Taken from an article from Muscle & Fitness Hers Aug/Sept 2002.
Good read and good info, read the full article for more specific info since I didn't type everything out! I tried to find the article online but it is not linked, so this is my quick summary...retyped!
Joint Solutions by Brian Rowley, MS
A look at four popular supplements that promise less soreness and faster healing for achy joints....
1) Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate -- natural building blocks used to build and repair joint cartilage and fascia, another type of connective tissue. Neither supplements is a quick fix; they both generally take about 2-4 months to work. Take 500 mg of glucosomine or 400mg of chondroitin three times per day for several months for best results, not necessarily all the time but certainly at times when you're recovering from wear and tear on your joints or if you have arthritis. Side effects are rare but include stomach upset, skin rash, increase in insulin levels in diabetics and possibly increased insulin resistance.
2) Omega-3 Fatty Acids -- Unlike glucosamine and chondroitin, omega 3 fatty acids don't assist in the rebuilding of joints but instead reduce the wear and tear. Eat fish at least twice a week - especially oily, cold-water varieties like salmon, trout and water-packed tuna - or take fish oil capsules.
3) SAMe -- Although less proven than glucosamine as a joint remedy, SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine, pronounced as "Sammy") has both anti-inflammatory and joint-rebuilding effects, and shows promise as a second-rung supplement for aches and pains. Normally, 800-1200mg of SAMe per day is used for achy joints and/or inflammation. Take on empty stomach as two or three 400mg doses (morning and noon) with a B-complex vitamin. Avoid SAMe if you are taking antidepressants or suffering from bipolar syndrome or other psychiatric disorder.
4) TMG -- Also called betaine or trimethylglycine. TMG is related to SAMe in that it helps build glucosamine while also having direct anti-inflammatory effects. TMG is made of beet sugar and along with certain vitamins, helps detoxify drugs and poisons and help protect the liver in a similar fashion as SAMe. About 300-500 mg per day of betaine or TMG has often been taken in conjuntion with SAMe. No side effects have been reported at the recommended doses. Don't take during a urinary tract infection as it may work against the prescribed medication for treating this condition.
We recommend this supplement "cocktail" for joint problems and generalized aches and pains. Allow at least 3 months for a noticeable benefit.
1) 1800 mg of fish oil omega-3 fatty acids(EPA plus DHA), either as 6 grams of a 30% omega-3 fish oil extract (usually with 180 mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per one capsule), as 2 grams of 92% omega-3 extract (such as Omega Brite), etc.
2) 1500 mg of glucosamine sulfate (or hydrochloride, if you can find it) as three 500 mg doses throughout the day (1200 mg chondroitin can be used instead). Never economize on glucosamine or especially chondroitin.