• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Upper Push/Pull - exercise choices for limited direct arm work

Phineas

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm currently putting together my first push/pull horizontal/vertical programs for upper body (I've already written and began my lower push/pull).

Anyway, I'm excited to drop the many direct arm exercises in favour of more compound exercises. However, as I've seen many members on here do, I think I'll still include one direct bicep and tricep exercise per program (just for a little extra kick).

Now, I know Built suggest throwing in sets of chins, and certainly those are my favourite bicep exercise (like there are really any other, lol). But, I'm wondering...would it be wise to rotate this with another bicep exercise when I switch to my other 6 week program? (I have two 6-week programs with different exercises and periodization which culminate on week 12 with max attempts). I'm unsure because I'd like to do chins all the time for my sole bicep exercise (as compound is always better), and I figured as long as I'm changing all my other exercises (including bicep-hitting rows), that it would be okay to not change up that one exercise. So, should I just keep this is as my one bicep exercise always? Or, should I bring in something like incline hammer curls in one of the program? (trying to keep out isolation).

As for triceps, my exercise of choice has always been weighted dips (the behind the back variation using two benches..in fact, during my time doing arm/shoulders splits I've always kept dips as one of my 3 tricep exercises), but, as with the question above, I'm unsure whether (with the other changing chest/shoulder exercises) I need to change this up to. For instance, should I bring into one of the programs extensions,french curls, close-grip bench, etc, as a replacement? Also, I read that when working the triceps with the arms above the head you hit all three heads. Is this true? Bearing this in mind, maybe I should use dips for only one of the two 6-week cycles, and use a different exercise with the arms above me?

Thanks for whatever information you can provide :)

just my 2cents -

i think your okay with your bicep exercise as long as your making steady progress. Look into buying a weighted vest or even better a belt -this leads me to my next point...

IMHO the dips your currently doing are waay bad for your shoulders plus their awkward and the range of motion isn't the best,others must surely agree.

Drop them .get a belt! hang some weight off that belt and do the dips on parallel bars ,go deep and don't lock out your elbows at the top of the movement. Not only will these annihilate your tri's they will also punish your chest without placing your shoulders under any unneccesary strain.

one last point if your dead set on an exercise to isolate your triceps then do Lying Dumbell Tricep extensions using a neutral grip (palms facing towards each other). these hit all 3 heads of the tricep pretty equally.

Hope i could help in some way! RC

cool, thanks for the advice

ya, at my gym we have a weight belt, though at this point for chins i use it only when i'm working in the 5 or under rep range...i'm around 200 lbs, so body weight at 3 x 8 is challenging enough

as for the dips, i've never found them to be straining on my shoulders..in fact, i've sworn by this exercise..it added significant mass and strength to my triceps..but i'll try the parallel dips...i actually do those in one of my programs, but i keep my elbows out and im using it as primarily chest workout...so, by locking in my elbows, do you mean keep them straight? because i read that keeping them in hits the triceps more..i assume that's what you mean

i keep my elbows out and im using it as primarily chest workout...so, by locking in my elbows, do you mean keep them straight? because i read that keeping them in hits the triceps more..i assume that's what you mean

What I mean is, do not straighten your arm completely at the top of the movement. i.e locking out the elbow joint, this takes the tension off the triceps which we want to keep constant

you can keep your elbows tucked in if you feel it works your triceps more but i personally feel that the degree of forward lean dictates whether the stress is on the chest or triceps, perform them in the manner most comfortable i guess.

RC :)

I honestly don't think it's going to make a huge difference either way for the duration of this program, exercise remaining the same or not. Over the long term I would probably change it at some point though.

There is some difference between the movements based on arm position because the long head of your triceps crosses at the shoulder joint. Therefore, depending on arm position it is able to contribute differently. In the overheard position it can contribute most effectively.

Back