• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Great Squat Video Series

Great post, reminded me of a few things I've neglected over the years and need to focus back on again.

I wish they would do a series on how to specifically fix duck butt. I stretch the shit out of my hips and hammies, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

My biggest focus right now is getting my squat form down. I've been studying the (64pp.) squat section of my new Starting Strength book and watching the Rippetoe DVD, and trying to apply it all at the gym. SS seems to accord with the EFTS vids except for one thing - head/eye positioning. Rip advises to look down at a spot on the floor about 4-5 ft. out as an important component of hip drive. In the SS DVD, he even demonstrates how hip drive suffers by looking up (not in front, mind you, as in the EFTS vids). Both systems advocate "chest out" but Rip says "chin down, chest out" and, in the book, talks about proper form equating essentially to being able to hold a tennis ball under the chin. The EFTS vids talk about the head position helping to tighten the back for proper bar placement, so I guess that might be explained a bit by Rip focusing more on keeping the elbows further back to achieve the same thing. Interesting that the one EFTS vid refers to looking down as potentially causing "handcuffing" and turning a near-fail into a fail. Dunno what Rip would say about that.

Ah well, all sorts of stuff to work out in this complex movement I guess. :thinking:

At least that eye/head thing seems to be the only point where EFTS and Rippetoe really differ. Both of 'em focus on keeping the knees shoved out, in line with the toe angle and I think that's ultra important. (And to think that, years ago, I never even thought about form and just figured I was doing it right 'cuz I was going to parallel or a bit below.)

Last edited:
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

My biggest focus right now is getting my squat form down. I've been studying the (64pp.) squat section of my new Starting Strength book and watching the Rippetoe DVD, and trying to apply it all at the gym. SS seems to accord with the EFTS vids except for one thing - head/eye positioning. Rip advises to look down at a spot on the floor about 4-5 ft. out as an important component of hip drive. In the SS DVD, he even demonstrates how hip drive suffers by looking up (not in front, mind you, as in the EFTS vids). Both systems advocate "chest out" but Rip says "chin down, chest out" and, in the book, talks about proper form equating essentially to being able to hold a tennis ball under the chin. The EFTS vids talk about the head position helping to tighten the back for proper bar placement, so I guess that might be explained a bit by Rip focusing more on keeping the elbows further back to achieve the same thing. Interesting that the one EFTS vid refers to looking down as potentially causing "handcuffing" and turning a near-fail into a fail. Dunno what Rip would say about that.

Ah well, all sorts of stuff to work out in this complex movement I guess. :thinking:

At least that eye/head thing seems to be the only point where EFTS and Rippetoe really differ. Both of 'em focus on keeping the knees shoved out, in line with the toe angle and I think that's ultra important. (And to think that, years ago, I never even thought about form and just figured I was doing it right 'cuz I was going to parallel or a bit below.)
I pull my neck back to help lock up the back. I don't tilt it back, or at least try not to....I try to keep a neutral neck (tennis ball) but if you pull back into the bar you still engage some extra support.

I pull my neck back to help lock up the back. I don't tilt it back, or at least try not to....I try to keep a neutral neck (tennis ball) but if you pull back into the bar you still engage some extra support.

I would never have thought of that - thank you!

lol

I wish they would do a series on how to specifically fix duck butt. I stretch the shit out of my hips and hammies, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle.
Duck Butt? Can you be more specific. lol

When you lose your arch at the bottom of the lift and your back starts to round. Alright......I'll put myself up here as the guinea pig actually. I don't really want to do this, but duck butt is VERY common and a lot of people do it. If I can help even a couple people fix it, then I'll be happy. Also, ignore my training partner's comments. He doesn't know anything.

YouTube Video

A perfect squat is where you can drop down into the hole and maintain proper arch stability through the whole lift. Like this example. It's not the best angle to compare my squat to his, but you can tell that he has zero hip rotation in the bottom position.

YouTube Video

In order to fix mine, I have done a ton of box squatting and hip stretching. I don't know if that's how one would normally go about fixing it, but it did help me.

Great Vid

When you lose your arch at the bottom of the lift and your back starts to round. Alright......I'll put myself up here as the guinea pig actually. I don't really want to do this, but duck butt is VERY common and a lot of people do it. If I can help even a couple people fix it, then I'll be happy. Also, ignore my training partner's comments. He doesn't know anything.

YouTube Video

A perfect squat is where you can drop down into the hole and maintain proper arch stability through the whole lift. Like this example. It's not the best angle to compare my squat to his, but you can tell that he has zero hip rotation in the bottom position.

YouTube Video

In order to fix mine, I have done a ton of box squatting and hip stretching. I don't know if that's how one would normally go about fixing it, but it did help me.
Thanks for adding this ;-)

IML Gear Cream!

Aaargh, now you have me totally focused on this (I do it too). Searching like mad to find some answers. The more common, and arguably more disgusting, term seems to be "butt wink". There's some tips offered in the RX#1 vid in the OP. From what I can gather so far, lifting shoes can help some. Funny thing is, on the Starting Strength forum, a little bit of this seems not to be critiqued when peeps post their squat vids on the technique forum. (Haven't done an extensive review of the posts, yet, mind you.) And I did come across some interwebs material that said some degree of losing the tight arch isn't a big concern. (Don't quote me on the veracity of that, just sayin'.)

I'm off to Maui on Monday and will likely be booking a coaching session with a PT that apparently trained under Dr. Squat, Fred Hatfield. If I do (ie unless I spend the whole time drinking and eating pineapple) I'll be sure to ask him about this specifically. (Its at a gym called Reps.)

In the meantime, here's another squat vid (linked not embedded so I don't get in trouble with the FBI's copyright unit)

Ed Coan Squat - YouTube!

(long vid: the squat portion seems to be only at the start. At least I bailed when it got to knee wrapping.)

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't he have a bit of the duck butt/ butt wink happening during his demo?

Also, I think this is the only squat vid I've seen with the arms out so wide. I don't think Rippetoe would be too keen on that, but I guess if you can still keep the back tight...

EDIT: ok, just played the squat portion of Rip's Starting Strength DVD and it looks to me like pretty much everyone does the wink to some degree even during reps that Rip seems pleased with. i.e. Cork, to my untrained eye, to about the same extent that you're doing it.

Last edited:
Hmmm Ted, thanks for posting that. That definitely gives me something to think on. Maybe it's because of my previous back injuries, but when I winked, I felt it directly in my lower back (and not in a good way). That is why I have been concerned with getting rid of it. Now my lower back feels great when squatting.

On the video the guy is using a box to go down to on his squat, I am wondering will using something like that still target all the same muscle groups as it would without it? Just because I have limited space in my home gym and to do squat I just use my barbell on my bench, will it be ok for me to squat down to my bench and back up? Do I need to go under the point where my legs are paralel to the floor to do a propper squat?

Back