• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

gynecomastasia

trojan570

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Im 17, 120 lbs, and have been working out for about 7 months, very regularly. I also have incorporated cardio on my off days. I started having this problem when all I did was play tennis, yet lazily, and didnt work out. also before I stated working out my diet was crap. Im also in the middle of puberty. Now my diet is high protein, no junk, 5 meals a day.
here are pics
DSC01869.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

I am planning on going to see a doctor, but are there any over the counter thing or herbs that i can take to help this.
they really are a damper on my self confidence.
thanks!

so any suggestions?
This was posted by one of our members, she was pretty knowledgeable.

Trouble was her name.....
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/general-health-awareness/64616-gyno.html#post1341128

Gynecomastia: the essentials
Guess I'll build us a little sticky article.

Background:

Gynecomastia is a benign enlargement of the male breast resulting from a proliferation of the glandular component of the breast.Gynecomastia results from an altered estrogen-androgen balance, in favor of estrogen, or increased breast sensitivity to a normal plasma concentrations of circulating estrogen level.

The predominant androgen, testosterone, is synthesized in males mainly by the Leydig cells of the testes (95%) and, to a much lesser extent, by zona reticularis cells of the adrenal cortex (5%). Two thirds of the circulating testosterone is bound to sex hormone�binding globulin (SHBG). Testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the target tissues (5-alpha reductase). DHT is often considered the active form of testosterone. Testosterone is under feedback regulation of luteinizing hormone (LH), secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain. Estrogen production in males is mainly from the peripheral conversion of androgens (ie, testosterone, androstenedione) through the action of the enzyme aromatase, mainly in muscle, skin, and adipose tissue.

The normal production ratio of testosterone to estrogen is approximately 100:1. The normal ratio of testosterone to estrogen in the circulation is approximately 300:1.

Generally, gynecomastia is a benign condition. Upon examination and medical evaluation, most patients are usually satisfied with a simple explanation of the condition and reassurance that the condition is benign, particularly if the enlargement is minimal. Surgical intervention is typically reserved for diagnostic purposes or for patients who request treatment. Most patients who visit a plastic surgeon request treatment for psychological reasons. These patients seek treatment because they find the condition embarrassing. They wear loose clothes and avoid exposure in showers and swimming pools, which greatly inhibits their activities of daily living.

Frequency: In the US: Gynecomastia is the most common cause for male breast evaluation. The frequency is highly variable based on the criteria used for defining the condition. In one study, a figure of 38% was reported in boys aged 10-16 years using a definition of breast tissue greater than 5 cm in diameter. In another series, gynecomastia was noted in approximately 10% of boys aged 12-17 years. In yet another report, gynecomastia was noted in 36% of young military recruits and in approximately 57% of men older than 50 years. Autopsy studies indicate a prevalence ranging from 4-40%.

Etiology:

Gynecomastia can be classified based on etiology. Idiopathic gynecomastia accounts for approximately 75% of cases. Physiologic gynecomastia occurs primarily in newborns and in adolescents at puberty. In the newborn, the neonatal breast results from the action of maternal estrogens, placental estrogens, or both in concert. The increased breast tissue usually disappears in a few weeks. Adolescent gynecomastia is common during puberty. The median age of onset is 14 years. Breast tissue growth is often asymmetrical, and the breasts are frequently tender. Adolescent gynecomastia usually regresses by age 20 years. However, residual gynecomastia may be present in one or both breasts.

Pathologic gynecomastia is due to testosterone deficiency, increased estrogen production, or increased conversion of androgens to estrogens. The pathological conditions associated with gynecomastia include congenital anorchia, Klinefelter syndrome, testicular feminization, hermaphroditism, adrenal carcinoma, liver disorders, and malnutrition.

Many pharmacological agents can cause gynecomastia. These drugs can be categorized by their mechanisms of action. The first type is drugs that act exactly like estrogens, such as diethylstilbestrol, birth control pills, digitalis, and estrogen-containing cosmetics. The second type is drugs that enhance endogenous estrogen formation, such as gonadotropins and clomiphene. The third type is drugs that inhibit testosterone synthesis and action, such as ketoconazole, metronidazole, and cimetidine. The final type is drugs that act by unknown mechanisms, such as isoniazid, methyldopa, captopril, tricyclic antidepressants, diazepam, and heroin.

From Wikipedia: Causes

Physiologic gynecomastia occurs in neonates, at puberty and with aging.

Potential pathologic causes of gynecomastia are: medications including hormones, increased serum estrogen, decreased testosterone production, androgen receptor defects, chronic kidney disease, chronic liver disease, HIV, and other chronic illness. Gynecomastia as a result of spinal cord injury and refeeding after starvation has been reported. In 25% of cases, the cause of the gynecomastia is not known.

Medications cause 10-20% of cases of gynecomastia. These include cimetidine, omeprazole, spironolactone, finasteride and certain antipsychotics. Some act directly on the breast tissue, while other lead to increased secretion of prolactin from the pituitary by blocking the actions of dopamine (prolactin-inhibiting factor/PIF) on the lactotrope cell groups in that organ. Androstenedione, used as a performance enhancing food supplement, can lead to breast enlargement by excess estrogen activity. Marijuana use is also thought by some to be a possible cause, but this is controversial.

Increased estrogen levels can also occur in certain testicular tumors, and in hyperthyroidism. Certain adrenal tumors cause elevated levels of androstenedione which is converted by the enzyme aromatase into estrone, a form of estrogen. Other tumors that secrete hCG can increase estrogen. A decrease in estrogen clearance can occur in liver disease, and this may be the mechanism of gynecomastia in liver cirrhosis. Obesity tends to increase estrogen levels.

Decreased testosterone production can occur in congenital or acquired testicular failure, for example in genetic disorders such as Klinefelter Syndrome. Diseases of the hypothalamus or pituitary can also lead to low testosterone. Abuse of anabolic steroids has a similar effect.

Although stopping these medications can lead to regression of the gynecomastia, surgery is sometimes necessary to eliminate the condition.

Diagnosis

The condition usually can be diagnosed by examination by a physician. Occasionally, imaging by X-rays or ultrasound is needed to confirm the diagnosis. Blood tests are required to see if there is any underlying disease causing the gynecomastia.

Prognosis

Gynecomastia is not physically harmful, but in some cases can be an indicator of other more dangerous underlying conditions. Furthermore, it can frequently present social and psychological difficulties for the sufferer. Weight loss can alter the condition in cases where it is triggered by obesity, but for many it will not eliminate it as the breast tissue remains.

Medical Care:

* Generally, no treatment is required for physiologic gynecomastia.

* In approximately 90% of patients, pubertal gynecomastia resolves spontaneously within several weeks to 3 years. Breasts greater than 4 cm in diameter may not completely regress.

* Identifying and managing an underlying primary disorder often alleviates breast enlargement.

* If hypogonadism (primary or secondary) is the cause, parenteral or transdermal testosterone replacement therapy is instituted.

* For patients with idiopathic gynecomastia or residual gynecomastia after treatment of the primary cause, medical or surgical treatment may be considered.

* Clomiphene, an antiestrogen, can be administered on a trial basis at a dose of 50-100 mg/d orally for up to 6 months. Approximately 50% of patients achieve partial reduction in breast size, and approximately 20% of patients note complete resolution. Outcomes vary with the type and duration of gynecomastia. Adverse effects are rare and include visual problems, rash, and nausea.

* Tamoxifen (Novladex), an estrogen antagonist, is effective for recent-onset and tender gynecomastia when used in doses of 10-20 mg orally twice daily. Up to 80% of patients report partial-to-complete resolution of gynecomastia within 3 months. Nausea and epigastric discomfort are the main adverse effects.

* Other drugs used less frequently include danazol and testolactone.

o Danazol, a synthetic derivative of testosterone, inhibits pituitary secretion of LH and FSH, which decreases estrogen synthesis from the testicles. The dose used for gynecomastia is 200 mg orally twice daily. Complete resolution of breast enlargement has been reported in 23% of cases. Adverse effects include weight gain, acne, muscle cramps, fluid retention, nausea, and abnormal liver function tests.

o Testolactone, a peripheral aromatase inhibitor, has been used with varying success rates (<40% decrease in size) in doses of 150 mg orally 3 times/d for 6 months. Nausea, vomiting, edema, and worsening of hypertension have been reported with its use.

Surgical Care: if the gyno doesn't resolve itself (adolescent gyno) naturally, nor later respond to *physican-ordered* pharmacological treatment.

* Reduction mammoplasty is considered for patients with macromastia or long-standing gynecomastia or in those in whom medical therapy failed. It is also considered for cosmetic reasons (and accompanying psychosocial reasons).

* If surgery is necessary for patients with lipomastia (ie, pseudogynecomastia), liposuction may suffice.

Sources:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic934.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic125.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia

Im also in the middle of puberty.

You're in the middle of puberty at seventeen? Hmmm.:hmmm:

I'm with Min0....Trouble was usually on the money (and intellectually scary:gosh:)

I would give it some time, and if no changes take place after an extended period, go see your Doctor. Other than that, keep eating like a mad man, aggravate your parents and chase girls.:thumb:

You need an effective antiestrogen treatment. Tamoxifen or something like that

You're in the middle of puberty at seventeen? Hmmm.:hmmm:

I'm with Min0....Trouble was usually on the money (and intellectually scary:gosh:)

I would give it some time, and if no changes take place after an extended period, go see your Doctor. Other than that, keep eating like a mad man, aggravate your parents and chase girls.:thumb:

late bloomer, I know. as for the chasing girls part, its all relative ;) . does anyone have any articles relating turmeric extract to gynecomastasia? i couldnt find any

late bloomer, I know. as for the chasing girls part, its all relative ;) . does anyone have any articles relating turmeric extract to gynecomastasia? i couldnt find any

How is gynecomastia treated?

Gynecomastia: When Breasts Form in Males -- familydoctor.org

In most cases, no treatment is needed. Your doctor will probably want to check the size of your breast tissue every few months. In 90% of teenage boys, gynecomastia goes away in less than 3 years.

Sometimes the problem can be solved if you stop taking a medicine that is causing gynecomastia or stop using an illegal drug that is causing the problem.

Occasionally, medicines may be used to treat gynecomastia, especially if tenderness is a problem. The medicine will make the extra breast tissue go away. Rarely, surgery may be necessary to remove the extra breast tissue.

If gynecomastia is caused by a disease or a tumor, treatment is necessary . If gynecomastia is caused by a disease, the disease itself will need to be treated.

Gynecomastia (enlarged breasts in men): Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

I would wait it out before going on a hunt for a cure. JMHO.

daMayor, i'm sick of waiting, it has been about a year already. I think I will try an otc anti estrogen supp. are there any side effects of those though?

Drugs, creams and typical acne cures sometimes work in a partial way but the results are temporary and the side effects are nasty. The tiny handful acne sufferers who have learned how to clear their acne from within and without ever using drugs or over the counters are the only people in the world who keep their skin clear permanently. Now you can learn these clear skin secrets from online site

Drugs, creams and typical acne cures sometimes work in a partial way but the results are temporary and the side effects are nasty. The tiny handful acne sufferers who have learned how to clear their acne from within and without ever using drugs or over the counters are the only people in the world who keep their skin clear permanently. Now you can learn these clear skin secrets from online site

soo do you :spam: here often?

Back