• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

BlackBerry outage spreads to North America

Big Pimpin

Sancho
Registered
Reaction score
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more
IML Gear Cream!
I'm on ATT and haven't been able to BBM a buddy on Verizon since 5am this morning and now I can't BBM anyone on ATT. My brother, who has Blackberry servers, just got his first complaint from a co-worker. I haven't been able to send a picture email all day either. :paddle:

Time for a Droid. :coffee:

(CNN) -- Millions of BlackBerry users remained without service on Wednesday as a three-day outage spread to North America.

"BlackBerry subscribers in the Americas may be experiencing intermittent service delays this morning," Research in Motion, maker of BlackBerry smartphones, said in a statement. "We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and we apologize to our customers for any inconvenience. We will provide a further update as soon as more information is available."

The service outage started on Monday with customers in the Middle East, Europe and Africa, before spreading to South America on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning it appeared to hit the United States and Canada. The outage appears primarily to affect text messaging and Internet access from the mobile phones, not necessarily their ability to place calls.

"BlackBerry users in Canada have been cut off from their smartphone's messaging, e-mail and Internet services," the Canadian news site CP24 wrote. Those sentiments were echoed by the CBC, the Canadian broadcaster, which put out a breaking news tweet saying e-mail and texting services had been interrupted in some parts of Canada.

NPR reported some of its staffers in North America had experienced outages. CNN employees in the United States also were having trouble accessing some data connections and text messages. Twitter users complained of similar issues.
111012015210-nr-kosik-blackberry-outage-00004428-story-body.jpg
BlackBerry outage spreads
In a statement released Tuesday, the company said the "messaging and browsing delays being experienced by BlackBerry users in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile and Argentina were caused by a core switch failure within RIM's infrastructure. Although the system is designed to failover to a back-up switch, the failover did not function as previously tested."

The company said it was working to fix the problem.

"A large backlog of data was generated and we are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible," the Tuesday statement said. "We apologize for any inconvenience and we will continue to keep you informed."

There are about 70 million BlackBerry users worldwide. RIM has not commented on how many users are affected, but reports suggest the number of users without some sort of service has climbed into the millions.
BlackBerry users, many of whom use the devices primarily for business purposes, were less than pleased with the outage.

"#DearBlackberry I can't work, I can't study, please, please come back from that coma! Don´t go into the light!! It´s a baaad light!!" a Twitter user named @marianaae wrote.

"What did the one #Blackberry user say to the other?..........nothing....," said another Twitter user, @giselewaymes.

"And iPhone users everywhere smile smugly and search for the 'I Told You So' app," wrote another.

This is not the first time RIM has faced a major service outage.

"I have been an analyst for 25 years and have watched RIM wrestle with this same outage problem time after time. Every few years we get pinched by yet another major problem," tech analyst Jeff Kagan said in a statement.

Is the outage affecting you?

This outage, however, comes at a particularly bad time for RIM, since it faces increasing competition in the smarpthone market, Kagan says. Apple's iPhone and phones on the Google Android operating system have been gaining ground, and the new iPhone 4S goes on sale Friday.

The tech blog Electronista wrote:

"RIM's outage is now one of its largest in recent memory and is now edging even closer to the iPhone 4S launch than before, leading to a possible temptation for those already looking to upgrade their phones. Commentary on Twitter has shifted gradually from frustrated patience to open anger and has led some to remark that they're now likely to switch to the iPhone, Android, or another platform."

oh no , its the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!

it's not the end of the world just f-ing annoying. paying for shit that doesn't work right sucks. do they ever try to reimburse the customer? hell no? but if you are ever late paying on your bill....
ATT service is kind of going down hill if you ask me. where i used to get great reception i don't get any or very little now. it pisses me off being right outside of city limits not even during prime time and calls get dropped.
anyway, just had to give my 5 cents:pissed:

It's not BB's fault, it is AT&T. I told those sons of bitches to go fuck themselves 4 years ago and went with Verizon. I have never had a problem since. It was a big fucking deal for me to be flying across the country and miss important messages from clients and managers regarding work matters. Fucking phone would go two days without updating my messages, and then like a garden hose that you unkink, all of the messages would just come though all at once.

Last edited:
Fucking phone would go two days without updating my messages, and then link a garden hose that you unkink, all of the messages would just come though all at once.

As someone that's supported BBs, I can say that's also a function of the BES and the phones.

I make fun of iPhone users*, but I have to admit that I didn't get calls like "My phone has stopped getting emails" from them.

* What's the hardest part about owning an iPhone? Coming out to your parents.

And that's because the new iOS5 was released today, so Apple's servers are getting hammered harder than a college virgin.

I know a few people who use BlackBerry phones and they are not to happy.

Somewhere Mr. Jobs is laughing hysterically....

As someone that's supported BBs, I can say that's also a function of the BES and the phones.

I make fun of iPhone users*, but I have to admit that I didn't get calls like "My phone has stopped getting emails" from them.

That may be true, but my BB service improved 10 fold when I switched to Verizon. My signal is always better, and my throughput is better. I have fewer missed messages.

I no longer travel for work, so I am tempted to toss my BB for a regular phone now. It would save me $60 a month.

That may be true, but my BB service improved 10 fold when I switched to Verizon. My signal is always better, and my throughput is better. I have fewer missed messages.

I no longer travel for work, so I am tempted to toss my BB for a regular phone now. It would save me $60 a month.

As my Jew brother pointed out, you can get BB pay as you go $45/mo burner phones now.

Could also be your location bro. I frequent a few cellphone forums and this is always discussed. It's a hit or miss for everyone when it comes to adequate service and reception.

As my Jew brother pointed out, you can get BB pay as you go $45/mo burner phones now.

Can't do that. I have 4 phones on my account. I am basically paying for every person in my immediate family to have a cell phone. It's the gift that keeps on costing me $250 a month.

Can't do that. I have 4 phones on my account. I am basically paying for every person in my immediate family to have a cell phone. It's the gift that keeps on costing me $250 a month.
them jews need to pay for there own phones:coffee:

How can the system hinge on one single switch? For the whole fucking world at that?

we are all so fuckin spoiled I want to puke. "I cant instantly message my contact from my handheld portable device" boo fuckin hoo. we live in a truly exceptional time in the history of the human race and everyone of us has literally no conception of the burdens that we would of faces if we would of been born even 100 years ago.

Never had a problem with AT&T, but I live in town where reception is full bars everywhere.

we are all so fuckin spoiled I want to puke. "I cant instantly message my contact from my handheld portable device" boo fuckin hoo. we live in a truly exceptional time in the history of the human race and everyone of us has literally no conception of the burdens that we would of faces if we would of been born even 100 years ago.

You know I was thinking the same thing, but the working class who take advantage of this service should not be included in the spoiled circle. All you American teenagers can cry me a river, suck a dick, and get over it. I don't give a shit if you can't access facebook on your bb.

You know I was thinking the same thing, but the working class who take advantage of this service should not be included in the spoiled circle. All you American teenagers can cry me a river, suck a dick, and get over it. I don't give a shit if you can't access facebook on your bb.

I conduct business off my BB's and I don't have a Facebook account because Facebook is for HS kids and housewives. :coffee:

Back