• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

American Obesity Epidemic

Big Smoothy

Windy City
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
We've all been reading about the obesity epidemic in the USA in recent years. It is now considered so bad that health care costs are being tallied.

But the real thing that surprises me is just looking at people. Where I live obesity is likely less than 3%.

When I return to the states to visit I see people with butts that are 3 feet wide. Waistlines are gargantuan. Ankles swollen. Do you ever notice this at restaurants, malls, and other public places?

Some studies says it's because calorie intake has increased. Some nutriontionist link it to large portions and 'super-sizing.' Today, some researchers began pointing their fingers at fructose, the corn ingredient that sweetens sodas. One doctor claims there is an obesity virus. Sedentary lifestyle. Suburban dependance on the car. It's likely a combination of several interlinking factors.

Please add your thoughts and opinions, observations.

Do you think this fattening trend can be reversed in the foreseable future?

I put this post here, hoping it's in the right place.

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and I saw an overweight woman rip open a bag of Trans Fat laden cookies and start stuffing them in her mouth. Then she gave some to her fat kid.

Horrible.

I have so much to say on this topic but I've gotta run to a meeting...more later.

If suicide is considered a crime. Why not build a law to make suicidal lifestyle a crime too ? :shrug:

People just don't get it. They are waiting for a miracle pill that just melts fat off while they sit on their rear and watch tv. It's not gonna happen watching tv nor is that miracle pill ever gonna come! Until people start cutting back on what they eat, watch portion sizes and calories, plus add in excercise of some sort to the mix they will continue to stay large.

I have a sister, she has been very large for years. At one point she use to weigh 115 pounds. She had gone to Weight Watchers and lost a good amount of weight to reach that weight, she had her third child, over time the weight came back and more. She started back at Weight Watchers not long after the Holidays, she has dropped 40lbs if not more. My Mom would consistantly say to me that I should help her...But until that person is ready to see there is a problem, you can not help them. It has to be a decision they make on their own. When that happens, then give them the tools needed to reach their goal or just be there for the support they will need. JMO.

Another thing -- I think the recent "Carb Watching" diets are a good thing. Simply stated because I think once people get a taste of weight loss, we want more and then look for other ways to accomplish this. This is our nature as an individual -- once we get a taste of the "good stuff", we automatically look for ways to get it more often and get more of it.

In turn, I think this spurs people's interest to get into a gym and take on some physcial activity.

Yes, I think Americans can change their physiques, we're a vain country, that's why plastic surgery and weight loss surgeries are so prominant in this country. I am not the exception in this example.

Another downfall of Americans is the availability of convenience, i.e., fast food restaurants and delivery. I think too many times, we're tired from working all day and don't really wanna cook. It is much easier to stop at Chik-Fil-A or Mickey D's and pick up burgers and fries. I AM the exception in this example.

All good points and all good information. But Jodie is right, until the individual person decides to change their ways and habits, we will continue to be a FAT nation.

FYI, I am NOT part of the fat nation.

Originally posted by JLB001
People just don't get it. They are waiting for a miracle pill that just melts fat off while they sit on their rear and watch tv. It's not gonna happen watching tv nor is that miracle pill ever gonna come! Until people start cutting back on what they eat, watch portion sizes and calories, plus add in excercise of some sort to the mix they will continue to stay large.
I couldn't agree with you more.

what i love is when you watch a news telecast and they have a report on american obesity and they show closeups of fat peoples arses walking down the street, i crack up whenever i see those, then i break out and do about 20 pushups

I take alot of pride in not being in that statistic...

Originally posted by JLB001

I have a sister, she has been very large for years. At one point she use to weigh 115 pounds. She had gone to Weight Watchers and lost a good amount of weight to reach that weight, she had her third child, over time the weight came back and more. She started back at Weight Watchers not long after the Holidays, she has dropped 40lbs if not more. My Mom would consistantly say to me that I should help her...But until that person is ready to see there is a problem, you can not help them. It has to be a decision they make on their own. When that happens, then give them the tools needed to reach their goal or just be there for the support they will need. JMO.

I was looking for the magic pill up until a year ago when I started lifing again and more recently eating cleaner. There are a few folks in my life that I wish I could convince to eat better. But like is was said by JLB001, you cannot help those who do not want help. I am trying to lead by example, maybe I can help that way.

IML Gear Cream!
i have slowly started to convert my mom into a better eater, but there still is a long way to go. the best is as you said to lead by example, people always wonder why i have so much energy and i just say i workout like a madman and eat really clean, i then get all exited and gitty as a school boy hyping them up on the benefits, hopefully i can change a few minds on it

Originally posted by aztecwolf
what i love is when you watch a news telecast and they have a report on american obesity and they show closeups of fat peoples arses walking down the street, i crack up whenever i see those, then i break out and do about 20 pushups
(Sad but True) Everybody in my extended family(mother's side) is obese. Everytime I eat-out with them, they always crack jokes about what & how much I eat. Usually it is not really that healthy, but it isn't what they might typically eat. But for some strange reason, whenever I look at them eat, it makes my hunger decrease. They are always complaining about their weight, they usually are on the "Diet Coke" Diet(order everything on the menu, supersized & a Diet Coke), and have health and self-esteem problems. I try to get them to eat better, but they always complain that it doesn't taste as good.

You have to work for what you want, everything comes with a price.

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
(Sad but True) Everybody in my extended family(mother's side) is obese. Everytime I eat-out with them, they always crack jokes about what & how much I eat. Usually it is not really that healthy, but it isn't what they might typically eat. But for some strange reason, whenever I look at them eat, it makes my hunger decrease. They are always complaining about their weight, they usually are on the "Diet Coke" Diet(order everything on the menu, supersized & a Diet Coke), and have health and self-esteem problems. I try to get them to eat better, but they always complain that it doesn't taste as good.

You have to work for what you want, everything comes with a price.

Haha I feel ya man, "diet coke" :rolleyes: :nope: it's too funny.

Look at the bulk of the American diet.

Giant bag of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil washed down with a liter of high fructose corn syrup. (Thats just a snack!)

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
they usually are on the "Diet Coke" Diet(order everything on the menu, supersized & a Diet Coke)

:grin: That is funny and sad. It is the same thing as the "fat loss product" diet.

When I do venture back home to visit my Mom, I usually stop at the food store to pick up foods I will eat or bring it with me when cutting. She looks at me like I am completely nuts when I take out a package of chicken and a bag of frozen veggies. Then...as I am cooking the chicken, she'll ask 50 questions as to what I am cooking it with(usually just steak seasoning, opions, shrooms in a pan with some pam.). When its done, she'll ask to try it...then tell me it is good, and then proceed to tell me another 50 reasons why she can't eat healthy. I don't get it. She'll also be the one telling me I am not eatting heathly and that my health suffers because I'm not eatting good. :scratch: I guess good to her is pizza and McD's. My favorite is when she tells me I am getting too skinny! I'm like hell, I'm 120lbs and about 9% bodyfat when she tells me that crap. And then tells me I finally have shapely legs! Go figure...I get the bad genetics in that dept. from her.

Oh...when we do Krispy Kremes...its usually a dozen, 6 for me and 6 for Craig and two diet cokes. LMAO less guilty feeling. :thumb:

Fat individuals have the best excuses for nothing eating healthy. They are very smart. :D

I always get a kick out of people stuffing their faces with donuts as they are pulling out of dunkin donuts as I am pulling in to get my coffee.

I do think the food industry should bear a lot of the blame. Its important to know what you eat, but they hide a lot of crap in there. They are tricky SOB's.

Also, I am not obese here, but I would be considered plus size if I moved to Greece.

Where I live, I see obese people all the time. When you see them as a family, even the kids are obese.

If you happen to see an obese family eating, where is it? It's at MickyD's and the like. These idiots eat it 4 times or more a week.
(BTW, I'm basing it on the fast food bags I see some of my neighbors brining in when they come home).

If people want to eat themselves to death, I guess that's thier choice. It's sad and pathetic, really.

Then again, I don't think my tax dollars should have to pay for the health problems they will get later. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. You do it to yourself, you PAY for it yourself.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Look at the school lunches. Not the best thing to be eating. Look at how many schools have soda machines and whatnot in them. What, exactly, are we telling the kids?

We are not going to convince those adults that choose to eat fast food everyday. We (as a society) *might* be able to convince children to do so. The adults, I fear, might be a lost cause.

IML Gear Cream!
According to the Governments criteria I am obese, despite being around 10% BF. :shrug:

i'm still 20 pounds away from NOT being part of that majority.

From expereince, I can tell you its a lot of things. Mostly its the "I have no time" and "its my genetics" are how we/they rationalize it.

For me, it was the fateful day on 7/21 when I said "I'm done being fat"

a few triathlons and some serious weight/cardio work months later, I'm about 30 pounds away from 10% BF. I can't fucking wait.

Originally posted by Flex
I didnt take the time to read all the posts,

but i think the #1 reason is cuz people wait til it's too late.

then u wake up, look in the mirror and say
"shit i'm fat"
that will never happen to me again.....

Originally posted by wrestlos
"shit i'm fat"

well, thats not what most people say i guess

Originally posted by zakk
i'm still 20 pounds away from NOT being part of that majority.

From expereince, I can tell you its a lot of things. Mostly its the "I have no time" and "its my genetics" are how we/they rationalize it.

For me, it was the fateful day on 7/21 when I said "I'm done being fat"

a few triathlons and some serious weight/cardio work months later, I'm about 30 pounds away from 10% BF. I can't fucking wait.

good for you bro, thats great to hear:thumb:

Originally posted by wrestlos
"shit i'm fat"

i say this everyday

Originally posted by greekblondechic
i say this everyday

ya, you should be ashamed weighing all of 83lbs:crazy:

well, you know how you always make fun of me...i have the "opposite complex" of you, and they both suck:headbang:

i don't know the whole story regarding the McDonalds being sued but I think it is funniest thing when the person sued McDonalds and won, they were blaming them for being fat and what not. :haha:

umm i weigh almost double that.. check out my fat ass!

<--Exhibit A, Fat Ass.

Back