Is it necessary to eat sugar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Is it necessary to eat sugar?

I got into an discussion with a girl over whether people need sugar in their diets. This discussion started after one of our friends told us they are allergic to sugar. (They have quit adding any sweeteners to foods)

Her basic argument is that people need sugar, honey, or other sweeteners in order to be healthy. She said that sugar is essential to avoid loosing excessive body weight.

I said that fruits, vegetables, and perhaps other food groups naturally contain sugar. This sugar is all that is necessary for health.

So, is sugar a necessary component of the human diet? Are there any risks in avoiding added sugars?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There are no essential carbohydrates. Nobody needs sugar in any form to survive.

That being said, it's damned tasty.

Please be clear that there are many types of sugar and they all have different effects in the body, okay? The sugar in fruit and the sugar on your table have, for the most part, the same split between glucose and fructose.

And it's not possible to have an allergy to sugar. You can have trouble digesting it or metabolizing it though.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

The only one of the macronutrients that is considered essential, at least by the RDA, is protein.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    The only one of the macronutrients that is considered essential, at least by the RDA, is protein.
    For normal endocrine and joint function you do need fats though - why do we care what the outdated RDA says?
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    There are no essential carbohydrates. Nobody needs sugar in any form to survive.
    That is false. The body, especially the brain needs sugar to survive and work properly.

You don't need to add table sugar to your meals or drink fruit juice but you do need it in some form or another. Carbs of all complexities break down into sugar, even whole wheat pasta, beans, and things like that. There really is no avoiding it but the answer is yes, you do need to have some intake of sugar.

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hahzist View Post
    That is false. The body, especially the brain needs sugar to survive and work properly.

You don't need to add table sugar to your meals or drink fruit juice but you do need it in some form or another. Carbs of all complexities break down into sugar, even whole wheat pasta, beans, and things like that. There really is no avoiding it but the answer is yes, you do need to have some intake of sugar.
    Would you like to be more specific on why "the body" requires carbohydrates?

The brain would be just fine using ketones.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That being said, it's damned tasty.

Please be clear that there are many types of sugar and they all have different effects in the body, okay? The sugar in fruit and the sugar on your table have, for the most part, the same split between glucose and fructose.

And it's not possible to have an allergy to sugar. You can have trouble digesting it or metabolizing it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hahzist View Post

Actually, you're right about parts of the brain needing sugar; glucose specifically. I can't recall where other than retinal tissue, but there is a need for a tiny bit of sugar - and it really is a tiny amount, something like 5 grams.

Your body is capable of making this glucose from protein and or from fat. There is never a need to consume carbohydrate in any form in order for the brain to have an adequate supply of glucose.

Quote Originally Posted by m11 View Post
    Would you like to be more specific on why "the body" requires carbohydrates?

The brain would be just fine using ketones.
    Indeed. In fact, ketones have demonstrated benefits for a number of neurological problems, such as epilepsy and Alzheimer's.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Hahzist, here's a nice, concise passage on what happens when you deprive yourself of sugar and the gluconeogenesis that follows. Famine response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Towards the end, it goes into gluconeogenesis from amino acids. The article assumes malnutrition, but this state can be avoided by maintaining a positive nitrogen balance through adequate protein intake. Positive N balance in conjunction with heavy resistance training will basically keep this from happening for the most part.

Rep Points

Yeah I agree with Built and m11. With gluconeogenesis there is zero necessity to eat any forms of sugar. Now everyone is different and some people can quickly adapt where others can't.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And let me re-state: I'm not saying "nobody eat any carbs anymore!!!" mkay? Just sayin' your body does not require any dietary carbohydrate, ever, to function properly.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

I agree with Built. Personally for me I can only withstand ketosis for a couple days. The times that I did try longer I was always tired and weak. Plus I love carb ups too much

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think I asked you this, but what macros did you run when you tried ketogenic dieting, calalilly?

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Oh this was so long ago I don't remember. Kept my fat and protein high. I should try it again and see how different it would be now that I'm not lifting bodybuilding style.

Rep Points

What about insulin?
    Is the protein consumed enough to stimulate a good enough insulin response from the body?
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    For normal endocrine and joint function you do need fats though - why do we care what the outdated RDA says?
    I'm not saying it's healthy to consume no fat. I advocate a substantial amount of fat in the diet. My point is you can live without consuming it as far as I can tell. I thought we were merely speaking hypothetically here?

1RM Videos

Rep Points

linolenic and linoleic acid are essential fatty acids and are needed.

Rep Points

In short: no.

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KenEm View Post
    In short: no.
    Haha, well said.

Rep Points

They are needed for cell and tissue as well as brain and eye function. Its not essential to take them in supplement form as they are found in most foods.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by calalily1972 View Post
    They are needed for cell and tissue as well as brain and eye function. Its not essential to take them in supplement form as they are found in most foods.
    But they still classed as fat amiright?
    Cheat on your girlfriend, not on your meal.

T_Man to He_Man - Journal

INK NOT MINK
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I gotta have my bag of donuts every morning

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm not saying it's healthy to consume no fat. I advocate a substantial amount of fat in the diet. My point is you can live without consuming it as far as I can tell. I thought we were merely speaking hypothetically here?
    There's a reason why essential fatty acids are called "essential": your body cannot make them under any circumstances. Like essential amino acids, they must be consumed from food (or supplements, which are still food for that matter).

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

There's a reason why essential fatty acids are called "essential": your body cannot make them under any circumstances. Like essential amino acids, they must be consumed from food (or supplements, which are still food for that matter).
    I realize this. I was under the impression that it is necessary to intake EFAs for good health, but not necessarily to sustain life. Protein on the other hand, if not consumed in sufficient quantities, can certainly lead to death in the long term.

1RM Videos

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I realize this. I was under the impression that it is necessary to intake EFAs for good health, but not necessarily to sustain life. Protein on the other hand, if not consumed in sufficient quantities, can certainly lead to death in the long term.
    No, you DON'T realize this. "Essential" MEANS "you cannot live without it".

EFAs are ESSENTIAL fatty acids. This doesn't mean "important for good health" - this means "essential to sustain life". Without an intake of EFAs, you won't just be unhealthy - you'll die.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by T_man View Post
    But they still classed as fat amiright?
    Yes they are. Omega 3 and 6. Essential fatty acids. As I and Built said you can find them in many foods.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

linolenic and linoleic acid are essential fatty acids and are needed.
    In what quantities? I can't name one food that I eat that would contain any significant amounts of linolenic acid in my current diet and I don't think I'm dead yet
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Walnuts, canola oil, olive oil...

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Walnuts, canola oil, olive oil...
    Flax? To add, fish, chicken, rice, oats, most green veggies etc. Nuts in general, (especially raw, which I could be considered at hypocrite because I don't like raw nuts sans raw cashews, don't hate me Built ) IMO, have the best qualities of n6. Fish has the best for n3's (again, just my opinion).

BTW - how you been? Things going good for you? I know I haven't been around a lot but I still think about my online friends!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Any animal that lives off the land has EFA's Reason to buy Free-range animals

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Flax? To add, fish, chicken, rice, oats, most green veggies etc. Nuts in general, (especially raw, which I could be considered at hypocrite because I don't like raw nuts sans raw cashews, don't hate me Built ) IMO, have the best qualities of n6. Fish has the best for n3's (again, just my opinion).

BTW - how you been? Things going good for you? I know I haven't been around a lot but I still think about my online friends!
    I didn't mention flax since I figured he wasn't eating it (not many do anymore, I think), but most folks here eat olive oil and raw nuts of some sort, and I was looking for food items with alpha linolenic he was likely to be eating.

Raw cashews are to DIE for! And I finally got used to raw almonds, although it took a bit.

Good to see you again!

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast