• 3 cups low fat/low sodium chicken broth
• 1/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms or button mushrooms
• 2 large stalks lemongrass, peeled, trimmed
• 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 1/2 cup cup cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in pieces
• 6 tender and thin asparagus spears, cut diagonally in one inch pieces
• 2 green onions, cut diagonally in thin slices
• Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
Cut trimmed and peeled lemongrass stalks into 3 to 4 inch pieces. Cut each piece in half lengthwise. Tie the lemongrass into a bundle with cotton twine. Combine broth, lemongrass, sliced shiitake mushrooms and pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat immediately and simmer, uncover for ten minutes.
Remove the lemongrass bundle from the broth. Add the asparagus and chicken. Simm for another 3 minutes or until heated through. Asparagus should be crisp but tender. Remove from heat, add green onions. Divide among four bowls and garnish with fresh chopped basil.
" To dream anything you want to dream: That is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything you want to do: That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits: that is the courage to succeed."