• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

My Quest for 405

Stewart14

Weapon of Choice
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK, I want to bench 405 pounds. I want to deadlift over 500 and I want to squat at least what I can bench, lol, but 405 would be fine for now :D

This is my attempt at getting there.

I will be using a westside template, a more basic version of it, to see if that helps. There are so many possibilities to use with westside, that I think some times people get caught up in too many things and stray away from the basics of the template.

My schedule will be flexible based on each week, but its your standard ME bench, ME squat/DL, and DE bench and DE squat DL. Probably will not be using box squats on dynamic day, opting for regular full squats. I want to squat a lot, but also FULL squat a lot, not the wide stance parallel powerlifting stuff. I don't plan on competing, so it won't matter much to me.

July 20

ME Bench

Incline bench press
135 x 8
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 1
325 x 1
295 x 1
295 x 1
295 x 1
*The plan for my max effort lifts is to work up to a max set, hopefully a new 1RM each week, and then do 3 lifts at 90% of the max for that day to complete the max effort work

JM Press
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
*1st time doing these, I think I did them right, I felt all the stress in my elbows and lower tris, I have read if you feel it there, you are doing them good. Today was high volume, low intensity tricep day. Will do close grip benches on DE day with a lot more weight and a lot less reps.

Chest Supported Rows
160 x 8
160 x 8
160 x 8
160 x 7
160 x 6

DB front raises
30 x 10

DB side laterals
30 x 10

DB rear laterals
30 x 10

Last edited:
Good start. Any idea what your current 1 RMs are?

Good start. Any idea what your current 1 RMs are?

No idea. The last "big 3" lift that I did was the bench press and it had to be a good 2 months ago, so I don't know if that 365 still stands.

the only other maxing I have done lately was the rack pulls from the other day.

Just guessing, I would use these numbers to figure out the dynamic work and stuff:
bench--350
squat--now this is tricky since I never attempted a max full squat before, so based on my last session of 8x3 at 255, I would guesstimate my max here at between 275-295.
deadlift--based on my last 6x3 session at 385, I would put my max at somewhere between 430-450.

so this is good....it gives me a ways to go to get to my goals, I really want that 405 bench badly though.:mooh:

so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me:grumble: that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years ago.

good luck!!!!!

so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me:grumble: that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years ago.

good luck!!!!!

hehe, I take it I know who you are based on your name :D . What's wrong with rack pulls?? They are fun :thumb: and they kick the crap out of your back, but they are totally less stressful than regular deads.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I will need them. :eek:

Incline bench press
135 x 8
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 1
325 x 1
295 x 1
295 x 1
295 x 1
Just when I get feelin' good about my incline press, I see this crap :mad: .

:D Good job Stewart. I think I am more impressed with incline pressing strength then with flat bench. Because of the odd angle you are forced to control the weight.

You WILL hit that 405 my friend :thumb: .

Excellent w/o Brother 20, Best Wishes on your new routine, you'll DEFINATLY get that my Friend!!!

IML Gear Cream!
Just when I get feelin' good about my incline press, I see this crap :mad: .

:D Good job Stewart. I think I am more impressed with incline pressing strength then with flat bench. Because of the odd angle you are forced to control the weight.

You WILL hit that 405 my friend :thumb: .

thanks JD.....nothing to be ashamed about with your pressing, plus, unless everyone did their inclines on the same bench, you never really know how good or bad you are doing compared to others cause the angles on all these benches are different, and obviously, the smaller the angle, the "easier" it becomes. My bench at home is set to about 30 degrees, it is definitely not as steep as the standard ones in most gyms, so I imagine you are using at least a 45 degree bench, so give yourself some credit, that makes things harder, I don't think I could've hit 325 on a 45 degree bench.

so u r the one that told katt about the rack pulls. thanks, r u trying to kill me:grumble: that is some pretty good weights that u r pushing, i dont know if i ever want to lift that heavy. maybe 10 years from now.

I fixed it for you. :D

I don't like the fixed incline bench in my gym. I use an adjustable incline bench at about 25-30 degrees and do them in the benching cage.

I don't like the fixed incline bench in my gym. I use an adjustable incline bench at about 25-30 degrees and do them in the benching cage.

that's the only way to go if you have access to that stuff. the fixed incline, you might as well just go for a military press.

I just looked at your gallery. Damn! You're freakin' built!

Damn your last max numbers are close to mine.

Why the fuck does someone always start a max strength journal when I start a cutting journal. :cry:

I always wanted 405. I figured if I lifted that much weight naturally, I am about above the "above average" gym rat.

Think about it...anyone whos lifted for years and has put on size is around the 275-315lb bench mark. So anyone that does 405 has gone even farther and thus makes EVERYONE envious.

When I saw my friend Jason bench 405, I was thinkg :pissed: guess I have to join the marines to get that shit.... But he was juicing. :eek:

Damn your last max numbers are close to mine.

Why the fuck does someone always start a max strength journal when I start a cutting journal. :cry:

I always wanted 405. I figured if I lifted that much weight naturally, I am about above the "above average" gym rat.

Think about it...anyone whos lifted for years and has put on size is around the 275-315lb bench mark. So anyone that does 405 has gone even farther and thus makes EVERYONE envious.

When I saw my friend Jason bench 405, I was thinkg :pissed: guess I have to join the marines to get that shit.... But he was juicing. :eek:

benching 4 plates has to be one of the more impressive things one can do in the gym. I know I can't squat for shit, but seriously, are you that impressed by a 450 squat or a 500 deadlift? Obviously, those are nice numbers and unattainable by the majority of gym goers, but out of all the people who lift, maybe 10% can squat and deadlift those numbers, but maybe only 5% or less can bench 405, and those are all the powerlifters and people on juice.

Besides the fact that it would be quite amazing for me to do it, condsidering when I was 22 years old I weighed about 145 soaking wet, and the thought of benching even 2 plates was a challenge at the time.

The reason why I haven't done it yet, is probably because it took so damn long to just get to where I am now, and then I say to myself, well, I can bench press 365 pounds, maybe now it's time to go down to 315 and do a lot of reps with it, which is pretty cool. so then I train for reps at a lower weight and lose my max ability, and it's just a cycle that keeps going. To get to 405, I really need to just break the cycle---easier said then done...

I imagine you are using at least a 45 degree bench, so give yourself some credit, that makes things harder, I don't think I could've hit 325 on a 45 degree bench.
I know the incline benches you guys are talking about. Those would tear up my shoulders. Nope, I'm lucky. The one I use is a fixed 30 degrees.

View attachment 24120

but seriously, are you that impressed by a 450 squat or a 500 deadlift? Obviously, those are nice numbers and unattainable by the majority of gym goers, but out of all the people who lift, maybe 10% can squat and deadlift those numbers, but maybe only 5% or less can bench 405, and those are all the powerlifters and people on juice....

If done by a 300 lb person, then no, it wouldn't be all that impressive. But if someone weighing 225 nailed a 450 squat, and I mean a full squat, not one of those quarters that 90% of the gym crowd does, then yeah, I'd be impressed. Or maybe it's just because at the time that I train, there's no one touching those numbers. Not even close.

If done by a 300 lb person, then no, it wouldn't be all that impressive. But if someone weighing 225 nailed a 450 squat, and I mean a full squat, not one of those quarters that 90% of the gym crowd does, then yeah, I'd be impressed. Or maybe it's just because at the time that I train, there's no one touching those numbers. Not even close.

I have never seen anyone in the gym do anything remotely close to a 4 plate squat or a 500lb deadlift. I have seen a guy bench 4 plates and a quarter before, but I always saw the guy bench, I never saw him do any lower body work.

I guess I should reconsider my statement. When you are on weight training boards and surrounded by people who train, a double bodyweight squat doesn't seem as impressive because you come across a lot of people who can do it. But I guess if we have never seen it in person, maybe it is relatively rare and should be considered something impressive.

IML Gear Cream!

Check M.J.H.s current journal. Perfect form too!

I guess I should reconsider my statement. When you are on weight training boards and surrounded by people who train, a double bodyweight squat doesn't seem as impressive because you come across a lot of people who can do it. But I guess if we have never seen it in person, maybe it is relatively rare and should be considered something impressive.

Even on here you hardly see those numbers. camarosoup or whatever his name is did some outlandish weight. Other than that, most of the stronger people around here are still around the 350 range that are legitamite. Even still, here there are so many people from around the world, so it wouldnt surprise me of how many big lifters there are, but in a quiet town? You might be the strongest one.

Check M.J.H.s current journal. Perfect form too!

Even on here you hardly see those numbers. camarosoup or whatever his name is did some outlandish weight. Other than that, most of the stronger people around here are still around the 350 range that are legitamite. Even still, here there are so many people from around the world, so it wouldnt surprise me of how many big lifters there are, but in a quiet town? You might be the strongest one.

thats the ticket...I am gonna move to a small town so I can call myself the "town's strongest man" !! :thumb:

Holy shit, I just noticed your bench numbers on your entry is for a incline bench and not a flat bench. Thats pretty impressive, I dont think Ive ever touched anything over 300lbs on a incline.

I think I did a 315 incline press one time last year during a westside stint, but 325 is a personal best.

July 21

Extra workout

Close grip bench press
225 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10
245 x 10
* I wasn't satisfied with my tricep volume from yesterday, so I added some tricep work. Next week, I am gonna put the close grips on my ME workout day. Will do 3 or 4 sets of close grip bench and 3 sets of JM presses, both for 10 reps (low intensity)

I remember I was doing 245lb close grip bench presses and it was the first time I was told by my friend Eric (hardgainer) that I had to be juicing. Nothing could convince him otherwise. Now I have a hard time with 185lbs... :wtf:

I think I did a 315 incline press one time last year during a westside stint, but 325 is a personal best.

Yeah thats pretty good. Chewie would be proud.

July 22

DE Squat/DL

DE Squats (done as full squats)
155 x 2 (10 sets)
*Estimated my 1RM FULL squat as 315.

SLDL
275 x 6
275 x 6
275 x 6

Pullups with V-Handle
BW x 10
BW x 10