• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Eating before bedtime

Foodio

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey,

What are your opinions with eating before bedtime?

I try not to eat two hours before going to bed because the metabolism slows when sleeping.

Thanks,
Foodio

I used to be one to believe eating before bed was an major contributor to gaining extra fat. Since I started lifting again I always have something before bed. Most of the time a smoothie made from milk, protein powder, frozen bananas, and canola or olive oil. You have to eat to grow. If you're lifting, don't starve your body while you sleep.
By the way. If my recipe sucks....please enlighten me. I'm never to old to learn and I want to do what's best.
Thanks.

------------------
On the Down Hill

i believe it's ok to eat before bed, as long as the total food intake is not over maintenance over the day. you already fast while you are sleeping, so it can only help recovery/anabolism to keep that time not too long until you eat again.

Thanks for the responses.

Eat before bed if you're trying to gain weight.

Yeah, I am trying to gain weight.
But wouldn???t eating before bed slow my metabolism, causing the food in my stomach to easily be converted in to fat (because I???m not active while sleeping)?

I want to gain legitimate mass (some muscle).

Thanks,
Foodio

<FONT COLOR="#000002" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[Edited 1 time by Foodio on 08-21-2001 at 07:43 AM]</font>

Originally posted by Foodio:
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I am trying to gain weight.
But wouldn???t eating before bed slow my metabolism, causing the food in my stomach to easily be converted in to fat (because I???m not active while sleeping)?

I want to gain legitimate mass (some muscle).

Thanks,
Foodio

I'm a hard gainer so consider the source, however I've found that if I eat a pure protein (i.e. no carbs like tuna from the can or something)before bed I gain quality mass. Similarly I've found that when I eat protein with carbs and fat (PB&J) before bed It goes straight to my gut.

------------------
Three people can keep a secret, so long as two of them are dead.

- Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Herc:
I'm a hard gainer so consider the source, however I've found that if I eat a pure protein (i.e. no carbs like tuna from the can or something)before bed I gain quality mass. Similarly I've found that when I eat protein with carbs and fat (PB&J) before bed It goes straight to my gut.

Good Point!
thumb.gif

------------------
Just because the majority believes it, does not make it true!

Eating before bed speeds the metabolism.

Food has a thermic effect, meaning just eating and digesting the food requires calories.

If you don't eat some carbs before bed ('bout 25g) you will become liver glucose depleted during the night, after approx 4 hours. When the liver is depleted of glucose it takes muscle proteins and converts them into glucose to saturate itself - muscle breakdown (exception is when in ketosis).

Sleep is one of the most anabolic times. If there is no material for this anabolism to take place, it won't...and then sleep becomes the most catabolic time.

So, eat about 30-50g of protein, 25g of carbs and 5-10g of fat before bed, and you'll be set.

------------------
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.

IML Gear Cream!
Herc, Prince, TheSupremeBeing, thanks for the response.

======================

I'm a pretty skinny guy:

Height: 6'1
Weight: 135 lbs (61.4 kg)

However, I can get to 145 lbs in a flash.

======================

Anyway, after lifting weights I've been having the following:

- 3 scrambled eggs with pepper
- on a whole wheat bun
- Little bit of ketchup
- Moderate amount of pepper

Would this be considered pure protein?

Is it good to take out a few of the yolks from the eggs?
I always take out one of the yolks.

======================

I have a very lean body mass, but I find that my gut area sticks out a little. I mean, to you it might not seem to be a lot, but I can notice it when I???m at my most relaxed state or looking at myself naked in the mirror.

When you guys say ???before bed??? do you mean right before bed or a couple hours before sleeping?

======================

What does anabolic and catabolic mean?

======================

Thanks

Anabolic = muscle growth.

Catabolic = muscle breakdown.

In your case, fookin EAT!!!!!

**** worrying about what's healthy, eating before bed, polysaccharides and all this other stuff your posting about for now....

Here's what you do.

Eat.

Lift.

Eat.

Sleep.

Repeat.

------------------
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.

TSB, what you said regarding the liver glycogen being depleted after about 4 hours was new to me, very interesting to know!

Foodio, don't expect to gain weight overnight. Building quality muscle takes time and diet is very important. Don't just eat anything, eat quality calories, more than you're daily requirement, and concentrate on eating plenty of quality protein, at least 200 grams daily in your case.

Man foodio, I am dying to see this so-called gut of yours. How can you possibly have any fat on you at 6'1 & 135 lbs!!?? As a side note, at your height and weight, I'd not worry about a bit of fat gain while bulking
smile.gif

------------------
Behind every great man is his BUTT

My FitPit

Dude.

Here's the deal and I know 'cause I lived much of my life as 6'1" 165lbs. (Your frame must be tiny 'cause I was a rail at 165lbs)

You need to Eat. I'm betting like me you're the type of person who eats to live as opposed to living to eat. I used to have days where at 6:00 PM I couldn't figure out why I was tired until I realized that I hadn't eaten for 24 hours. Your body is probably constantly in starvation mode which is why you have that belly you refered to. Basically any calorie your body sees it is going to save for later 'cause it's
1) not getting enough to sustain itself or
2) doesn't know when more are coming

Here's what I did to get out of that rut.
1)Gradually move to 6 meals a day. When you first start make the meals small so your body gets used to a regular intake of calories.
2)Make an eating schedule and stick to it, even if your not hungry
3)Eat Balanced meals even if they are small. (I used Balance Bars to start)
4)Switch your workout to lower weight / higher reps for now.
5)After workouts don't be afraid to eat big calories as long as it has big protein (remember 1 egg only equals 3 grams of protein) PB&J with a glass of milk works great.
6)Don't freak out when your belly grows a little. Your body has to adapt to this new way of eating. Once it does the belly will go away again and you'll start some serious eating (and lifting)
7)Water. Drink it. Constantly
8)Have a realistic goal. Here's a good one I can think of: Looking great on the Beach for Spring Break '02. If I've read your situation correctly it is very likely you'll grow like a weed once you start eating, with the right workouts and dedication in 8 months you could be awsome.

That's all I have for now
Good luck!

------------------

- Benjamin Franklin

Hey,
I appreciate the responses.

Herc, thanks for the big post???

====================

3)Eat Balanced meals even if they are small. (I used Balance Bars to start)

Other than Balance Bars what do you consider a balanced meal?

4)Switch your workout to lower weight / higher reps for now.

How come?

5)After workouts don't be afraid to eat big calories as long as it has big protein (remember 1 egg only equals 3 grams of protein) PB&J with a glass of milk works great.

I can???t just eat any calories right? I want to eat legit foods (no sweets).

7)Water. Drink it. Constantly

I drink about 12 to 14 cups a day.
Why is it so important to drink so much water?

Thanks

<FONT COLOR="#000002" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[Edited 1 time by Foodio on 08-22-2001 at 01:21 PM]</font>

I couldn't figure out how to quote all of your quotes so I'm going to wing it on your questions.

Balanced meal = approx. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I like balance bars because it is hard to find a good balance of nutrients in a small serving size.

Lower weight / Higher reps
Right now you are not trying to build new muscle as much as you are teaching your body how to use food effectively. By keeping your heart rate up and not tearing down your muscles as much you get your metabolism working on burning food instead of storing it.

Legit Food
Absolutly! however your body desprately needs carbs and protein after a hard workout. This is the one time when a few simple sugars (fruit is a quick source) arn't going to ruin you, in fact it will help in the long run. I put your current after workout meal into my handy dandy nutrition program and here are the totals (assuming extra large eggs)

Protein 18g
Carbs 22.7g
Fat 16.2
Tot. Cal 336

If you work out for 1 hour at even low intensity you've burned more than this meal replaces. As you start to modify your eating habits and your body adapts you'll eat easily twice this as a recovery meal.

Water
Muscle is like (ok someone remind me if I get the percentage wrong) 70% water. Between digestion and muscle repair/growth your body needs a ton. Basically it is the single best thing you can do for your body and muscles.

BTW: was I right about your eating habits?

------------------

- Benjamin Franklin

I always eat or have a meal replacement containing a whey,casein,albumin mix before bed...oh and usually a TBS of flax oil.When in a real intense gaining phase I will also wake in the middle of the night to have a protein drink.Make some of my best gains this way.

------------------
symmetry over size

IML Gear Cream!
i agree with the advise to eat a good meal after working out, however immidiately afterward it is advisable to have a shake with dextrose and wheyprotein (and creatine if you use that), because it will get to your muscles right away. food takes a while to digest.
regarding eggs: one large egg has 6 g protein, an xlarge egg has 7 g protein (not only 3)

Originally posted by cytrix:
regarding eggs: one large egg has 6 g protein, an xlarge egg has 7 g protein (not only 3)

You're right. I zipped down my list and looked at the first egg (small) and it said 3 grams.
BTW: Who uses small eggs anymore anyway?

------------------

- Benjamin Franklin

Hey,

Thanks, that post was really good!

BTW: was I right about your eating habits?

What do you mean? When you mentioned ???I eat to live??? rather than ???live to eat????

Actually, I like food (I???m not in dire need of it all the time), but yeah, I think if I wanted to I could destroy the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.
But usually, I don???t feel like eating way too much, but I could if I wanted to, I definitely have the ability to eat a f**k-load.

Thanks,
Foodio

Originally posted by Foodio:

Actually, I like food (I???m not in dire need of it all the time), but yeah, I think if I wanted to I could destroy the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.
But usually, I don???t feel like eating way too much, but I could if I wanted to, I definitely have the ability to eat a f**k-load.

Then go at it. Just think Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack instead of Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

------------------

- Benjamin Franklin

Back