• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Help a type I (insulin-dependent) diabetic get jacked

clg82

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey everyone, I'm new to the weightlifting and workin out scene. The reason I have started working out and weightlifting is to gain weight, and get cut to stay healthy and look good. I have weighed 150 since about 14 and have been unable to gain weight or lose it all my life. I am going to start drinking the supplement Muscle Milk, while also working out every other day. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated to help me reach my goal of gaining some weight and getting cut....one question when should i start drinking the MM? on my days off from working out for breakfast? and also after my workouts? Thanks again for any help~clg82

the timing isnt that important as long as you are eating enough in general but if i had to pick a time, right after workout. just eat ! dont try and get cut while gaining muscle its a fuckin headache. im sure Gaz and co. are gonna ask you about stats and specific goals so imma give you a head start on them...GO!

the timing isnt that important as long as you are eating enough in general but if i had to pick a time, right after workout. just eat ! dont try and get cut while gaining muscle its a fuckin headache. im sure Gaz and co. are gonna ask you about stats and specific goals so imma give you a head start on them...GO!

Thanks for the response Giss, I'm not sure what you mean by stats so I will let them ask, as far as goals, I have weighed the same since 8th grade 155 lbs, and am 5'11" skin and bones, so I would like to put on some extra weight while also gaining muscle. I worked out years ago right before I got out of high school but was not taking any supplements and could not put on a pound of extra weight....I'll concentrate on gaining muscle first before getting cut, although i'm not sure i know the difference between the two...sorry i'm a newb lol Also how many small meals a day do you suggest the reason i ask is because i am diabetic and eating 4-5 times a day is not ideal for me as I will be going thru some pretty significant changes with my insulin and bloodsugars and such...

by stats i mean more detailed information about your program, diet and such.
if you didnt gain weight its because you didnt eat enough.i'm not suggesting SMALL meals at all but the " eating alot while being diabetic" is really a question you should ask your doctor.
if you are gaining muscle/weight it is concidered bulking, cutting would be lowering your body fat %. i think i get what you are meaning by "cut" though, you just want to see more muscle right?
nothing wrong with being a newb. ive been lyfting/working out/playing sports for some yrs now but concider myself a total newbie.

by stats i mean more detailed information about your program, diet and such.
if you didnt gain weight its because you didnt eat enough.i'm not suggesting SMALL meals at all but the " eating alot while being diabetic" is really a question you should ask your doctor.
if you are gaining muscle/weight it is concidered bulking, cutting would be lowering your body fat %. i think i get what you are meaning by "cut" though, you just want to see more muscle right?
nothing wrong with being a newb. ive been lyfting/working out/playing sports for some yrs now but concider myself a total newbie.

Yeh looking good at the beach with some muscles is what I mean I'm tire of look scrawny......I really don't have much of a diet just the usual foods nothing out of the ordinary, a lot of meats, and chicken etc.....anything that you can suggest I eat throughout the day to help me bulk up....i have been reading around that muscle milk will help me to gain some weight....:thinking:

If you've been the same weight for a very long time, you're only eating to maintain what you have. Start by adding 10-20% more calories of what you currently take in in the form of fat and protein. You'll need to do some calorie tracking for 3-5 days and a good way to do that is with either All Things Food and Diet - FatSecret or FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal Then once you have all of that in, come back here explain how many grams of protein, fat and carbs you take in on an average day.
After that, you'll need to train for your goals. If your goal is to gain mass, then train for that. If you want to cut, train for that. Getting bigger and staying lean together is a pain in the ass and usually, I'll tell people to treat each goals exclusively. It's much easier.

So, do the homework and answer my questions and I will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you very much Juggernaut....I will do exactly as you say and report back with my calorie/carb intake.....is drinking muscle milk a good start to get my calorie count up....Being diabetic (i don't mean to beat a dead horse here) I am trying to stay away from carbs as much as possible....thanks again for everyone's help and please keep the input coming~clg82

One other thing....does everyone suggest here that I should have a muscle milk shake even on the days that I don't train? To keep the calorie intake coming? And if so what time of day, should I supliment a meal with it as well....thanks for any help~clg82

I'm not all too crazy about Muscle Milk lots of unexplained sugars in the drink.

Just a thought here: perhaps you should try a cyclic ketogenic diet for both cutting and bulking. You'll need to make some alterations in the carbup phase but according to American Diabetes Foundation:

The ADA revised their Nutrition Recommendations and Interventions for Diabetes in 2008 to acknowledge low-carbohydrate diets as a legitimate weight-loss plan.[93][94] The recommendations fall short of endorsing low-carbohydrate diets as a long-term health plan nor do they given any preference to these diets. Nevertheless, this is perhaps the first statement of support—albeit for the short-term—by one of the foremost medical organizations.[95][96] In its 2009 publication of Clinical Practice Recommendations, The ADA again reaffirmed its acceptance of carbohydrate-controlled diets as an effective treatment for short-term (up to one year) weight loss among obese people suffering from type two diabetes.[97]

The only drawback is that you will need to be as unprocessed as possible with your carb choices and that might entail some research. I'd be happy to help if you choose this type of diet plan.

Atkins has touted many benefits for diabetics and the ckd. Check into it and let me know.

Last edited:
Well just an update, I had my first glass of musle milk yesterday and had it right before bed. Woke up this morning and my sugar was great! Any idea if drinking muscle milk on the days that I don't train will help or hinder my progress so far? I know it's only been a couple of days of working out but just another question.....

IML Gear Cream!
Just to clarify, you're type I diabetic, right? The study juggernaut posted up is relevant to type II diabetics. You may find you do just fine with carbs, provided you match your insulin to your needs. Are you brittle, or well-controlled? Do you use a pump?

Also, your question may be misleading - you say you want to get cut, but that means lose weight, and I don't think that's what you want since you are thin and wish to gain weight. I think you might have meant that you want to get jacked - ie more muscular.

Just to clarify, you're type I diabetic, right? The study juggernaut posted up is relevant to type II diabetics. You may find you do just fine with carbs, provided you match your insulin to your needs. Are you brittle, or well-controlled? Do you use a pump?

Also, your question may be misleading - you say you want to get cut, but that means lose weight, and I don't think that's what you want since you are thin and wish to gain weight. I think you might have meant that you want to get jacked - ie more muscular.

"I think you might have meant that you want to get jacked - ie more muscular">>this is exactly what I meant! Thank you for clarifying...as far as my diabetes I am a type 1 and currently control it on a pump. My sugar levels remain pretty stable and I eat a healthy/not so healthy at times diet...meaning i'll splurge every once and awhile...

Ah, there we go. I fixed the thread-title to reflect your intent. You need to learn the jargon, boy!

Hopefully, you'll get some better answers this way. I'll ask you to read the link in my sig on getting started and report back with some numbers, okay? You'll see what I mean when you read the link.

Ah, there we go. I fixed the thread-title to reflect your intent. You need to learn the jargon, boy!

Hopefully, you'll get some better answers this way. I'll ask you to read the link in my sig on getting started and report back with some numbers, okay? You'll see what I mean when you read the link.

Haha ok thanks a lot man.....i wondered what happened to the thread title....And i will learn the Jargon, give me time....:wacko:

NP, bro.

<shhh... don't tell him... >

It will really help if you drink your protein drink after your workout since it is highly absorbable & your muscles need protein after muscle breakdown during the workout.

Also you can enhance your protein intake by eating 4-5 small high protein meals during the day.

High protein sources includes( egg white-tuna-red meat-chicken breasts-cottage cheese-skimmed milk)

It will really help if you drink your protein drink after your workout since it is highly absorbable & your muscles need protein after muscle breakdown during the workout.
This can indeed be a very good idea.

Also you can enhance your protein intake by eating 4-5 small high protein meals during the day.
This, however, is not true at all. There may even be a benefit to eating your protein in large, well-spaced meals.

High protein sources includes( egg white-tuna-red meat-chicken breasts-cottage cheese-skimmed milk)

Whole eggs are better because they contain more protein, as well as healthy fat.

This can indeed be a very good idea.

This, however, is not true at all. There may even be a benefit to eating your protein in large, well-spaced meals.

Whole eggs are better because they contain more protein, as well as healthy fat.

As usual, on the money.
I should say I do enjoy eating 3-4 meals a day and find it more satisfying saying to myself, okay I've had enough to eat. I hated eating the 5-7 meals a day, always feeling hungry. It sucked.
I usually eat about 4-5 eggs a day for my breakfast. Whole eggs.

Thanks for all of the input everyone keep it coming! Is it ok to drink a protein shake on the days that i don't workout and if so when? morning noon or night?

IML Gear Cream!
Whenever you want, and yes.

Back