• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

carbohydrates

arbntmare

StudentDentistTeethPuller
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
hmm what would happen if i cut all carbohydrates for few weeks?well not all cause thats nearly impossible.. but do u get my drift?

You would put your body in a state of ketosis.

Why do we want to be in Ketsosis?: We want to be in a metabolic state where, without incoming carbs, and without consuming too many grams of dietary fat or protein, our bodies will be burning stored bodyfat as fuel. Positive side effects of being in ketosis are that it can be protein sparing (allowing us to retain lean body mass) and that it can lead to a decrease in appetite for some people.

You wouldn't enter ketosis if you're protein & fat was kept high. If you eliminate carbs you must increase your fats to compensate...do not stay low fat w/o carbs...you need a source of energy, otherwise your protein will be used for energy...expensive, inefficient & unnecessary...you want your protein to be used for tissue repair, not energy.

Well, I just started reading Faigin's Natural Hormonal Enhancement. I like the idea that he post references after each chapter. So far, it's been a good read with alot of good info. So I'm going to give it a shot along with my wife. But first I'm gonna finish the book so I have a better understanding of what's what.

Sounds like the kind of book you might be interested in W8lifter. I had to order mine online, as it's evidently not sold in bookstores in the US. (Meaning, it's not on the shelves at B & N, and even amazon.com links it one of its Zsites).

BTW, in the book, you go to <20 grams of carbs a day for a 7 day period, then it goes up a bit for each meal - so it's probably not necessary to go for weeks with a minimal amount. (He has carbo load days). I think the idea is just to get the body to start eating fat, then maintain that status.

hm sounds like what i want.. hehe.. only problem is how do i do it? my problem is i like bread... and lately i been eating alot of peanut butter which has about the same ratio of proteins in it...

w8lift what i do?

Originally posted by w8lifter
You wouldn't enter ketosis if you're protein & fat was kept high. If you eliminate carbs you must increase your fats to compensate...do not stay low fat w/o carbs...you need a source of energy, otherwise your protein will be used for energy...expensive, inefficient & unnecessary...you want your protein to be used for tissue repair, not energy.

The body can only store a two-day supply of glucose in the form of glycogen, so after two days of consuming no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates, most people go into ketosis.

A word of caution is necessary at this time: there can be unpleasant side effects from the state of ketosis and this diet in general.

This diet, with its high intake of meats, cheeses and other high fat foods, can present serious health problems. Potential health problems include cardiac problems, especially for those already at risk for heart disease, increased cholesterol levels and even kidney damage. Along with these serious risks, comes the risk of unpleasant breath from the state of ketosis.

<< hmm that doesn't sound too good.. am i at risk of that.. i am 19 years old and my father and uncles all had history of heart problems..

hmm is there a side effect of loss of energy?? this article on ketosis that your energy improves but i have heard otherwise

Originally posted by Prince

The body can only store a two-day supply of glucose in the form of glycogen, so after two days of consuming no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates, most people go into ketosis.

Really, cause I've been under 25 carbs since last thursday (6 days) and I just tested and I'm negative.

If someone's diet is 75-80% fat, as in a ketogenic diet, then yes, you'll enter ketosis. But this has you consuming far too much protein to allow you to enter ketosis.

arbntmare....I have not experienced any energy loss at all. I will come back later w/ something to get you started.

w8lifter u forgot about me?:)

When I restrict my carbs, my energy leve just plummets. I don't do that any more but I'm not going after competition either. Just trying to get better with age.

Originally posted by arbntmare
w8lifter u forgot about me?:)

This was meant for you!

<< hmm that doesn't sound too good.. am i at risk of that.. i am 19 years old and my father and uncles all had history of heart problems..

The important thing to remember is the above diet is NOT a ketogenic diets. One of the things I hate about keto's is you are encouraged to get your fat any way you can....cheese, bacon, etc...not the best choices. W/ this diet, you're main fat sources are EFA's....the healthy fats.

Read this too

Not much time right now...I'll be back w/ more info later ;)

Originally posted by Bigtex111
When I restrict my carbs, my energy leve just plummets. I don't do that any more but I'm not going after competition either. Just trying to get better with age.

If you increase your fat intake you will not suffer from low energy. Different diets work for different people, but always remember....if carbs are low, then fat must be high!

Also, there is about a 3-5 day adjustment period! Once you start oxidizing fats for fuel more efficiently, you actually feel better! Poliquin does this with his athletes, almost all sports. Men are taken down to 8% or below, and women 12% unless their sport dictates lower, such as sprinters! He employs a cheat meal (any thing goes) or day (up tp 25% carbs) for those near or at their goal!

As for those wishing to enter ketosis, and I don't recommend it for fat loss, w8 is right. higher fat keeps protein from being converted to glucose (at a rate up to 58%, by a process called hepatic gluconeogenesi)! Because of liver size, women enter ketosis quicker than men!

FC

Last edited:
Originally posted by Fat Cell
As for those wishing to enter ketosis, and I don't recommend it for fat loss, w8 is right. higher fat keeps protein from being converted to glucose (at a rate up to 58%, by a process called hepatic gluconeogenesi)! Because of liver size, women enter ketosis quicker than men!
FC

Fat Cell will you please elaborate and explain hepatic gluconeogenesis.

Thanks.

IML Gear Cream!
Yeah...what Prince said!:confused: :scratch:

Originally posted by Prince

Fat Cell will you please elaborate and explain hepatic gluconeogenesis.

Thanks.

Sorry, didn't see this till today! I would suggest a search for a scientific explanation, maybe google!

For the nutshell version, the reason why we don't need carbohydrates to survive (despite the myth) is the liver's ability to convert protein, at up to 58% and fat at up to 10% to serum glucose. (Hepatic Gluconeogenesis) The brain is always crying out for sugar, and is a major consumer!

This is the reason why we never eat protein alone on a cut, elevated glucose may cause insulin surges that not only halt fat oxidation (fat can not be oxidized (burned) in the presence of high insulin levels), but may also lead to fat storage (lipogenesis) in insulin resistant individuals! Insulin itself may convert to a triglyceride, to glycerol, to fat!

ALWAYS GET PROTEIN WITH FAT AND OR FIBER, AN EXCEPTION WOULD BE POST W/O AND THEN ONLY IN THOSE WITH FASTER METABOLISMS!

When bulking, this allows for slower gastric emptying, allowing protein to stay with you longer for repair and synthesis of muscle tiissue. If cutting, this surpress insulin and keeps you in "fat burning space" longer!

FC

Whenever I need to quickly shed bodyfat and subcutaneous water for photo shoots or whatever, I will bring my carbs down to around 30 grams per day for a week or more. When you do this, the first thing you will notice is an increase in definition, due to water loss. Soon after you will begin to lose bodyfat at a heightened rate. However, if you do not keep protein high, and fats at least medium, you will also experience a loss of lean body mass. Energy will wane at first, but your body will adjust.

Low carb diets can be quite tricky and must be handled correctly in order to yield positive results.

I have found that low carb/high protein/medium fat diets have been most successful in transforming my clients' physiques. When I am dieting for a competition I normally utilize a cyclical low carb diet that calls for 4-6 very low carb days followed by a 1-2 day carb up.

The types of proteins, fats, carbs, and supplements are essential to getting the most out of this plan.

Back