• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

Obama announces plans to withdraw from Iraq

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Obama announces plans to withdraw from Iraq

The president says U.S. forces will number 50,000 by the end of the month.

By Kathleen Hennessey, Tribune Washington Bureau
August 2, 2010|9:23 a.m.

ATLANTA ??? President Obama on Monday announced plans to withdraw combat forces in Iraq, providing assurances that an Aug. 31 deadline will be met as the U.S. moves toward a supporting role in the still-fractured and dangerous nation.

U.S. forces in Iraq will number 50,000 by the end of the month ??? a reduction of 94,000 troops since he took office 18 months ago, the president said in remarks to the Disabled American Veterans. The remaining troops will form a transitional force until a final withdrawal from the country is completed by the end of 2011, he said.

"Already we have closed or turned over to Iraq hundred of bases. We're moving out millions of pieces of equipment in one of the largest logistic operations we've seen in decades," Obama said. "Make no mistake, our commitment in Iraq is changing ??? from a military effort led by our troops to a civilian effort led by our diplomats."

Get dispatches from Times correspondents around the globe delivered to your inbox with our daily World newsletter. Sign up »

The president's update served as an opportunity to claim a campaign promise nearly fulfilled ??? a message that will be repeated in a series of similar events in the coming weeks. Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and other administration officials will be speaking across the country to tout the successful strategy in Iraq, the White House said.

The focus on progress in Iraq comes as Obama tries to regain Congress' confidence that the American-led mission in Afghanistan is succeeding. Last week, 102 Democrats in the House voted against a $59 billion appropriation for both wars, 70 more than opposed a war spending bill a year ago.

The number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan ??? 33,000 when Obama took office ??? will have nearly tripled to 96,000 by September, but a fact sheet released by the White House notes that the total number of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan will have dropped from 177,000 to 146,000 by the end of August.

There is still much work to be done in Iraq. Politicians remain deadlocked in their attempts to form a new coalition government. The five-month stalemate is expected to stretch into the fall, leaving it all but certain that U.S. combat troops will leave the country without an Iraqi government in place.

The long-term success of security efforts is also uncertain. Iraqi government statistics showed a sharp increase in civilian casualties in last month, although the U.S. military disputed those numbers.

The president made note of the continued dangers, saying, "There are still those with bombs and bullets who will try to stop Iraq's progress. The hard truth is we have not seen the end of American sacrifice in Iraq."

Still, the administration has shown no sign of wavering from the August deadline. A transitional government is functioning and stable, said White House spokesman Bill Burton.

"It's something that the president is watching and obviously we're doing what we can to help facilitate them along, " Burton said. "That there is a functional transitional government in place right now is a sign that this process is working. "

Obama was scheduled to attend a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee later in the day.

This news has been out for a while now, atleast here in the military community. The Military as a whole is in the process of downgrading its personnel sizes. More/easier article 15's and chapters. Back to the good 'ol days of survival of the fittest.

I dont think Iraq is capable of self government at this point. I don't really care other than it will destabilize the region more and we will be back in 5 yrs or so.

I dont think Iraq is capable of self government at this point. I don't really care other than it will destabilize the region more and we will be back in 5 yrs or so.

If that happen we will all be buying gas at 4.50 a gal:coffee:

The title of this thread should be "Obama tries to appease and energize leftists in the face of a disastrous midterm election cycle for Dems"

I believe this was based on a withdrawal treaty or agreement signed two years ago no? I remember vaguely something about being out by 12-11?

sara is from iraq.

I think she should be banned

true story

jerseyshorepunch.gif
:shooter:we should all do this to sara

ha

I think that's broski before he had to move to bel air

ok. now i've had my laugh so someone delete my posts before she gets home and reads them.

ROID doesn't like the couch

ha

ok. now i've had my laugh so someone delete my posts before she gets home and reads them.

:shooter:
I watched that ep..she tried to take his drink.. and got blasted

IML Gear Cream!
ha

Sara is going to open your anus wide and insert her Iraqi foot so deep you'll need an act of Congress to have it removed.,..

For the record the troop reduction and full removal by 2011 was a plan set by Bush

This has been ongoing, for a long while, and it always seems like its extended. From what I understand, things are supposed to turn to a peace keeping operation, so there will be a decent amount of troops who remain for that purpose. As long as there is a sizable opposition, there will always be turmoil in the country. But, has there really been progress along the way? Still have bombs going off, and apparently its not slowing down. If American and other troops are only positioning themselves between the two sides, is there really much a point? So much has been put into this supposed "war on terror" including thousands of lives.

This news has been out for a while now, atleast here in the military community. The Military as a whole is in the process of downgrading its personnel sizes. More/easier article 15's and chapters. Back to the good 'ol days of survival of the fittest.

GOOD!!! the military needs to get rid of most of those turds!!! i have seen the standard fall SO far since '98

I believe this was based on a withdrawal treaty or agreement signed two years ago no? I remember vaguely something about being out by 12-11?

yes..Bush signed it before he left office. The actual agreement terms, etc. were proposed by the Dems.

basically nothing has changed...the government is still corrupt and neither the Sunni or Shia want to be ruled by the other...7 years of fighting in Iraq and how many billions of dollars spent, 4K+ lives lost and for what?

Back