• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

can't wide stance deep squat

Terok`Nor

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
when I try to put my feet parallel in a wide stance, I can only squat upto the quads being parallel, and any lower than that my hip flexors start hurting

how can I improve this to deep squat?
I've been told box squats help but I don't understand how?

Wide stance (eventually sumo squats) are very heavy on the hip flexors. I would know for sure that I am weaker doing this type of movement because I dont do them, same for a wide stance deadlift.

When doing a box squat you sit down on a box. The height of the box should be such that you are in a sitting position with your hips lower than your knees. Try them with an empty bar first to get the feel for it.

Try pointing your toes outward just a bit. The guy that owns the gym I go to is a powerlifter. Powerlifters almost always go wide stance. He suggested pointing toes out to me when I had similar problems. Powerlifters also do a lot of box squats, but I'm not sure why.

Originally posted by Terok`Nor
when I try to put my feet parallel in a wide stance, I can only squat upto the quads being parallel, and any lower than that my hip flexors start hurting

how can I improve this to deep squat?
I've been told box squats help but I don't understand how?

This was my problem too.

I can go Parallel now. you just have to give it time and be sure to stretch before you start your squats.

When my feet are closer together and not pointed out, I can go arse to the floor no problem. Only thing with this is, you have to make a concious effort to squeeze your quads and glutes on the way up and down. Focus.

Originally posted by Rob_NC
Powerlifters almost always go wide stance.

Shorter distance to travel, but definitely harder for me because I dont train that way.

That's how I do my squats Mudge, which is why I had hip problems.

Ouch, that sux. I never liked the look of it myself, and I'm not a PL so I live with my feet about a foot apart or so, sometimes more but not by a whole lot.

Wide stance sucks if you're not used to it. You're muscles will however eventually adapt. Just keep practicing. When I first started powerlifting I began using wide stance, after my muscles stopped hurting I found it a lot easier when pushing up heavier weight. But, for workout I seem to get a much better burn from just regular stance.

IML Gear Cream!
Yep, if I put my feet parallel it does hurt even more
I'm not a PL but I do intend to lift the most weight I can for squats, so I go as wide as I can before I can't go deep squat anymore. i guess i'll just keep at it

Back