PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Research

mjt1380
03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

In a few days, I am planning on posting a link to a research study I'm working and I wanted to introduce myself first. I've been working with a research team at Touro University for the past year and we're conducting a survey to learn more about people's exercise habits and their supplement and steroid use. The research should debunk some popular exercise and performance enhancement myths -- and hopefully teach us a lot about current fitness and steroid use trends.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!
-Mike

ZECH
03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
No one here takes steroids, sorry.

mjt1380
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
We are actually hoping to get information from non-steroid users about exercise habits and supplement use, so if you don't do steroids that's fine. But the survey is completely anonymous (we can't track surveys back to IP addresses, computers or anything else that would potentially be identifying), so if you do happen to use steroids you can fill this out correctly without any concern :-)

Just let me know if you have any other questions about our study or anything else.

Thanks all!
-Mike

mjt1380
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
And we do have a handful of publications we are hoping to get out of this, but just so you know our big goals:

1. Get up-to-date information about what people are currently taking during their cycles (and for PCT) and in what amounts.
2. Show that steroid users are generally an educated and savvy group that put a lot of planning and thought into what they put into their bodies (and how they treat their bodies in general).
3. Show that steroids don't exhibit typical addictive drug traits (or show that they do if that happens to be the case).

There are other things we hope to get out of this, but those are some of the top ones.

-Mike

mjt1380
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi again everyone,

Here is the link to the survey I mentioned earlier. If you have 10-15 minutes, please fill out our anonymous survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/touroexerciseresearch

Just let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thanks!
-Mike

Pirate!
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM
2. Show that steroid users are generally an educated and savvy group that put a lot of planning and thought into what they put into their bodies (and how they treat their bodies in general).
3. Show that steroids don't exhibit typical addictive drug traits (or show that they do if that happens to be the case).
-Mike

Hey Mike, Check out the profile the FBI put together a few years ago on steroid users. Above average income, education etc. Family men with little to no criminal history...very unique for illegal drug use. Not sure where to find it, but's on the web.

mjt1380
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
That's interesting! There is actually already research out there that shows this to be the case, but we're hoping to further enforce that with our survey. I'll definitely search around for the FBI's profile.

Thanks!
-Mike

mjt1380
03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
And I can see that we're are getting some surveys filled out, so thanks to everyone who is helping!

mjt1380
03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a quick update: we have about 700 surveys currently completed and 160+ steroid users.

Some interim data:

-Under 10% of steroid users are using insulin for it's anabolic properties (we have a detailed insulin section, so if you use insulin, we encourage you to complete the survey).
-10% of respondents use steroids year round.
-27% of steroid users don't use multiple steroids at once (i.e., they don't stack).

That is just some really basic data I was able to quickly grab, so I wanted to give an update and thank everyone who has completed the survey.

Thanks!
-Mike

mjt1380
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone,

We just have a couple weeks left for this. If you can, check it out if you haven't already.

Thanks again!
-Mike

mjt1380
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Only about a week left, so I wanted to give this another bump. Trying to get a strong, final push!

Thanks!
-Mike

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

Our research advisor wants us to continue collecting data for an extra month, so we're keeping this up a bit longer. We currently have almost 1,700 surveys taken and 754 AAS users (400 of those have completed the survey completely). Our goal is to get 500 complete AAS surveys, so 100 more!

Take a look if you haven't already: Touro University College of Pharmacy- Exercise and Medication/Supplements Utilization Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/touroexerciseresearch)

Thanks again!
-Mike

P-funk
05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Mike,

sorry to get this thread off track for a second, but is this (http://www.tuiu.edu/)the Touro University you attend? As there is two different sites, the one I posted above (Touro International and then this (http://www.tu.edu/) one which seems to be different). I am just unsure if they are affiliated or what the deal is. For the former one, I had been looking at the PhD in Health Sciences program and was wondering that was the program you are currently enrolled in.

Thanks,

Patrick

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey Patrick,

I don't believe they're affiliated, but let me get my partner on here and he'll be able to better answer you (he's a professor at Touro in Vallejo).

Thanks!
-Mike

P-funk
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Mike.

I am really interested in the flexibility of the Touro International Program (since you can do the curriculum via the internet) but I don't know how much of a pain in the butt it would be when it comes time to do the research and gather info for your dissertation, as it appears that you are on your own to find an advisor in your area to work under and research under (which would be tough - but maybe I can get someone at ASU).

Patrick

P-funk
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
which program are you enrolled in?

patrick

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I actually don't go to Touro. My only connection with them is from Eric (the professor there) and this research.

P-funk
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh, are you a researcher for a different university? Are you a student somewhere else?

patrick

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
No, I'm done with school (Exercise Science at UC Davis). I've been the exercise consultant for this survey and helped with different tasks through the process.

P-funk
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
No, I'm done with school (Exercise Science at UC Davis). I've been the exercise consultant for this survey and helped with different tasks through the process.

Oh sweet! Was that a bachelors? Do you work in the field currently (aside from consulting for this study).

patrick

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it was a bachelors. And I do work in a fitness-related job ... can't beat it!

mjt1380
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey Patrick,

Here's Eric's answer:

Touro International is affiliated with our school. We are the California campus that includes a Doctor of Pharmacy, Doctor of Osteopathic, Physician Assistant/MPH, and Education program.

Not sure if that answers your question?

Thanks,
Mike

mjt1380
05-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Just wanted to give this another bump -- thanks!

P-funk
05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey Patrick,

Here's Eric's answer:

Touro International is affiliated with our school. We are the California campus that includes a Doctor of Pharmacy, Doctor of Osteopathic, Physician Assistant/MPH, and Education program.

Not sure if that answers your question?

Thanks,
Mike

yea, that is what i was wondering. thanks!

patrick

mjt1380
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Alright everyone ... it looks like this will really (hopefully) be the final week we'll be collecting data! We are up to 471 complete AAS surveys and nearly 2,100 total surveys taken. We are stopping data collection once we reach 500 AAS surveys, so we're hoping that will happen within the next few days.

Thanks again for all the help!

Touro University College of Pharmacy- Exercise and Medication/Supplements Utilization Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/touroexerciseresearch)

-Mike

mjt1380
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey guys,

We're at 497 (stuck there for the last day, actually :-) If by some miracle there are still a few of you out there that haven't done this, please check it out.

Thanks again, and I'll be back with the interesting stuff when you hear from me next!

Thanks,
Mike

b1ggjoe
12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow!!