• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Can't back squat because of injuries.

RasPlasch

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Several years ago I injured my back. Ever since I haven't been able to perform back squats. The only weight I can handle is around 115 or around there. Instead I have been doing front squats. They don't irritate my back. I max out around 190-200lbs for front squat. Which is why I feel back squatting 115 is a waste of time for me.

Should I stick with just doing front squats?

I am open to anything that will help.

What was your injury? Maybe your form is wrong. Have you seen a doctor? Have you had X-rays or MRIs?

What was your injury? Maybe your form is wrong. Have you seen a doctor? Have you had X-rays or MRIs?

Stress fracture in a lower vertabrae. Form could be wrong as I have not asked anyone to critique my form. I have had several MRI's and I went to a sports facility/doctor.

I only do fronts, too. Same reason.

Fronts are the SHIT! No need to do back squats ever if you do fronts. I get better quad stimulation with less weight, less torque and better form.

My .02

I only do fronts, too. Same reason.

Fronts are the SHIT! No need to do back squats ever if you do fronts. I get better quad stimulation with less weight, less torque and better form.

My .02

Thanks for the reply. I always feel bad cause all I ever hear about squats is somewhat like...."You gotta do back squats to get big!" I never hear anything about front squats getting you big.

I agree though. Front squats are the shit! Especially if you can't perform back squats haha.

I never really connected with back squats.

Fronts are a superior movement IMO. Unless you need to compete in powerlifting, I don't see the purpose of forcing yourself to do back squats if fronts feel like they work better.

As far as I'm concerned, fronts are safer and more effective for quad development - they're still a heavy compound, they still put pressure on the vertebrae (thus stimulating bone density, important for us old broads) with less chance of injury.

I much prefer fronts, too. Mainly due to my height (6'6"). It's a less awkward movement for me.

My FAVORITE quad-dominant movement of all time is a front split squat, standing with your back foot on a flat bench and your front foot on a similar-height box (or another bench, whatever...I prefer the box though). This allows you to go SUPER low in your squat, and destroy your glutes.

front squats for the win.

Ok since we're on the topic. I'd like to up my front squat production. I find them irritating. i don't think I have enough flexibility in my wrists and shoulders to do them with the elbows in front, ya know. And when I cross arms and put the bar on my shoulders it hurts. Any advice or techniques?

Ok since we're on the topic. I'd like to up my front squat production. I find them irritating. i don't think I have enough flexibility in my wrists and shoulders to do them with the elbows in front, ya know. And when I cross arms and put the bar on my shoulders it hurts. Any advice or techniques?

use lifting straps....that is how i have people do it (unless we are going to be cleaning in the future):

061004_frontsquatstraps.jpg

IML Gear Cream!
Even if you ARE having them do cleans in the future, that's how I got the grip to work for front squats. It actually developed wrist flexibility for me - I no longer need the straps.

i think you read it wrong.....I meant, if we are doing cleans in our program at some point, I always have them front squat without straps to develop wrist flexibility. If we ARE NOT doing cleans in our program, then they use the straps because there is typically a reason that I don't want them to get that much wrist extension anyway.

Nope, I read it right. I started with the straps - my wrist flexibility developed over time while using them.

Really!

oh. gotcha.

ok, now this may be anecdotal, but in my experience with squatting, if I do a back squat with a wide(r) foot stance (roughly a little more than 1 and a half times shoulder width), I find that the stress on my lower back is very limited. Not that this is indicative of anything, but my next day soreness is typically all in my glutes and hamstrings, no low back discomfort at all.

Of course, this probably isn't working my quads too much, but that's why I do trap bar deads, as those definitely do hit the quads.

While we're on the subject, would you all consider trap bar deadlifts to be comparable to front squats for quad stimulation and back safety?

I can do back squats with no problem but front squats give me very painful psoas after a couple weeks or so into a routine.

While we're on the subject, would you all consider trap bar deadlifts to be comparable to front squats for quad stimulation and back safety?

I have never used a trap bar but have seen it used and yes, I have heard it as being as benificial as a front squat.

Also, I've been using a smith machine for front squats with plates on the floor for the most ROM.

Forget about inflating the ego with fronts. At least for me I can not do nearly as much weight with fronts as I can with back squats.

I do both front and back squats. As for the front squats I use the following device to assist and it works well for me. Front Squat Harness Sting Ray shoulder Aid for Squats | APT's Pro Wrist Straps

Thanks for the link! I love the front squat, but for some reason Ive been having a lot of shoulder pain and instability when using my regular cross armed grip. Maybe this will help!

Ive tried the clean grip, but then my wrists are all messed up. Ill also try straps on that.

Back