• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

the right post carbs

Hutchym8

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
last couple of weeks iv been smashing down cereal straight after my workouts (weetbix) is that good carbs to be eating straight after a workout.. also i been pumping honey on it.. iknow sugar is bad... honey bad aswel??
any gd advice on post workout carbs would b awsm

The cereal is fine, with milk even better. Get some dextrose to have on it - the honey's got the same problem as table sugar: fructose.

I like oats with some semi-sugary granola or even some Blueberries :)

Right now I am cutting with a PSMF, I add in macadamia nut oil with my pwo+creatine. I got this little trick from Dave Palumbo's site. No carbs. I dont miss it.

i roll with water, a banana and whey, blended. Not sure if it's the "best" form of carbs pwo, but I like it, goes down quick and I'm ready eat 30-40 minutes later.

Yeah, whey makes me hungry, especially with fruit!

Usually get a protein shake with some dextrose and whey protein isolate, glutamine and creatine.

The shake I mentioned would have some simple sugar and fructose. Fructose tends to refill liver glycogen while glucose tends to go to the muscles.

Use both and you have a one-two punch for glycogen resynthesis. At least, that's my theory.

I have always just had whey protein (40g protein) after my workouts and ate about one hour later, seemed to work fine for me...am i missing something?

It doesn't stimulate the much-desired insulin response, and it is preferentially taken up by liver glycogen.

The liver is the major site of fructose metabolism. In the liver, fructose can be converted to glucose derivatives and stored as liver glycogen — which is good if you're physically active.

However, the liver's ability to do this is limited — which isn't so good. With very high single-serving doses of fructose, the fructose that arrives at the liver can easily be converted to fat. This is more prominent in clients with high blood lipids, insulin resistance, or Type II diabetes.

Now, blood levels of fructose aren't directly subject to tight hormonal regulation. This is one of the reasons fructose has a low glycemic response — which is often considered a positive.

On the negative side, while high intakes of fructose can lead to the synthesis of fat, it also fails to stimulate the production of leptin.

Since leptin is a hormone involved in the long-term regulation of energy balance, the decrease in leptin production associated with chronic high fructose intake can have harmful effects on the regulation of energy intake and body fat.

In other words, with HFCS, you never get those "I'm full" signals from the brain. So you keep eating.

Source

ProTrainerOnline.com

nkira, that was a GREAT post.

Thanks! :)

last couple of weeks iv been smashing down cereal straight after my workouts (weetbix) is that good carbs to be eating straight after a workout.. also i been pumping honey on it.. iknow sugar is bad... honey bad aswel??
any gd advice on post workout carbs would b awsm

It's All In The Timing - Pre & Post Workout Nutrition
:: by Will Brink

Most people are aware that nutrient timing is as important as nutrient composition. In other words, it???s not just what you eat, but when you eat it that gives optimal results. As the man says, ???Timing is everything.??? Consuming the right foods at the right time can have positive effects on body composition: which means more muscle and less body fat.

Health-conscious people are told to avoid simple carbohydrates, and for good reasons. It???s not true all the time and in every situation, however. Following a heavy workout, there is a metabolic ???window??? - so to speak - where the body preferentially shuttles glucose into the liver and muscles to replace lost glycogen via both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent transport mechanisms. Translated, this means your body will shuttle carbs and protein into the tissues you want (muscle) instead of storing them as fat after a workout.

To carry the analogy further, the metabolic window doesn???t stay open indefinitely, so you need to take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts.

A number of studies have found that a post-workout drink containing simple, high-GI carbs and protein increases protein synthesis dramatically. The two work synergistically to create an anabolic environment that???s superior to either nutrient alone. In addition, some recent work suggests that a pre-workout drink may be superior to a post-workout drink, and consuming both may be best of all!

Cont:

It's All In The Timing - Pre & Post Workout Nutrition

IML Gear Cream!
The liver is the major site of fructose metabolism. In the liver, fructose can be converted to glucose derivatives and stored as liver glycogen ??? which is good if you're physically active.

However, the liver's ability to do this is limited ??? which isn't so good. With very high single-serving doses of fructose, the fructose that arrives at the liver can easily be converted to fat. This is more prominent in clients with high blood lipids, insulin resistance, or Type II diabetes.

Now, blood levels of fructose aren't directly subject to tight hormonal regulation. This is one of the reasons fructose has a low glycemic response ??? which is often considered a positive.

On the negative side, while high intakes of fructose can lead to the synthesis of fat, it also fails to stimulate the production of leptin.

Since leptin is a hormone involved in the long-term regulation of energy balance, the decrease in leptin production associated with chronic high fructose intake can have harmful effects on the regulation of energy intake and body fat.

In other words, with HFCS, you never get those "I'm full" signals from the brain. So you keep eating.

Source

ProTrainerOnline.com

Good post - I never knew that fact about the relationship between leptin and fructose.

Relationship between leptin and fructose is new to me too.....

Now I know why to keep fruit consumption in check.

This is utmost important for people who are cutting or trying too loose weight (fat).

I tried searching IMF for understanding this but could not find something that gave reasonable explanation.....but I had google!

The liver is the major site of fructose metabolism. In the liver, fructose can be converted to glucose derivatives and stored as liver glycogen ??? which is good if you're physically active.

However, the liver's ability to do this is limited ??? which isn't so good. With very high single-serving doses of fructose, the fructose that arrives at the liver can easily be converted to fat. This is more prominent in clients with high blood lipids, insulin resistance, or Type II diabetes.

Now, blood levels of fructose aren't directly subject to tight hormonal regulation. This is one of the reasons fructose has a low glycemic response ??? which is often considered a positive.

Source

ProTrainerOnline.com

This has me reconsidering honey as a source of pre/post carbs due to its high fructose content.

Use the weight-gaining powerlifting method - Wendy's :)

No, really, whether or not you're trying to keep your food consumption super "clean," you really don't need to fret over what carbs you're getting PWO as long as it has some starch and possibly some sugar. I've made some excellent gains the past couple of years without every using a shake after training. I just go home, shower, and eat my biggest meal of the day, and I'll often give myself some leeway as far as choices go. Your cereal sounds just fine, but make sure to get some protein other than just the milk in there.

do you guys have an example of natural foods high in glucose that can be eaten PWO besides dextrose and other supplements?

Couldnt resist...But seriously, why foods high in glucose? Depending on how well your body can assimilate carbs and the time of day you utilize these carbs, it may or may not be a good choice of foods.

Back