• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

U.S. House votes to restore jobless aid for millions

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
U.S. House votes to restore jobless aid for millions
By Lori Montgomery
Washington Post Staff Writer

Congress has approved a six-month extension of emergency jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed. On a vote of 272 to 152, the House gave the measure final approval and sent it on to the White House, where aides said President Obama plans to sign it immediately.

The Senate passed the measure Wednesday.

The bill will revive a program that provides up to 99 weeks of income support to those who have exhausted state benefits, restoring aid to nearly 3 million people who have seen their checks cut off since the program expired June 2. Advocates for the unemployed said checks in some states are likely to go out quickly; in others, people can expect a delay of several weeks.

With unemployment at 9.5 percent, both parties agreed that aid should be extended to people who have lost their jobs. But the legislation has been mired for months in an increasingly bitter election-year battle over whether the government should add to an already bloated national debt to bolster the sluggish economic recovery.

Republicans said no, saying that the nation should pay for the $34 billion extension with unexpended funds from last year's economic stimulus package.

"I haven't heard anybody say we shouldn't be extending unemployment benefits. The difference is one side wants to borrow 34 cents on the dollar, mainly from the Chinese, and send the bill to our children and our grandchildren," said Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.).

Democrats argued that emergency benefits have never been paid for -- even during the Reagan administration -- and accused Republicans of trying to undermine public faith in the Obama administration.

"They'll say it's because of the deficit. But in reality, they're simply trying to make this president fail at any cost," said Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), who accused the GOP of trying to "infect" voters with "fiscal fear."

"The Republican leadership in Congress has decided that the way to get the White House back is by denying unemployment benefits to people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and show them that this government doesn't work," he said.

The extension was first introduced in a nearly $200 billion package of a variety of other economic measures sought by the Obama administration, including fresh aid to state governments and extended health insurance subsidies for the unemployed. Republicans blasted the spending plan, and conservative Democrats revolted, demanding that the package be scaled back.

Democratic leaders spent the next two months tossing various items overboard until nothing was left but the least controversial bit of spending: income support for unemployed workers. Democrats downsized even that program, dropping a $25-a-week bonus for all jobless workers that had been enacted under last year's stimulus package.

Even as the House approved the jobless bill, the Senate was wrestling with what may be the final item on the president's economic agenda for this year -- a package of small-business tax incentives. To draw Republican support, however, Democrats offered late Wednesday to cut out the heart of the package: a $30 billion fund to increase small-business lending.

I was listening to this yesterday on NPR. Good for Obama! The government waste so much fucking money that it doesn't even matter anymore, so they might as well waste it on people who deserve a little help.

I can't think of a better person to spend it on than someone who had been working, but lost their job in the downturn. Fuck the current republicans! I am sick and god damn tired of hearing about the deficit. They didn't give a flying fuck about the deficit when Bush gave insane tax cuts to the rich. They didn't say shit about the deficit when they spent ridiculous amounts of money fighting a losing war. But now that we are talking about helping out working class people, now they want to bring up the deficit.

I was listening to this yesterday on NPR. Good for Obama! The government waste so much fucking money that it doesn't even matter anymore, so they might as well waste it on people who deserve a little help.

I can't think of a better person to spend it on than someone who had been working, but lost their job in the downturn. Fuck the current republicans! I am sick and god damn tired of hearing about the deficit. They didn't give a flying fuck about the deficit when Bush gave insane tax cuts to the rich. They didn't say shit about the deficit when they spent ridiculous amounts of money fighting a losing war. But now that we are talking about helping out working class people, now they want to bring up the deficit.

yup, it's good to hear someone else that realizes that Republicans only support the rich, when someone tells me they are a Republican I ask them if they're a millionaire, obviously most say no, so I then ask why the hell are you a Republican?

yup, it's good to hear someone else that realizes that Republicans only support the rich, when someone tells me they are a Republican I ask them if they're a millionaire, obviously most say no, so I then ask why the hell are you a Republican?

hahah I like the answer "If I ever make a lot of money then I'd like to be able to keep that money"

Well.....nice pipe dream....Too bad you are middle class at best and are getting raped of your wages now and it is very likely that you will never have a lot of money!

hahah I like the answer "If I ever make a lot of money then I'd like to be able to keep that money"

Well.....nice pipe dream....Too bad you are middle class at best and are getting raped of your wages now and it is very likely that you will never have a lot of money!

Exactly. The people that complain about the rich are those that know that they're never going to be rich; Because, that's like...hard.

really, I am middle class at best? ummm...okay. I don't get raped of any wages bro, I am self employed, I own two companies, and unlike you I do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. If I don't feel like working I stay in bed, if I want to go on a vacation I just go. And money is not an issue in my life, it has not been for the past 10 years, in fact despite this downturn in the economy the past few years I have actually made MORE money each year....so GO FUCK YOURSELF. :)

Exactly. The people that complain about the rich are those that know that they're never going to be rich; Because, that's like...hard.

I am not complaining about the rich, I wish I was in the lucky sperm club and inherited wealth, but I didn't, I had to bust my ass to get where I am, which is a very comfortable place and I have more money than most people will ever have.

Oh, and the 8 day all inclusive vacation I had in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with my wife, a few weeks ago was awesome! :thumb:

really, I am middle class at best? ummm...okay. I don't get raped of any wages bro, I am self employed, I own two companies, and unlike you I do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. If I don't feel like working I stay in bed, if I want to go on a vacation I just go. And money is not an issue in my life, it has not been for the past 10 years, in fact despite this downturn in the economy the past few years I have actually made MORE money each year....so GO FUCK YOURSELF. :)

Wow...That message was completely misread...I was talking about Republicans who are not rich but think they will be some day.......some day....but they aren't and probably never will be...

I am not complaining about the rich, I wish I was in the lucky sperm club and inherited wealth, but I didn't, I had to bust my ass to get where I am, which is a very comfortable place and I have more money than most people will ever have.

Oh, and the 8 day all inclusive vacation I had in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with my wife, a few weeks ago was awesome! :thumb:

I wasn't talking about you specifically, I meant in a general sense.

The problem with busting your ass to get somewhere is that there is any number of politicians waiting in line to relieve you of your money and give it to someone who doesn't deserve it. Where it's going doesn't matter, it's just not right.

okay, sorry I thought you guys were attacking me, I guess I am a little on edge today. :)

by "rich" I don't mean a person that makes $250k per year, that is not rich in my mind, I am talking about those that make 7+ figures per year.

IML Gear Cream!
:clapping::clapping:
I always say why hate the rich....the tax cut help everyone...anyone that owns or runs a Bizz will tell ya ..but why not hate the rich just look at al gore went from being worth 1.5 million while Vp now is worth over 250 million...yea the drones are making him rich:coffee:

okay, sorry I thought you guys were attacking me, I guess I am a little on edge today. :)

by "rich" I don't mean a person that makes $250k per year, that is not rich in my mind, I am talking about those that make 7+ figures per year.
:clapping: I don't understand why the White House uses this 250K as a benchmark for being rich. If you live in NY you're only keeping 50% of that and 125K of post tax income in NY, SF, Chicago etc is middle class all the way. Its not 1980 anymore

:clapping: I don't understand why the White House uses this 250K as a benchmark for being rich. If you live in NY you're only keeping 50% of that and 125K of post tax income in NY, SF, Chicago etc is middle class all the way. Its not 1980 anymore

i think now your getting it...:thinking::coffee:

the dems more often than repubs want to take most of your money and leave you enough to just get by:coffee:

Sadly, I think all these view points have some merritt:

"I haven't heard anybody say we shouldn't be extending unemployment benefits. The difference is one side wants to borrow 34 cents on the dollar, mainly from the Chinese, and send the bill to our children and our grandchildren," said Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.).

Democrats argued that emergency benefits have never been paid for -- even during the Reagan administration -- and accused Republicans of trying to undermine public faith in the Obama administration.

"They'll say it's because of the deficit. But in reality, they're simply trying to make this president fail at any cost," said Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), who accused the GOP of trying to "infect" voters with "fiscal fear."

"The Republican leadership in Congress has decided that the way to get the White House back is by denying unemployment benefits to people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and show them that this government doesn't work," he said.

It's a shame so many people feel the need to sacrifice their personal principles to support parties that are so worried about being on the winning team that they fail to represent their constituants well.

A Democrat has constituants from all parties, as does a Republican. The us and them syndrome is causing grevious damage to our system.

I'd say if ur making over 100k as a single person, your doing pretty good 4 your self.

Im glad there helping out theses people who lost there jobs, i just hope its going to people who really need it and earn it, not some lazy fucker, nothing pisses me off more than when i see people on food stamps and there appears to be NOTHING WRONG with them, ( i work at a grocery store ) no if u got laid off from your job, or u have a phyiscal disablity or maybe your a single mother im definately okay with u getting goverment help im glad them programs r there for you, but to you lazy mother fuc*ers who just abuse the system go die u fucking leeches cuz im workin 4 your fat fuckin ass to eat.

oh and i agree with the above posts, if your making 250k the republican still dont care about you, your just a little shit compared to what there worried about, dems still care about small business and the middle/working people. Republicans today arent even republicans, idk what there party goals are, because obivously they are not the regan republicans in which all theses dumb middle class republicans think they r, and they helped cause the deficit

Sadly, I think all these view points have some merritt:

It's a shame so many people feel the need to sacrifice their personal principles to support parties that are so worried about being on the winning team that they fail to represent their constituants well.

A Democrat has constituants from all parties, as does a Republican. The us and them syndrome is causing grevious damage to our system.

The fact that it is destroying the system is lost on most people. The answers aren't all on the left or all on the right. They are somewhere in the middle. A simple three syllable word that too many people have forgotten: compromise.

Repubs, such fucking hypocrites, they are so upset about the spending when it's a Dem spending the money right here in the USA to try and help Americans, but they have no problem when GWB racked up a trillion dollar deficit starting a war in the middle east (a war that we will never win) that has done absolutely nothing for this country.

IML Gear Cream!
what bothers me with this issue, is "then what." After they can't find jobs with the extention, another request for more? If this is to be not the case, could someone please get those that said so and why and how in quotes?

interesting subject

Repubs, such fucking hypocrites, they are so upset about the spending when it's a Dem spending the money right here in the USA to try and help Americans, but they have no problem when GWB racked up a trillion dollar deficit starting a war in the middle east (a war that we will never win) that has done absolutely nothing for this country.

A trillion dollar deficit is turning into a drop in the bucket...not that Bush's ridiculous spending is justifiable either though. Repubs are just as hypocritical as
dems are. Its part of being a politician :(

I'm not an Obama basher, but he's no more hypocritical than Bush was. He promised to close GITMO, pull out of Iraq in a year, reduce defense spending (its actually gone up the past 2 yrs) and reduce the tax burden on the middle class and poor (has yet to happen).

Politicians always promise the world...and then they get elected and two factors force them to break their promises.

1. The play middle of the road strategy so they can get re elected
2. They get a real classified or "need to know" briefing giving them knowledge they didn't know before they took office...and realize that reality trumps idealism sometimes.

I will give him credit on following through on his promises regarding medical reform promise (despite the fact its watered down just like the FinReg reform bill)

that's ridiculous if you really believe that.

pretty typical bleeding heart response. you're simplistic view is bullshit. you act like Republicans want people out of work to lose their jobs & be out on their ass. Of course they don't.

Maybe they are hearing the analysts saying that we are heading toward financial ruin, and we simply don't have the money for all the social programs the Democrats want. But you go ahead & use the Democrat's intentionally deceptive smoke screen of buying votes while ignoring the deficit & telling people the REAL reason Republicans are against it. When you finally do care it may be too late. Sorry, but you're reasoning of the gov't "wasting so much money anyway" is the worst I've ever heard.

I don't give a flying fuck what Bush did. Republicans did support the bailouts, and they lost their asses at the polls... which is what is predicted for Democrats this fall.. couple weeks ago I saw a poll saying the public opinion of the Democratic party was at an all time low. You seeing a trend? Hopefully the Republicans learned their lesson.

Democrats are on the opposite side of the country on virtually every issue: Immigration (AZ law), bailouts, oil drilling, big government, healthcare, cap & trade.... let them continue to ignore the people. The Democrats gained huge majorities in the house & senate & won the Presidency not two years ago, and they blew it faster than even I thought they would. Good riddance to them. They'll lose the House in November (Adios, Nancy), lose seats in the senate, and Obama is a one-term president... guaranteed.. unless they do something stupid like nominate Palin.

Last edited:
Excellent post.

pretty typical bleeding heart response. you're simplistic view is bullshit. you act like Republicans want people out of work to lose their jobs & be out on their ass. Of course they don't.

Maybe they are hearing the analysts saying that we are heading toward financial ruin, and we simply don't have the money for all the social programs the Democrats want. But you go ahead & use the Democrat's intentionally deceptive smoke screen of buying votes while ignoring the deficit & telling people the REAL reason Republicans are against it. When you finally do care it may be too late. Sorry, but you're reasoning of the gov't "wasting so much money anyway" is the worst I've ever heard.

I don't give a flying fuck what Bush did. Republicans did support the bailouts, and they lost their asses at the polls... which is what is predicted for Democrats this fall.. couple weeks ago I saw a poll saying the public opinion of the Democratic party was at an all time low. You seeing a trend? Hopefully the Republicans learned their lesson.

Democrats are on the opposite side of the country on virtually every issue: Immigration (AZ law), bailouts, oil drilling, big government, healthcare, cap & trade.... let them continue to ignore the people. The Democrats gained huge majorities in the house & senate & won the Presidency not two years ago, and they blew it faster than even I thought they would. Good riddance to them. They'll lose the House in November (Adios, Nancy), lose seats in the senate, and Obama is a one-term president... guaranteed.. unless they do something stupid like nominate Palin.

It's hard for me to even begin explaining why this is horseshit. First of all the republicans started the bailouts in 2007. So, you explain to me how that is polar opposite of what the democrats are doing today with bailouts. The financial ruin took place during the republican administration during a time when Bush fucking thought that the best way to fix the economy was massive mother fucking tax cuts to the rich.

You can suck my fucking cock with the bleeding heart bullshit you partisan piece of shit. I got fucking friends that are suffering. I got friends that are losing their house and losing everything they had because they worked construction for companies that laid off fuck tons of people.

And again, like I fucking said, because I am fucking right. For right now, FUCK THE GOD DAMN DEFICIT! America hasn't made any real effort to actually pay it back in numerous administrations, and it is everyone's fault.

Did Bush decrease the deficit? NO! Did the previous Republicans decrease the deficit? NO! So why is the current war cry of the republicans to stop benefits to those who lost their job "but what about the deficit!". Fuck that! They are against helping middle class Americans. End of story!

Ok, that was a little extreme. Sorry! This is just an issue that hits home, and my frustration and anger level redlines when I think about the few people I care about suffer.

Back