NapsGear.net

Exercise variations.

Rep Points

Exercise variations.

Hi everyone
    I have got a newbie question to ask, if I may. I've seen people saying you need to vary your workout routine to keep the muscles growing or otherwise the body will catch up and you dont get any more results. I wonder whether the addition of weights on the dumbbell/barbell is a good enough incentive for the muscles to grow or do I need to change the whole exercise routine and put in new exercises? (I am doing a full body routine now,with just five total exercises).
    Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Neither - and both. LOL!

You'll need to periodize your training but you'd be amazed at how small of a change can help - something as simple as changing your workout order, your rest intervals or your rep range can do. You can do one workout in straight sets and the next in antagonist pairs. Or vary between unilateral and bilateral work.

No need to completely rebuild every six weeks. Look for p-funk's posts, I believe he wrote something good about this here or perhaps it was on his blog? Also look up Gazhole and cowpimp too - they've both written on periodization here.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Ty for the kind reply sir. I saw Cowpimp's essay on periodization in the stickies (butnot the others, I am trying to sift through the load of results I get upon using the search function.)

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If you're just starting out, just keep doing what you're doing until you start to hit a plateau. Meanwhile, keep reading. Lots of good information on here.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

I am starting out sir, I did start doing workouts sometime back but somehow I didn't keep at it, got sort of discouraged cos of not making any appreciable increase in muscles/strength and I gave it up.(I know, I should have stuck with it *sigh*). So here I am trying to have another go at working out to hopefully lose some weight, I just hope I can keep at it without getting discouraged.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maltesecorsair View Post
    I am starting out sir, I did start doing workouts sometime back but somehow I didn't keep at it, got sort of discouraged cos of not making any appreciable increase in muscles/strength and I gave it up.(I know, I should have stuck with it *sigh*). So here I am trying to have another go at working out to hopefully lose some weight, I just hope I can keep at it without getting discouraged.
    oh come on... I'm sorry but built may have not noticed it but it's MAM not SIR... Built is the AWESOMEST WOMAN not the AWESOMEST MAN
    6'2 - 198 pounds | 20yrs old
    BF% - 12% (9/15/2010)
    Chest- 46" | Biceps- 15.4" | Waist- 32"

Rep Points

Oops! Sorry about that silly mistake. My apologies, ma'am.

Rep Points

Oops! Sorry about that silly mistake. My apologies, ma'am.
    6'2 - 198 pounds | 20yrs old
    BF% - 12% (9/15/2010)
    Chest- 46" | Biceps- 15.4" | Waist- 32"

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

LOL don't worry about it, it happens all the time.

Now, enough talk. We are not here to talk; we are here to PUMP YOU UP!!!

-With apologies to "Hans and Franz"

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    LOL don't worry about it, it happens all the time.

Now, enough talk. We are not here to talk; we are here to PUMP YOU UP!!!

-With apologies to "Hans and Franz"
    Hanz and Franz second only to "WILD AND CRAZY"
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.

Rep Points

Umm how do you people realize that you have hit a plateau? By measuring yourself every couple of months?

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Umm how do you people realize that you have hit a plateau? By measuring yourself every couple of months?
    Depends on your goal. Basically, a plateau is when you stop moving towards that goal.

If your goal is strength, its when you stop getting stronger - i.e. you have a few sessions where you should have been able to increase the weight, but you couldnt.

If your goal is mass gains, a plateau is when you stop putting on weight, or the weight you do put on starts to become largely fat.

Etc etc.

If your program is tailored towards reaching your goal, you will know if you aren't reaching it because you won't improve. Change is a gradual thing throughout the length of a program, not a sudden shift once your program has ended. This is why having a well periodized program, and making comprehensive notes on progress is absolutely key.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Rep Points

Thank you for the reply,sir. I guess I need to have a goal set up which I currently dont actually have. (I do have a vague idea that I want to lose fat but thats about it).I do write down the weights I use and the number of reps I can do with those weights and thankfully I am able to increase the weight or the number of reps every week or so. How do I find out how much of my weight is fat? (I am fat and I do need to reduce it- the way I workout, I must be losing some fat as my total bodyweight has started to decrease but I have no clue as to how much % of fat I have).

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Body Fat Cut Calculator

A bf% calculator from Built's site. These things are good, but only estimate your bodyfat. The only way to know for sure is with a physical measurement.

Thats great that you log your workouts also, its impossible to know where you're going if you don't know where you've been!

If you have trouble setting goals, i wrote an article on that which you should be able to find here:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...ing-goals.html
    http://www.getlifting.info

Rep Points

Ty for the link sir. ummm it requires me to put in the bodyfat percentage which I dont know . (To be honest I think I am all fat). Thank youfor the link to that article too. I am d/l it . Tyvm for your (and others') patience with my nutty noob questions.