• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

What do you guys think of Parents of Obese Children?

caseywhitcher

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey all, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

I made the comment (and I stand by it) that parents of obese children should have to answer to Child Protective Services on charges of Child endangerment, or even abuse. With the exception of the less than 1% of children who are obese due to a medical condition.

I get sickened by overweight parents who allow their children to eat as much of whatever they want, and allow them to become overweight. A child cannot be left responsible for chosing their diet!

KC

I agree somewhat with your statement but my concern is there's alot of parents out their who are just as clueless to nutrution as their kids. Kind of like the Blind leading the blind.

I agree, but with all the publication about the obesity rate of americans going through the roof. I don't believe that people can say they don't know any better any longer, maybe a few years ago, but not now.

I just think it's a continuation of peoples already lazy endulgant lifestyle, that they are now forcing onto their children. '

Which do to it's direct immidiate psychological, and physical results, I find criminal.

A lot of people agree with you including the goverment. I've read in a few years, if not already, obese people will have to pay alot more for insurance. When people start having to pay more money I'm sure that will give them a little motivation to get their lazy ass off the couch and hit the gym.

I think that the government already puts their noses into how we raise are children too much, so I would have to disagree based on that.
Also, obesity in children is not cuased by kids eating whatever they want, it's genetic.

Originally posted by bludevil
A lot of people agree with you including the goverment. I've read in a few years, if not already, obese people will have to pay alot more for insurance. When people start having to pay more money I'm sure that will give them a little motivation to get their lazy ass off the couch and hit the gym.

I hope they don???t use the BMI or my 5'11" 215lbs at 9-11% will be obese!:eek:

I agree, parents must make a conscious decision as to their children???s diet. There should be some accountability.

Get the Twinkie out of your mouth, put the game controller down and get some exercise!

Prince, if a fat mom takes her kid to Mcdonalds every day, is that Genetic???

Obesity is NOT (for the most part) genetic,

However, EATING HABITS are Passed on though, and forced on children too young to be able to chose anything else.

Also Obesity in children or in adults reguardless of bodytype is a simple #'s game.

Take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

Burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight.

The actual # of people who are obese do to a medical condition is generally said to be less than 1% of obese people in the USA.

but let's not forget the importance of what kind of calories. a child can be thin and have a terrible diet loaded with sugar and lacking in all nutrients and that (in my opinion) is probably worse than a child who is a bit overweight and got that way eating well balanced meals along the way.

IML Gear Cream!
Prince you can't be serious about that comment regarding obesity and children being genetic?

That accounts for probably a fraction of a percentage. Fat parents are raising fat kids.

Anyone ever see an obese lifetime vegetarian?

Originally posted by Prince

I said in children.

Prince, do you honestly belive that if a child of Fat parents were given up for adoption to a couple that ate nutritionally that the child would become fat anyway???

Unless the child is the less than %1 of people who are obese due to medical reasons. http://www.aacap.org/publications/factsfam/79.htm

Well, all I can say is I have a 10 year old child, and I have been to many school activities. And when I look at the kids I will see maybe 1 out of 30 kids that looks fat, and you can just tell that they are one of those "born to be fat kids".

I guess I just do not see this problem in my area, in fact my 10 year old son does not have one friend that is over weight. What age range are we talking about here?

Childrenshould learn at some point to be accountable for there own actions but the parents should also be a good role model and set a postive environment.

If Obesity is genetic then .....

Why are there less obese children in say Japan as opposed to USA ??

Also, according to this news article i once read. They were seemingly worried about child obesity in Japan and then they compared the figures with junk food consumption and such like

SUPRISE SUPRISE, with the introduction of Macdonalds, etc ... in Japan .........

PEOPLE GOT FATTER !! & OBESITY LEVELS INCREASED

Big coincidence ?

FAST FOOD IS THE DEVIL

coc.jpg

As a parent, I have to disagree with Children Services becoming involved in obesity issues. As it stands, parents are becoming even less involved with their children's lives, not as a fault of there own, but because special interest groups seem to think parents (for most part) are incapable of raising there own children, therefore, taking the parenting out of the home and into the courts/legislature.

As a start, to bust somebody as a bad parent for a "fat" kid, you have to consider these items:

#1. The whole BMI is a crock of shit. I am a classic example of that, as are most of the people on the BBS.
#2. A number of factors have to be considered, including education, financial, and societal influences.
#3. The cost of healthy food, which only businesses/government have a say in changing.
#4. Genetics/physical or medical disabilities.

Much like the sunburn issue that has recently cropped up. It's a touchy issue, that can't be answered simply by saying, "GUILTY!"

As a side note, look at it this way:

What about a child who is secretly anorexic @ age 13? Whose fault? Parents? Peers? Hollywood?

How about the child who lifts weights and is sculpturing his muscles even before he has hit puberty, possibly stunting his growth before he is age 14?

Back