• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Heavy Lifting and Cardio

jsparis8

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've been lifting for some time now I'm trying to find a way to get much stronger and keep my endurance high without hurting either factor...
I kickbox year round and wrestle during the winter therefore it is very important for me to be as strong as possible and to have very high endurance.
I'm looking for some good workout ideas... I've tried heavy lifting and cardio in the same day and heavy lifting one day and cardio the next, but I don't want the effects of one to negate the other. I usually never work out more than 2 days in a row so I usually get enough rest between workouts.

Note that when I do cardio training for endurance I do everything from flipping tires in my backyard to running long distances to swimming to sprinting to throwning sandbags/bricks to jump roping to pushups/pullups etc, usually in circuits until I can't go on.

I'm thinking of having a week of only powerlifting and the next week only doing endurance workouts and switching every other week. My only problem is that I don't want to only progress in one of the two areas.

Any ideas or suggestions??

There will come a point where you will need to pick one to prioritize over the other. That point all really depends on your level of conditioning and such now, as you progress it will be difficult if not impossible to truly progress both a reasonable amount. I'm also assuming you are training for strength to supplement your athletic endeavors.

I think switching to full body workouts 2-3 times a week, depending on practices and conditioning work, would serve you best. Keep the workouts simple and focused, work on the big lifts (squat, bench, dead, row, pull up, overhead press, dip) and get strong using them. The cardio can really go after the w/o or on a separate day (depending on what type of cardio, how long and when your practices are). Remember that something has to get cut back because between practices, strength and conditioning work you run a big risk over training unless you are a pro who gets optimal sleep, nutrition, supplements, low stress etc.

You'd be best served by reading up on periodization. The stickies at the top give some info, and a search around these forums will give tons more.

Prioritize your goals, then focus on one goal at a time for a longer period of time.

It depends on your season as well. Is there a particular meet or event you really want to train for? What do you feel your strengths and weaknesses are in your sport? The answers to these questions will help you a lot.

The key is to pick one goal, work at it for a while to reach that goal, then move on to a different goal. Training endurance/strength at the same time could end as bad as causing injury.

Back