Johns Hopkins student kills burglary suspect with samurai sword

View Poll Results: Do you have any weapons in your home to use in case of an intruder?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a gun.

6 37.50%
  • Yes, a sword/knife.

3 18.75%
  • Yes, a bat.

2 12.50%
  • Yes, a pink dildo.

1 6.25%
  • No.

2 12.50%
  • No, I am a liberal and I greet them ass up naked and lubed.

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Johns Hopkins student kills burglary suspect with samurai sword

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Updated Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 4:50 PM

BALTIMORE — A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but no charges were filed by early afternoon, said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder, who was crouching beneath a counter.

The student asked the suspect what he was doing and threatened to call police.
    "When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

The intruder's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and the man suffered a severe cut to the upper body. The 49-year-old suspect, whom police described as a habitual offender, died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, though police were not sure whether the slain suspect was responsible, Guglielmi said.
    There was a pool of blood Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.
    Police had not yet released the suspect's name because they were having trouble locating his relatives. Guglielmi said he had 29 prior arrests, mostly for burglary and breaking and entering, and had been released Saturday from a Baltimore County jail after serving about a year for auto theft.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Kenny Eaton, 20, a junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Read more: Johns Hopkins student kills burglary suspect with samurai sword
    Last edited by min0 lee; 09-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

My shotgun I use primarily for deer hunting.
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If the kid was really protecting his property then I hope they press no charges against him.

.::.:: Legend ::.::.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I love how on the poll, the bar for the pink dildo is pink.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

LOL, wow.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiTaL View Post
    I love how on the poll, the bar for the pink dildo is pink.
    Do you also like how it's the only one in italics?
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

I knew the victim, he was a real cut-up
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Do you also like how it's the only one in italics?
    That's odd....

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    I knew the victim, he was a real cut-up
    I heard he was a little limp wristed......
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i have a hand gun and a shot gun
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

I have a pick handle, and a machete.

Soon as i have the time and inclination, i will be looking into the UK gun license because of threads in OC of people talking about how awesome their guns are. It sounds like a fun hobby.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    I have a pick handle, and a machete.

Soon as i have the time and inclination, i will be looking into the UK gun license because of threads in OC of people talking about how awesome their guns are. It sounds like a fun hobby.
    Ammo had become very expensive. FYI. I like hobbies that don't cost much money. Like running and weight training
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

Cleaner

Rep Points

The go to... the swords...(short and long). If there is a need to retreat the rifle cuts through walls floors, TVs, knickknacks, etc.

I put the swords in discreet positions mainly for my stupid neighbor's pits. If you need to take care of an issue blades satisfy.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

29 prior arrests, and finally bad luck at the craps table.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee View Post
    Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword.
    He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

I love stories with happy endings.
    Here's a site with lots of happy endings.
    Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog

Now...as far as the part I left quoted...who cares why a non-felon has a sword. Why was that even brought up? Maybe he likes them. Maybe he wanted to be a ninja after graduation. The point is moot.
    The guy made the decison to try and rob somebody and he paid for his mistake with his life...one less tax payer burden.
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Burner02 View Post
    I love stories with happy endings.
    Here's a site with lots of happy endings.
    Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog

Now...as far as the part I left quoted...who cares why a non-felon has a sword. Why was that even brought up? Maybe he likes them. Maybe he wanted to be a ninja after graduation. The point is moot.
    The guy made the decison to try and rob somebody and he paid for his mistake with his life...one less tax payer burden.
    i have a weapon in almost every room. it wasnt by design. no guns though.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The only crime I have to worry about in my town is a neighbor's dog shitting on my lawn.

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

guns dont kill people, people kill people. well guns do kill people when you point them at someone and pull the trigger...so...well...
    OK so a plane is going to crash and theres a white man, a black man, and a mexican on board and then so the planes going down and then so ....i forget the rest but remember the alamo.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Monopoly and scrabble pretty much keeps people at bay. Oh, and my vicious attack dog works wonders!

Rep Points

It's sad that he died for such a petty crime.

I'll never in my life own a gun or knife with the inclination to using it on someone. I'd rather hand them my stuff than take their lives. Lives are precious and you don't know why they might be stealing.
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by T_man View Post

I'll never in my life own a gun or knife with the inclination to using it on someone. I'd rather hand them my stuff than take their lives. Lives are precious and you don't know why they might be stealing.
    Have you ever been robbed before?
    Do you know how much it sucks to have your car window broken into 3 times in a month?
    How would you feel having a name ring that a loved one gave you 23 years stolen?

And for what....drugs.
    Most honest people try to work to feed their kids, I doubt this piece of shit was feeding anyone but his own drug habit.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

That was the robbers choice. He decided that time...and evidently 49 times prior to rob people.
    What if he (bad guy) had a weapon?
    What if he went into kid's place w/ intent to harm?

Well, his bad karma finally caught up with him.

And by the way: it's NEVER ok to steal from anybody. Ever.

To answer your statement: most people do not have the inclination to want to use a weapon on another human being. That being said: someone breaks into your home. You don't know what their intentions are towards you or your family, but they are not good. They made the decision to risk their life, not you. They get what they deserve. Again: personal responsibility.
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronAddict View Post
    Monopoly and scrabble pretty much keeps people at bay. Oh, and my vicious attack dog works wonders!
    My 12 dogs are handy......albeit 7 of them are barely tall enough to bite an ankle they are adept at getting under foot and tripping a person up.....then my other dogs would drown them in slobber........

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post
    The only crime I have to worry about in my town is a neighbor's dog shitting on my lawn.
    I have to worry about our neighbors 40 year old retarded sons diaper leaking as he walks in front of my house, I swear I saw globs of turd fall as he walked by and when I went outside their was a trail right to their gate.....nasty!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    I have to worry about our neighbors 40 year old retarded sons diaper leaking as he walks in front of my house, I swear I saw globs of turd fall as he walked by and when I went outside their was a trail right to their gate.....nasty!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Burner02 View Post
    That was the robbers choice. He decided that time...and evidently 49 times prior to rob people.
    What if he (bad guy) had a weapon?
    What if he went into kid's place w/ intent to harm?

Well, his bad karma finally caught up with him.

And by the way: it's NEVER ok to steal from anybody. Ever.

To answer your statement: most people do not have the inclination to want to use a weapon on another human being. That being said: someone breaks into your home. You don't know what their intentions are towards you or your family, but they are not good. They made the decision to risk their life, not you. They get what they deserve. Again: personal responsibility.
    Really? so most people buy guns and keep them by their beds at night just to look cool?

Rep Points

I'm not saying I like being robbed. But I'm sure the hurt I get from being robbed will be easier than what their families will have to go through. Robber or not his family still love him.

And I will never take someone's life. Ever. Even if my life depended on it.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm not saying I like being robbed. But I'm sure the hurt I get from being robbed will be easier than what their families will have to go through. Robber or not his family still love him.

And I will never take someone's life. Ever. Even if my life depended on it.
    Wow....I take it you never been robbed.
    My mother was robbed twice, once at gunpoint and the other was a purse snatching.
    To hear you feel pity for the criminal makes me sick......really.
    A large percentage steal just to get a fix.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Go ask Soxmuscle how he felt when they stole his laptop from his room.
    It doesn't feel good.

.::.:: Legend ::.::.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Someone stole my $1000 bicycle in July from our back yard. I got obviously pissed off and filed a report to the police and whatnot.

Late August I went to the mall, and after parking my car I noticed a blue bike that resembled mine so I went to take a look at it. Turns out, it was mine cause I had specific markings on it so it was easily recognizable. I took the seat off and waited for its owner to show up so we can discuss where he got this. The security guards showed up and asked me few questions and I said this is my bicycle and it was stolen.

So a group of 3 punks showed up, after I told them to give me my back and we dont want any trouble, these guys actually threatened to beat me up. Bunch of highschool drop outs.

I bitch slapped one of them and the security guards (about 4) stopped us and took our names, apparently the kid who stole my bicycle was mall banned for 18 years but he made an appearance and he had many criminal records (once cops showed up).

I got my bike and told this kid if i see him outside the mall Im breaking his legs.

I did see him outside the mall, in the basketball court like 2 weeks ago. And yes we did beat the shit out of him, after he threatened to steal it back. I dont care if his family likes him or not, stealing is plain simple wrong, you dont need a phD to know stealing is bad in every way, theres gotta be a punishment for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast