FDA seeks better nutrition labeling

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Post FDA seeks better nutrition labeling

FDA seeks better nutrition labeling
    Pursuit of standards comes as foodmakers set up own systems
    Washington Post Staff Writer

The federal government is wading into the supermarket aisle, making its first effort to provide better nutritional information on food products since it developed the black-and-white Nutrition Facts label 15 years ago.

Margaret A. Hamburg, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said Tuesday that shoppers are bombarded by slogans ("Heart Healthy," "Good for You," "A Better Choice") on products and that the government needs to set standards and knock down spurious claims.

"As a mother of two who frequently finds herself racing down the grocery aisle hoping to grab foods that are healthy for my family, I would welcome the day that I can look on the front of packages and see nutrition information I can trust and use," she said. "As the commissioner of FDA, I see it as my responsibility, and the responsibility of this administration, to help make that happen."

Hamburg said consumers often do not have time to scan the Nutrition Facts label, which is required on the back of products. And in recent years, foodmakers have increasingly been putting their own symbols and labels on the front of packages, providing nutrition cheat sheets that are not always accurate, she said.

The FDA grew particularly concerned in late August, when a consortium of major foodmakers, including ConAgra Foods, Kellogg's and Unilever, rolled out their Smart Choices Program. The system, "designed to help shoppers easily identify smarter food and beverage choices," raised eyebrows when the green check-mark label appeared on Cocoa Krispies, Froot Loops and other foods that are not typically noted for their nutritional value.

"There are products that have gotten the check marks that are almost 50 percent sugar," said Hamburg, who sent a letter to industry Tuesday outlining the FDA's intentions. "Products with symbols stating they provide a high percentage of daily vegetable requirements and other nutrients but neglect to mention they represent 80 percent of your daily fat allowance. There are those with zero percent trans fats on the front [label] but don't indicate that they contain very high percentages of saturated fats."

Some retailers have created their own ranking systems.

The result is a "completely chaotic system" in which "food companies have set up their own nutritional criteria for evaluating products and then apply it and then -- guess what? -- lots of their products qualify," said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition at New York University.

Industry labels can mislead shoppers, she said. "Consumers think 'I like the way this product tastes' and 'Oh, good, it's got Vitamin D in it. It's got antioxidants in it. It must be terrific for me. I don't need to give another thought to all the sugar it has.' It gives them an excuse to buy the product. And marketers know this."

Hamburg said one of the reasons the FDA wants to improve nutrition labeling is because the nation is fighting an obesity epidemic. "Two out of every three adults is overweight or obese," she said. "We know people want information that will help them quickly and easily make healthy choices."

She said that the FDA intends to crack down on food companies that are making assertions on the front of their products that suggest they are healthier than they really are and that the agency will create a uniform labeling system by the end of next year. Within three months, the FDA will propose new standards that manufacturers must meet to make a nutritional claim on the front of a product, agency officials said.

Mike Hughes, chairman of the Smart Choices Program, said in a statement that the labeling system was based on federal dietary guidelines and sound nutrition.

"We believe in the science behind the Smart Choices Program," he wrote. "We also look forward to the opportunity to participate in FDA's initiatives on front-of-package labeling. And we note that the Smart Choices Program complies with all U.S. laws and regulations."

source

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes!!
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Gatekepper
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Another way the government supports continued ignorance in place of education through public awareness programs. Why not teach people correct princples and let them govern themselves?
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

How to Use HCG

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate! View Post
    Another way the government supports continued ignorance in place of education through public awareness programs. Why not teach people correct princples and let them govern themselves?
    Cause people are stupid. And the Government is made up of people.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Cause people are stupid. And the Government is made up of people.
    Nice answer. To add to that we are too busy pushing kids through school and teaching to the test, so there is no time to educate anymore. We are teaching kids to memorize for a short period of time just to make it someone elses problem. Plus most teachers are overweight themselves(a small sample statistic i did myself when i have a conference for my preschool son and 4th grade daughter yesterday).
    In an event to teach kids how to read one teacher brought boxed food from home to show the LETTERS and how reading is everywhere. Yea, her boxes included "healthy foods" consisting of: fruit snacks, boxed better crocker au grautin potatoes, sugar based cereal, triscuits, cereal bars, and cheez its. Again, how do we teach healthy when the people who would teach it are not.

To contradict myself i do believe we should at some point attempt to educate people, but who, where, when. Tell a kid Pre high school that sugar is bad, yea that will work. Tell a high school on the verge of independence what food should be eaten and not, peer pressure is a bitch.

I have no problem with the FDA attempting to clean up claims by the companies. At the end of the day it will come down to a person making their own decision but like IAN said, people are stupid.
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.