• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Hypertrophy Cluster Sets

Kenny Croxdale

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Advanced Training Techniques for Destroying Plateaus
http://www.ironmagazine.com/2014/advanced-training-techniques-for-destroying-plateaus/

Hypertrophy Cluster Sets

Cluster Sets are often referred to as "Rest-Pause" Training. That meaning when your muscles tire in an exercise, taking a 10 - 30 second rest between reps revitalized them, allowing you to preform more reps in a set.

Vince DelMonte addressed this in the above article posted on this site.

While it has it's place in training, some of the latest research does not indicate this to be as effective for Hypertrophy nor Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) Training.

The Size Principle

The Muscle Firing sequence in a movement is: Type I (Slow Twitch) > Type IIa (Fast Twitch) > Type IIb ("Super" Fast Twitch).

This means Slow Twitch are brought into action first. Then Type IIa Fast Twitch are. Type IIb "Super" Fast Twitch are the last called into action.

Muscle Fiber Fatigue

In an exercise, when the Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber become exhausted, the Type IIa Fast Twitch are called into play.

When the Type IIa Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are exhausted, the "Super" Fast Twitch Type IIb are called into action.

Thus, to fully engage and work the "Super" Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber at some point in a training cycle you MUST go to failure.

Cluster Sets Reset The Muscle Firing Sequence

The problem with Cluster Set Training for Hypertrophy or Limit Strength Training is that ANY rest taken BETWEEN repetitions...

RESETS The Muscle Firing Sequence

That means ANY pause between repetitions takes you back to using the Type I Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Thus, you do not fully tap into the Type IIb/"Super" Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Getting Out of Line

Think of it like standing in line at the grocery store. You suddenly remember that you did not get something.

You get out of line and go get it.

You then have to get at the back of the line and start all over.

Type IIb "Super" Fast Muscle Fiber Overload

The key to increasing muscle size (Hypertrophy) and you maximum strength (Limit Strength) is to overload Type IIb/"Super" Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

To fully overload (work the crap out of them) the Type IIb/"Super" Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber, at some point in your training cycle, you need to push the exercise to failure or damn near close to it.

Training To Failure

Training to failure in your training should be limited for those who are intermediate and advance.

That means, if you cycle is 4 weeks, max out on you exercises on the 4th week.

About anything and everything works for a novice.

However, as a novice advances, they often learn the hard way, that training to failure lead to Overreaching and then Overtraining.

Kenny Croxdale

"While it has it's place in training, some of the latest research does not indicate this to be as effective for Hypertrophy nor Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) Training."

Theres new research all the time and all of it supposedly has something newer and better. Idk what the latest study indicates but drop sets work!! Ive done all kinds, this is my favorite and prob most productive method of training. Ive done more of DC approach, a certain weight for 6-8 reps, <15sec rest, same weight for 3-4reps, 15sec rest, same weight third time for 2-3 at most. Sometimes instead of rep drop set (DC), i would triple drop the weight and keep reps high- 100lbs x8-12, drop 70lb x8-12 drop 50x8-12. i would do anywhere between 2-6 drop sets as part of 1 major set. I really hard "drop set" is when u decrease the mechanical advantage of an extersice- db seated press has the least amount of mechanical advantage when it comes to pressing, thats why u bench most on decline. try a drop set going from seated bench position to flat even decline bench, every set drop the pin back. its hard, prison workout haha

Great post. I followed Mike Mentzer (rip) when I was younger, and his technique changed my training for life. Not for the weak of mind (or body).

Theres new research all the time and all of it supposedly has something newer and better.

Traditional Bodybuilding

In this case, Wilson's research supports Tradition Bodybuilding method that have been used for decades.

Thus, it is more like "Old and effective".

Idk what the latest study indicates but drop sets work!! Ive done all kinds, this is my favorite and prob most productive method of training.

Take Home Message

What the study basically indicates is that muscle growth is stimulated by maximizing constant tension on the muscle, "Metabolic Stress".

The Pump

The Pump in bodybuilding sets creates "Metabolic Stress" which produces muscle growth.

i would triple drop the weight and keep reps high- 100lbs x8-12, drop 70lb x8-12 drop 50x8-12. i would do anywhere between 2-6 drop sets as part of 1 major set. I really hard "drop set" is when u decrease the mechanical advantage of an extersice- db seated press has the least amount of mechanical advantage when it comes to pressing, thats why u bench most on decline. try a drop set going from seated bench position to flat even decline bench, every set drop the pin back. its hard, prison workout

Drop Sets

Drop set maintain the pump.

Again, the key is to complete the set without any rest between reps.

By doing so, you engage more of the Type II Muscle Fiber.

Kenny Croxdale

Drop Sets

Drop set maintain the pump.

Again, the key is to complete the set without any rest between reps.

By doing so, you engage more of the Type II Muscle Fiber.

Kenny Croxdale

I use drop sets almost every work out. Also I like half doubles for the last set of an exercise. It will scorch you!

I use drop sets almost every work out. Also I like half doubles for the last set of an exercise. It will scorch you!

half doubles = partial movements for double the reps?

No, it is a little more awkward than that. Here is an example on bench press. 245 for 6 reps, strip weight down to 125 for 12 plus reps. It fucking kills you. Free weights are obviously more difficult task with moving the weights around and all, but I look at as part of the workout.
Pulldowns are great to do this with. The drop down portion of the half double I try and take it slow depending on my energy level and it really burns. These types of sets get deep down the muscle.

as explained above ...i find higher reps more effective to hit all kinds of muscle fibers, rep range 8-15. Drop sets work great for me. However Cluster sets and supersets can be also effective, when you restart after a short pause you start the muscle firing sequence all over again but it will be quicker, meaning you will start using type II fibers shortly after very few reps. Experienced lifters also take less time to engage all fibers.
Finally training to failure at every workout is not recommended it will backfire one you if you are a natural bodybuilder. i work hard and to failure every 2 or 3 workouts and it seems to work fine for me.

Back