"Dude, it's 'only a theory" and other stupid comments

"Dude, it's 'only a theory" and other stupid comments

This vid called "Skewed Views of Science" will be the best few minutes any non-scientist can spend. For example, most people don't actually know what the term "theory" actually means in science. You will hear someone say "Well X is 'only' a theory" and dismiss it. All that tells us is the person is totally ignorant of the most basic science terms and how the scientific method works in a general sense. This vid is for non-scientists who want (need!) to know how science works on a general level, and how combat the current anti science/anti logic/anti critical/anti obejctive thinking that is so common today.

There are some people out there who need to be tied to a chair and have their eyelids glued open and forced to watch this vid, but I wont go there...of course some will not be smart enough to realize this vid covers them; you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think!
    - Will @ BrinkZone

The No#1 Science Based Performance, Fitness, and Bodybuilding Resource on the 'net....

Rep Points

nicely done
    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

primeau

Rep Points

soooo....its still a theory and not a law. Meaning its supported by strong evidence, but its not a fact.

I fail to see how the public misinterprets the word still? Are we to accept all scientific theories as fact?

and whats wrong with some one questioning with "how do you know that"? It could fortify a theory and forces the author of the theory to strengthen the argument.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Dude it's only a Hyperthesis.....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lnvanry View Post
    soooo....its still a theory and not a law. Meaning its supported by strong evidence, but its not a fact.

I fail to see how the public misinterprets the word still? Are we to accept all scientific theories as fact?

and whats wrong with some one questioning with "how do you know that"? It could fortify a theory and forces the author of the theory to strengthen the argument.
    Ever hear of the theory of relativity? Tons of crazy science is based off of it, yet it's still not a law. Just because something isn't called a law doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of proven research behind it.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There are very few "ultimate laws" of the universe. Even now we are finding some of our "ultimate" laws are not as ultimate as once thought.

So much of physics is based on theory. Theory put into practice works, our scientific technology proves that. To truly understand something inside and out is near impossible. Actually, I'd say impossible, but it becomes subjective opinion when things turn into metaphysical interpretation.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    Ever hear of the theory of relativity? Tons of crazy science is based off of it, yet it's still not a law. Just because something isn't called a law doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of proven research behind it.

true, most of the general public doesn't even realize the physics community has replaced newtonian gravitational theory with general relativity as the best explanation of gravitational phenomenom. When the public rales against evolutionary theory I tell them there is just as much or more evidence backing that up than the current theory of gravity but you don't hear people raling against general relativity.

Science never claims absolute truth ( unlike religion) . Science produces relative knowledge, that is a kind of knowledge that might be proven wrong ( a valid scientific theory has to be falsifiable and testable. )
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power