• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

High intensity training log

ihateschoolmt

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've been working out for about 1 week now and it's been years since I've been in the gym. I weighed about 148 pounds when I got back into the gym and I plan on getting to at least 180 in a year. I have muscle memory on my side plus I know what works for me in regards to getting bigger.

I'll post my workouts from the past week and since I've been gone for so long I've gotten very weak... oh well I'll be back to where I was in a few months.

Here are the work outs I have done this past week and I wasn't going 100% intensity on these because I was trying to ease back into this and not get too sore to move.
1-26-11
DB bench 45x10 50x10 50x8
dips bwx10 bwx9
rope pull downs 30x10 30x8
machine incline press 45x10 55x9
ab crunch machine 50x10 50x9

1-29-11
Squats 135x10 185x6 135x10
Leg extensions 130x10 145x9
Calve raises 90x20 110x20
ab crunch machine 40x10 50x10

1-31-11
wide grip pull ups bwx10 bwx3 bwx5
bent over rows 95x10 115x9
V-grip rows 45x10 45x8
DB curls 25x10 30x10

2-1-11
Deadlifts 185x10 205x9 205x6
ab crunch machine 50x10 50x11 50x6

Today I did:
Bench press 115x10 125x7 115x6
Dips bwx8 bwx5 cheated a little
Machine incline press 55x8
skull crushers 40x10 50x8
cable flies 50x7

Got on a few machine to try and remember which ones I liked. Some guy I asked to spot me told me not to go to failure because it's not good for you... fuck that, got to increase the strain on your muscle every week somehow right?

My numbers are low ATM but this workout was so intense I couldn't do one push up after it... was just curious to see if I could or not because I was so tired.

Thats quite alot of weight you want to pack on in a year bud, does that mean your going to be assisted and eating like a horse?

Thats quite alot of weight you want to pack on in a year bud, does that mean your going to be assisted and eating like a horse?
Assisted as in steroids? No, eating a lot yes. I went from 125 to 163 in a year before when I was younger and I already gained about 8 pounds this month. I did some body weight stuff for 3 weeks and started eating more then the past week I've been back in the gym.

Squats 185x7
front squats 135x10 135x9
hack squat 90x10 145x7
seated calve raises 90x20 90x20 90x20

Front squats killed me I felt like I was going to throw up.

Forgot to say I'll be eating around 4 meals a day with a snack or two and trying to hit around 4,000 calories.

Thanks Phineas, I've always had trouble progressing with low rep work myself.

Today's workout:

Pull ups bwX14 bwX7 bwX3 (cheated on those three) This is a 40% increase from last week I'm very happy about this.

DB rows 50x9 45x7

Pull downs 50x9

didn't do any bicep isolation work this week cause my arms felt more tired than my back. I was very pleased with my pull ups this week and I hope I can do 4 more next time too. Muscle memory seems to be kicking in.

Dead lifts 205x8 215x5
front squats 135x10 could have done a few more but I was worried I would throw up and I need those calories.
Ab crunch machine 50x9 50x11

I always end my work outs by hitting the punching bag for a little bit if I haven't mentioned that. Tried to widen my stance a bit on the deads today but I feel like it was better narrow.

So when you say high intensity training, do you mean HIT or Heavy Duty style programs?

I notice you're only doing one or two sets, and was wondering if you're following those sorts of training protocols.

IML Gear Cream!
So when you say high intensity training, do you mean HIT or Heavy Duty style programs?

I notice you're only doing one or two sets, and was wondering if you're following those sorts of training protocols.
I was doing HIT for the majority of my gains before I quit going to the gym a few years ago, and I'm trying to do what I was doing back then, but the very low volume is more because I'm still only like 10 days back into working out and the big four lifts are fucking me up. I don't think I could have done a third set of deads with more than 135 pounds and I figure if I'm that tired work out over....

But to answer your question; by high intensity I just meant I am going til I fail to lift the weight with good form. I usually feel like throwing up after most of my work outs and generally cannot get another working set with anywhere near the same weight and reps.

I was doing HIT for the majority of my gains before I quit going to the gym a few years ago, and I'm trying to do what I was doing back then, but the very low volume is more because I'm still only like 10 days back into working out and the big four lifts are fucking me up. I don't think I could have done a third set of deads with more than 135 pounds and I figure if I'm that tired work out over....

But to answer your question; by high intensity I just meant I am going til I fail to lift the weight with good form. I usually feel like throwing up after most of my work outs and generally cannot get another working set with anywhere near the same weight and reps.

Thats cool, HIT is just about the only "bodybuilding" orientated routine i've ever seen any merit in, haha. Never really enjoyed the traditional volume/isolation approach but HIT was fantastic every time i've done it.

Good you're keeping the volume down and training with intensity though. Most people would do it the other way around in your situation - more sets, less weight. Afraid to work hard, i guess.

Thats cool, HIT is just about the only "bodybuilding" orientated routine I've ever seen any merit in, haha. Never really enjoyed the traditional volume/isolation approach but HIT was fantastic every time I've done it.

Good you're keeping the volume down and training with intensity though. Most people would do it the other way around in your situation - more sets, less weight. Afraid to work hard, i guess.
I know some people feel they just "feel" like they're not working hard enough if they leave after 20 minutes (cause they ain't trying hard enough) but I know, at least for me, that HIT yeilds some serious results in a short time. I mean, fuck, I weighed in at 158 today, which is a 10 pound increase in 2 weeks, still not an ounce of fat on me either. At this rate I'll be writing a book of my success and retiring at 21.:coffee:

DB bench using a stabilizer ball 50x10 50x9 that shit was kinda hard haha
DB incline bench 45x10 45x7
dips 9, 9
cable flies 35x13

I feel like I could have done more like 15 dips if I hadn't done incline first. Doesn't look like I progressed this workout, but I feel like getting the same reps and weight on that stabilizer ball is harder than a regular flat bench so I view it as progress getting the same numbers as two weeks ago on reg bench.

Squats (all my squats are always ATF by the way.) 185x10 195x5
Almost just went home after this haha I felt like I was going to throw up and I still kind of do.

Leg press 2 plates each side x9 x9

Standing calve raises 120x15 140x15 160x15

Did some stretching but no cardio cause I didn't want to throw up

Made great progress on squats this week, got a whole 3 extra reps from last time. My secret is Lamb of God at least three times a day, nothing makes you stronger faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9dufxcMU" title="Click to view this video on YouTube" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9dufxcMU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9dufxcMU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385">

Truly awesome numbers for your weight! You are going to be lifting some astounding numbers once you hit your bw goal.

I too started hitting the gym when I was much lighter (around 165lbs at 6"3), and went up about 20lbs in a year. I hope you reach your goal, but 40lbs in a year is a lot! You certainly know your body better than us, but have you considered upping your meal frequency to like 6 meals a day?

Truly awesome numbers for your weight! You are going to be lifting some astounding numbers once you hit your bw goal.

I too started hitting the gym when I was much lighter (around 165lbs at 6"3), and went up about 20lbs in a year. I hope you reach your goal, but 40lbs in a year is a lot! You certainly know your body better than us, but have you considered upping your meal frequency to like 6 meals a day?

I eat 4 meals and have a few snacks. I get enough calories trust me. My snacks are like 20oz of milk and a handful of peanuts. Its like 700 calories haha. I gained quite a bit of weight before (and lost it) so I figure I can do it again. If I don't it's all good I just need a goal to work towards. But, I'm about 25% of the way to my goal two weeks into this so we will see what happens. Thanks for the support.

Pull ups bwx14 bwx8 (did three with 10 pounds added and it was too much so I dropped it and did 5 more.)
underhand bent over rows 115x10 125x9 125x11
lat pull downs 120x9 125x7
DB shoulder press 35x8 35x7

OK, a few things to note here. I gained a few pounds since last time I did pull ups so 14 again was progress. Next week im going to try weighted pull ups the first set. I wasn't thinking about it at the time but I did presses on a pull day so I need to move those to the proper day next week. I watched this video, that I can't find to post here, but it talked about using a supinated grip to do rows and pull downs, so I tried it and like it better. I feel like it gives my back and biceps a better workout.

IML Gear Cream!
Dead lifts 205x10 (too light) 225x10 235x3
weighted decline sit ups 45x15 45x10 45x8
Good morning 95x11 115x8 went light cause I haven't done these in a long time.

I almost got 4 on that last set but I felt my form was slipping so I just dropped it. Deads aren't the kinda thing I want to sacrifice form on.Awesome workout very pleased with my deads this week it was a huge increase from last week, thanks to lamb of god.
YouTube Video

Your numbers are definitely very good considering you haven't been in the gym for years. Keep it up and you'll get strong pretty quick.

Thanks I was looking at some old journals last night and I am still way off from were I was at 16 years old but I'm progressing very quickly I think.

Bench press 125x9 135x7 two different spotters both fucking grabbed the weight before I was failing, if the weight is still going up why are you gonna grab it come on.

weighted dips bw+10x11 bw+10x8 dropped weight did 3 more.

incline DB bench 45'sx7

Some dumb bitch was on the assisted dip/pull up machine and using like 5 pounds more than there body weight as resistance and pushing down on the pull up bar so I punched her in the face and did my dips.

Awesome music selection. :thumbs:

Nice progress as well. Your moving up quick.

Did you pick that name based on their song?

Looks like pretty good progress over the past few weeks! Great Job!

I am just getting back into training again too. I actually started with all body weight exercises for a few weeks before I started lifting (but part of that was that I was recovering from a broken elbow).

Bench press 125x9 135x7 two different spotters both fucking grabbed the weight before I was failing, if the weight is still going up why are you gonna grab it come on.

weighted dips bw+10x11 bw+10x8 dropped weight did 3 more.

incline DB bench 45'sx7

Some dumb bitch was on the assisted dip/pull up machine and using like 5 pounds more than there body weight as resistance and pushing down on the pull up bar so I punched her in the face and did my dips.

I fucking HATE it when you get unfamiliar spotters on bench who seem to think spotting means doing the lift for you -- especially when you're nowhere near failure.

I'm doing 5/3/1 right now and unfortunately I have to ask randoms for spots when my friends aren't around. It's hard to explain to broskies who don't know any better that "okay so I have to hit a minimum of this many reps but that should be no problem I'm going for 8 but I'm not supposed to hit failure....I don't want ANY help..so if you can just stand there and if I happen to fail I'll lower the bar to my chest and then just help me rack it...it doesn't hurt when the bar is on my chest or rib cage for several seconds..the only reason I need you is to physically rack it because clearly my set is over...thanks".

Of course, I'm on rep two, with no signs of even slowing down and he's grabbing the bar yelling "push it! push it!". I've literally yelled at guys in the middle of submaximal reps saying "DON'T HELP ME".

My last bench session I was trying to add 1 rep to my 5RM. I hit 5 reps and went for the 6th but stalled half way and lowered it (I know when I'm done). I asked the guy to help me rack it but instead he just takes some of the load and insists I push it. I'm yelled "fuck no man I'm done just rack it". Jesus christ I already hit failure by mistake I'm not trying to rape my muscles. The set was over and I'm not going to count a rep that I'm doing only 85% of the work on, so why are you insisting I waste my energy? To look badass? Fucking moron.

I like your rants. Nice bench numbers. I appreciate your no-frills strength-oriented approach. It's refreshing.

Keep up the hard training.

Thanks for the support phineas.

Weighed in at 160 today this is about the heaviest I've ever been. I was about 160 when I stopped working out years ago but I was about 2 inches shorter so I'm not quite back to were I was. Going to post progress pics when I get to about 170 probably. Maybe some dead lift videos if I can get someone to take them.

Holy crap. Dude, you put on 12lbs in 2 weeks.

My favorite is when these guys ask me for a spot, and when they clearly aren't working that hard, I'll just put my hands about 4 inches under the bar and pretend I'm helping them. For some reason they always get another 3 or 4 more reps then they expected. Amazing the how much lifting is psychological with alot of people.

I haven't had a spotter in almost 8 yrs, I go to early in the morning and most of the time as the only one in the weight room. Sometimes I think it holds me back but at the same time reading your issues with them, makes me glad.

OH yeah, I did get my name from the Lamb of God song. :thumb:

Back