NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Front Squat Form

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Front Squat Form

I do Built's BGB, and I've been struggling with the front squat for some time now. I've been looking around online for information on form, but they seem to skip over the details of the issue that concerns me.

I've tried to hold the bar in the clean form, bout I found this very painful. When I do hang cleans, I find no problem with the wrist position at the top, but the additional load while squatting makes the position very painful.

I then switched to placing the bar across my shoulders and under my chin while stabilizing the bar by crossing my arms with my elbows up. However, I find myself very uncomfortable balancing the bar. At even light loads, the bar is very wobbly and unstable at first, and then eventually it settles. However, I'm worried that if I increase the load to a more practical weight, I wont be able to handle the wobble at the beginning.

So far, the exercise has been relatively ineffective as I've been unable to load up the bar to a practical weight and then be able to balance it.

Any ideas on any common form problems that I may be doing?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Try this trick, which I know as being Poliquin's:

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Poliquin strap trick for front squats - this is how I do them:

u-tube demo of someone using them for a 500-lb front squat: YouTube - Craig Smith 500lb Front Squat
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

is there any benefit to using a clean grip over a cross grip? I find a clean grip very awkward and have always just used a cross grip... i'm not sure why you have balance issues unless your shoulders are too narrow or you're not holding the bar in the middle?
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Just one opinion on clean vs crossover grip:

The Clean Grip. Front Squats using the Clean Grip will feel uncomfortable at first. Many switch to the Cross-armed Grip for that reason. Don’t be one of them. Front Squat with a Clean grip. Benefits:

Safer. It’s easier to keep your elbows up so the bar doesn’t roll of your shoulders using the Clean Grip.
    Carry-over. Power Cleans & Overhead Presses become easier because you’re using bigger weights in a similar position on the Front Squat.

How to Front Squat with Proper Technique | StrongLifts.com

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

And I have no idea why I can't get it to immediately balance either. My shoulders are relatively wide, so I don't think that's the issue. I'll give the straps a try, if that works, then problem solved.

By the way, nice signature Skib.

Amor Fati

Rep Points

2 things you can try.

1. Work on wrist flexibility.

2. You shouldn't really be holding the bar with your hands, you need to create a rack with your shoulders/clavicle and rest the bar there. You don't even need to keep all of your fingers under the bar, the important thing is to keep your elbows high, and your torso upright so the bar doesn't roll forward.

When I teach people the exercise with a low weight, I get in position do some reps then I extend my elbows forward to illustrate that the bar should still be in position and that your 'rack' should be holding the bar in place not your wrists. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a couple of hundred pounds on you, but I think it sort of gives people a better idea of where the stabilization is coming from.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

After some stretching exercises, wrist flexibility is a very likely culprit. No idea why they are so tight, but after a few stretches I can sense that there's definitely room for improvement.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yanick is absolutely correct.

For what it's worth, I used straps for the first few years of doing front squats - over time my wrist flexibility came up, from that and from doing hang cleans. I no longer need the straps, but they served a purpose.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Absolutely use whatever method you feel comfortable with, so you can actually load it up and get strong. In the mean time though you can work on flexibility and form during warm up sets, in between, after your workout, whatever. After some time you'll be able to get it with a clean grip.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

Iam only 1 but stil Iam 1
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Best explanation..... Good work Yanick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
    2 things you can try.

1. Work on wrist flexibility.

2. You shouldn't really be holding the bar with your hands, you need to create a rack with your shoulders/clavicle and rest the bar there. You don't even need to keep all of your fingers under the bar, the important thing is to keep your elbows high, and your torso upright so the bar doesn't roll forward.

When I teach people the exercise with a low weight, I get in position do some reps then I extend my elbows forward to illustrate that the bar should still be in position and that your 'rack' should be holding the bar in place not your wrists. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a couple of hundred pounds on you, but I think it sort of gives people a better idea of where the stabilization is coming from.
    QUIET IS MIGHT. SOLITUDE IS STRENGTH. INTROVERSION IS POWER.
    Words of a Wise Woman - We don't all get to have all things. I have been given more than most, not as much as others.
    I enjoy the gifts that I have, I share what I can, and try not to begrudge others for having things that I don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Power House became my hospital and the iron became my medicine.

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

I prefer to do front squats with dumbbells. Problems might arise when trying to get the weight up, but I manage.

Here's a video in case you want to try it.

Tip the elbows forward to take stress off the shoulder area and manage the weight more efficiently.

In BUILT We Trust