• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Proper way to breathe

r0dxx

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know this sounds kinda weird, but what is the proper way to breathe when lifting? I realized after hitting the heavy weights for 4-5 years now, I still don't breathe properly. I noticed it after someone spotted me and kept telling me to breathe. I seem to breathe a little, but once I start struggling or on my last few reps, I start to hold my breath.

Does anyone know the proper technique? I read conflicting things online. Some people actually hold there breath during a lift for maximum strength (not healthy)

Recently (the past month or so) I've been real concious of my breathing and have been breathing in threw the mouth on the negative, and blowing out through my mouth on the positive part of every lift. Am I suppose to be going through mouth both ways, or should I use my nose?

Also I've been thinking about it so much lately, that now I think I may actually be hyperventilating, as I stand up and I'm dizzy/lightheaded for 2-3 sec.

Thanks guys.

Tense your abs before every lift, THEN breathe and perform a rep, let out air as you perform the rep. The 'sss' sound boxers make is what you should hear. Its air leaving the mouth. Definately don't hold your breath, ever. And always brace your core. Especially for things like squats and deadlifts

Do not breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose

Tense your abs before every lift, THEN breathe and perform a rep, let out air as you perform the rep. The 'sss' sound boxers make is what you should hear. Its air leaving the mouth. Definately don't hold your breath, ever. And always brace your core. Especially for things like squats and deadlifts

Do not breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose

Through my nose? For the past few months I've been doing mouth.

I generally breath in my nose and out of my mouth while lifting.

Here's a little incentive to breathe properly: People have held their breath while benching. They blacked out and had the bar fall on them.

Here's a little incentive to breathe properly: People have held their breath while benching. They blacked out and had the bar fall on them.

Culminating in who we know as 'danny81'

I generally breath in my nose and out of my mouth while lifting.

Basically I don't know how knowledgeable you are about jogging, but it's the same thing as what vortrit mentioned here, you are supposed to breath the weight in (breath in with your nose) and blow the weight away from you (release the air with your mouth, blowing away). Same thing goes with jogging, you take air in with your nose as it pulls up on your lungs and blow it out, that compresses and pushes down on your lungs. Hope this helps, goodluck.

I think as long as your breathing, though, you are good. I just personally like breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth because of the reasons listed above.

IML Gear Cream!
I have a tendency to hold my breath too, although these days I'm more conscious of breathing out as I near the top of my last few reps (i.e. when I'm struggling) or if I'm doing a particularly heavy lift.

Does that sound OK, or am I supposed to be blowing out throughout the entire lift?

w/thx,
G.

The only time I believe you should hold your breath is at the pause of a rep, for instance bench press, when you have the weight fully extended, and then ofcourse you inhale with the nose on the way back down, then blow the weight away like I said before with your mouth. Pausing and holding your breath like I said above, I think would be alright, but not in the middle of a rep....

inhale through your nose prior to the lift and exhale through ur mouth on completion of the lift. works for me..

I agree with diff exercise diff breathing. Dumbbell pullovers are top rated for breathing, IMHO. The movement expands your chest(breath in through nose) and collapses your chest(out through mouth). If you don't know what I mean you owe it to yourself to do some sets. They are very relaxing because of the natural controlled breathing associated with them. It's hard to get the breathing wrong. If you get it wrong you will hate them. Get it right and you may love them.

I've always sucked the air through my mouth, and blew it out through my mouth :eek:

breathe in during the eccentric and out during the concentric. weither you breathe through your nose or mouth just depends on if you are moving enough air.

Oh also if you have horrible breath you should stick to the nose because there is nothing worse then spotting someone and they blow a big cloud of hot garlic breath right into your nose.

Back