• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Move Over Jay Cutler...

Stewart14

Weapon of Choice
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK, so I've decided to abandon my hopes of getting a 405 bench press and powerlifting in general, and start up a more bodybuilding oriented approach to training. Bottom line is that for whatever reason right now is not a good time for me to try to achieve strength records and powerlifting in general. Now, that's not to say I won't return, but right now I need something a little more simpler and less stressful.

These workouts are still going to be as heavy as I can, but I am going to use different rep ranges for different exercises, something I don't usually do, and use a strict bodypart split, with a little carryover, but no exercise will be done more than once per week. Going to try for lots more volume as well for each given exercise without killing myself in the process.

Going to tentatively go with the following split:
Sunday-back
Monday-chest
tuesday-off
wednesday-biceps/traps
thursday-shoulders/tris
friday-off
saturday-legs

Leg work is going to be real cheesy for at least a couple of weeks while I get my back pain straightened out.

so without further ado, here is my first chest workout of the new plan:

Sept 14

CHEST

Incline Bench Press
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5

Flat DB Press
105 x 8
105 x 7
105 x 6

Dips
BW+45 x 12
BW+45 x 10

the new jay cutler! go get emmm!!:ohyeah:

You will prolly be a bit more soar tomorrow.

You will prolly be a bit more soar tomorrow.

yeah, maybe we'll see...the sad thing is I couldn't even do more if I wanted to, and that wasn't even all that much volume. gotta ease into this i think.

the dips were sad....i have done +115 for 10 reps recently when fresh, this was just brutal today, my arms just wouldn't move an inch at the end

I think you will progress nicely with this. Something different always works!

IML Gear Cream!
yeah, maybe we'll see...the sad thing is I couldn't even do more if I wanted to, and that wasn't even all that much volume. gotta ease into this i think.

the dips were sad....i have done +115 for 10 reps recently when fresh, this was just brutal today, my arms just wouldn't move an inch at the end
could a possibility be that the arms were 'cold?' You've done dips prior after other body parts and they were warmed up and primed. I've tried them by themselves and they hurt...that's just me. just .02 worth.

Sept 15

BACK

Chest Supported Rows
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5

Plate Loaded Lat Pulldowns
145 x 8
145 x 8
145 x 8

DB Rows
105 x 8
105 x 8
105 x 8

Close Grip V-Bar Pulldowns
120 x 12
120 x 12

Plate Loaded Cable Rows
70 x 12
70 x 12

*I forgot how much I enjoy "bodybuilding" exercises like the close grip pulldowns and the cable rows. I remembered that my squat rack has a tower extension on it that lets you do low cable rows, that is a fun exercise right there. Of course, it is much more rough and hard than a gym low cable row machine, but it serves its purpose I guess.

*And yes, my chest is sore today from yesterday, I expect my back to be the same tomorrow :p

Sept 16

EASY LEG DAY

Squats
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

*Wide stance, spread knees apart on decent, bounced out of the hole like it was nothing (thank you box squats) and this was just another test for the low back, so far so good. Next week I will reintroduce my plate loaded squats and glute ham raises in addition to the squats

Sept 17

VERTICAL PUSH DAY

Standing OH Press
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5

Dips
BW+90 x 8
BW+90 x 8
BW+90 x 8

Seated Neutral Grip DB Press
50 x 12
50 x 12

*I know I said I was going to do a bodypart split, but I looked at what I had written up for it, and there was so much crossover on it anyway, I opted for a different but somewhat similar setup. If anyone has the time to train 5 days per week, I definitely recommend the following split:
day 1-Horizontal Push
day 2-Legs
day 3-Off
day 4-Horizontal Pull
Day 5-Vertical Push
day 6-off
day 7-Vertical Pull

Breaking up the planes into push and pull makes for shorter workouts than the traditional split of doing both push and pull in the same plane in the same workout, and you can be more aggressive on each exercise since you won't be worn out. And you get the benefit of hitting the push and pull muscles twice per week, while getting legs once to allow for recovery. Well, I like it anyway :D

Damn you sure can do Dips

Sept 19

PULL

Chinups
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5

DB Rows
115 x 6
115 x 6
115 x 6
115 x 6

DB Shrugs
115 x 8
115 x 8
115 x 8

Wide Grip Plate Loaded Cable Rows*
70 x 12
70 x 12
*Awkward setup on my home machine, so back off with the light weights listed :pissed:

IML Gear Cream!
Thats awesome, I was doing some good Dips last month. Now I struggle with bodyweight lol.

I was surfing through your blog and I see you got some certificates, congrats on them :).

I was thinking of going for certifications as well, is there anything you recommend I should take? study or a different certificate to obtain first before heading for the NSCA.

Thats awesome, I was doing some good Dips last month. Now I struggle with bodyweight lol.

I was surfing through your blog and I see you got some certificates, congrats on them :).

I was thinking of going for certifications as well, is there anything you recommend I should take? study or a different certificate to obtain first before heading for the NSCA.

Ha, I haven't updated that blog in a VERY long time, I don't even know what's in there anymore, maybe I should check it out, hehe...

Anyway, if you are seriously considering any type of job in this field that requires certifications, I would just go for the NSCA CSCS, and forget all the rest. IMO, that is the best cert out there, coupled with the right experience and/or education, you could probably do anything you wanted to in the industry with that cert. Ask PFunk about it, I believe he has the CSCS.

i'm pretty sure that's a difficult one to get, study and knowledge wise...you would really need to study your ass off for that one. I got NSCA's certified personal trainer cert, and I really didn't study too well for it, and still passed the test.

It doesn't matter though, the cert is just like your college degree would be, just to get your foot in the door...plenty of people with certs don't know what the hell they are talking about, and plenty of people without them know much much more info than they do, yet the guy with the cert will get the job, see what I mean?

Sept 20

Happy 5 months to my little girl, man that time flew....

PUSH

Incline Bench Press
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5

Seated Neutral Grip OH DB Press
75 x 6
75 x 6
75 x 6
75 x 6

2 Board Press
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 7

Ha, I haven't updated that blog in a VERY long time, I don't even know what's in there anymore, maybe I should check it out, hehe...

Anyway, if you are seriously considering any type of job in this field that requires certifications, I would just go for the NSCA CSCS, and forget all the rest. IMO, that is the best cert out there, coupled with the right experience and/or education, you could probably do anything you wanted to in the industry with that cert. Ask PFunk about it, I believe he has the CSCS.

i'm pretty sure that's a difficult one to get, study and knowledge wise...you would really need to study your ass off for that one. I got NSCA's certified personal trainer cert, and I really didn't study too well for it, and still passed the test.

It doesn't matter though, the cert is just like your college degree would be, just to get your foot in the door...plenty of people with certs don't know what the hell they are talking about, and plenty of people without them know much much more info than they do, yet the guy with the cert will get the job, see what I mean?

The CSCS cert is a good one, but its sports oriented and wouldnt do much good if your looking to work in an average gym. There you deal with overweight women and people with multiple imbalances. Its not very often you can use something with a CSCS cert. Also I am assuming you have a bachelors? You can only take the CSCS if you have a degree.

I know nothing about NSCA. But if your looking for a basic cert that helps deal with the general population NASM is a good one. Honestly though you learn from experience way more than from any silly cert. Ive seen some of the most ignorant people with certs doing the dumbest shit with their clients. For instance I went into a Golds gym about 2 months ago and I saw an elderly woman trying to get on a bosu ball. She could barely stand on it with the trainer holding her hands! So the trainer lets her hands go and tries to hand her dumbells! The lady falls right on her ass. You could tell she didnt want to be there anymore. I felt so bad for her. Sorry to blab on, but I think what I am trying to say is just educate yourself as much as possible before working with people because you dont want to be that guy.

Ive seen some of the most ignorant people with certs doing the dumbest shit with their clients. For instance I went into a Golds gym about 2 months ago and I saw an elderly woman trying to get on a bosu ball. She could barely stand on it with the trainer holding her hands! So the trainer lets her hands go and tries to hand her dumbells! The lady falls right on her ass.

The bosu ball has become the latest fad in the gym. Many of the trainers I see have their clients use it for a majority of their exercises.

There's also one clown who uses it for every exercise I've seen him do. He sits on it to do overhead presses. He lies on it to do chest presses. He even leans on it when doing tricep kickbacks. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't mind this fad at all. It keeps the riff-raff outta my squat rack. :lol:

Sept 21

LOWER

Squats
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5

*Still playing it safe with the back, this was a 20 pound jump over last week, and I feel ok so far, so it looks like I can cautiously continue to go up on the squats so long as I use a wide stance and really concentrate on form. IT does however mean that deadlifts are probably off limits for the foreseeable future, which sucks, but as long as I can at least squat, that is good for something

Sept 22

A. Seated OH Press from Rack
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2

B. Chest Supported Rows
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2
165 x 2

C1. Flat DB Press
107.5 x 6
107.5 x 6
107.5 x 6

C2. Plate Loaded Pulldowns
160 x 6
160 x 6
160 x 6

*The standing OH press is unfortunately not really an option for me anymore, I have to clean the weight up, and that's not really why I am doing these presses standing. Of course, that is true might, to clean what you press, but aside from bad form, my forearm gets a serious pain for like 2 days after doing them, so I decided to stop. I don't want to move my squat rack upstairs, so the seated press will have to do.

Back