Health Benefits. What do you pay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Health Benefits. What do you pay?

My company recently changed our contributions towards health benefits. When I started there 5 years ago they were fully paid for by the company. Every year it would cost more for my company. By the third year we had to contribute. Last year it was about 50$/month for me, my wife and my son. They just informed us today that it is going up to 404$/month for the lowest plan. An HMO. Where you have to get referrels for everything. This really sucks. I'm living off one income right now. Fortunately my wife goes back to work and April and she has pretty good benefits. About 136$/month for family. Thats personal choice also. A single at my company is free BTW. What you guys paying?
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm single so it's free. All I pay for is a 15$ copay when I go see pretty much anyone.

I also pay like 25 cents every 2 weeks for vision coverage, but I hardly think that counts
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Rep Points

75$ per month for the whole family.

primeau

Rep Points

$120/month for me and the wife...United POS Choice Plus. Only had it for a few months and have yet to use it.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Doublebase View Post
    My company recently changed our contributions towards health benefits. When I started there 5 years ago they were fully paid for by the company. Every year it would cost more for my company. By the third year we had to contribute. Last year it was about 50$/month for me, my wife and my son. They just informed us today that it is going up to 404$/month for the lowest plan. An HMO. Where you have to get referrels for everything. This really sucks. I'm living off one income right now. Fortunately my wife goes back to work and April and she has pretty good benefits. About 136$/month for family. Thats personal choice also. A single at my company is free BTW. What you guys paying?
    Doublbase, Am I reading your post, correctly?

Last year: $50

This year: $404

!@#$!@#$%@$#%
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

$134 every 2 weeks for just myself, Preferred Provider can go to any doctor I want never have hassles about I can't get this procedure done or I need to go to this Clinic cause my coverage only covers certain this or that. Doctors love me cause they can actually perform medicine and don't have to worry about what my insurance won't cover.....I've found it to be very handy over the years. I have a co-worker on a cheaper plan and he has to drive from one place to another to another over several days just to get an X-ray and have it analyzed and then get the doctors opinion.... I figure I miss less time at work just by not having to schedule multiple visits for one diagnosis....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I pay $107.45 in each biweekly paycheck for medical and dental. The plans are separate though. Medical covers only myself. Dental covers me and wife.

I did the math: All of my torn ACL expenses that were covered by insurance came to more than I have paid for health insurance since I got my first job out of college (1996). So, I feel I've gotten my money's worth. I estimate I've paid about $19,000 for insurance, and all of the ACL expenses came to $23,000 (doctor visits, all surgery expenses, rehab, etc).

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smoothy View Post
    Doublbase, Am I reading your post, correctly?

Last year: $50

This year: $404

!@#$!@#$%@$#%
    Yes... I feel bad for my co-workers that don't have a spouse that can help with benefits and have kids. They are stuck paying that.
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Part of my taxes :o

"It's not a tooma!"

Rep Points

$50 bucks every two weeks for myself, full dental, medical, life & 401k.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post
    I pay $107.45 in each biweekly paycheck for medical and dental. The plans are separate though. Medical covers only myself. Dental covers me and wife.

I did the math: All of my torn ACL expenses that were covered by insurance came to more than I have paid for health insurance since I got my first job out of college (1996). So, I feel I've gotten my money's worth. I estimate I've paid about $19,000 for insurance, and all of the ACL expenses came to $23,000 (doctor visits, all surgery expenses, rehab, etc).
    Take into account the non-discounted rate at which they charge uninsured, take for example the time I got an MRI and there was a billing error, they sent me a bill for something like $1200.00. After I settled that I got my statement for the month and they had only charged my Insurance provider $480 something....
    Out of pocket you might have had to pay 2 or 3 times as much.....
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes... I feel bad for my co-workers that don't have a spouse that can help with benefits and have kids. They are stuck paying that.
    OK, so, you went from $50 to $404 per month!

That is a problem for those with mortgages, car payments and basic bills.

All this....just in case...you get sick or in a wreck?
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK, so, you went from $50 to $404 per month!

That is a problem for those with mortgages, car payments and basic bills.

All this....just in case...you get sick or in a wreck?
    Yes I know. I just had a baby 6 months ago. Wife is currently not working. I have an SUV payment and mortgage. Thank god I make an ok living. This would def hurt if my wife wasn't going back to work. I don't know how this is ever going to get better. It most likely will get worse. If they want to insure everyone in the country, who is going pay for all that?

On the other hand, they added another 1% to what they are matching in our 401K's. 4%. Not to bad in this economy. My 401K has been rocking too. Up nearly 50% in some of my funds.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Part of my taxes :o

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post

Wait till you get older and need to see the doctor for other illnesses and injuries.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I pay $43.00 every 2 weeks.
    I paid $200.00 a month at my last job.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes I know. I just had a baby 6 months ago. Wife is currently not working. I have an SUV payment and mortgage. Thank god I make an ok living. This would def hurt if my wife wasn't going back to work. I don't know how this is ever going to get better. It most likely will get worse. If they want to insure everyone in the country, who is going pay for all that?

On the other hand, they added another 1% to what they are matching in our 401K's. 4%. Not to bad in this economy. My 401K has been rocking too. Up nearly 50% in some of my funds.
    I thought my company sucked, but 4% match on your 401k, at least my company does 50%...

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    I thought my company sucked, but 4% match on your 401k, at least my company does 50%...
    So if you put in 1000$ each week they give you 500$? That's incredible.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes, but there is a $4000 cap per year....still a very beneficent gesture.... We also have Pre-Paid Legal Aid for $15 a paycheck and Identity Theft Protection for $10.....

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes, but there is a $4000 cap per year....still a very beneficent gesture.... We also have Pre-Paid Legal Aid for $15 a paycheck and Identity Theft Protection for $10.....
    O ok. My company gives up to 2K a year now. Which I max out. You would be stupid not to if you can afford it. Free money

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Why would you think your company sucked? I have never any company matching that much. Normally its just up to 6%. That is the best I have ever heard. That's what my wife gets and she is a teacher.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

being self-employed I am under my wife's insurance policy, I believe it costs around $150/month, however we have an annual deductible of $2500, until that is met we pay 100% out of pocket, so basically it sucks big donkey dick.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

I don't know how this is ever going to get better. It most likely will get worse. If they want to insure everyone in the country, who is going pay for all that?
    Once they make those assholes open up their books for everyone to see by removing that anti-trust exemption, you will find out how not true this is. The profits these guys make is ludicrous, and the means by which they attain them are ridiculous. The change is coming, the gov't is just giving their buddies a few more months to gouge everyone. Reform will pass, probably without a public option or with a stripped-down, opt-in provision for the states. It's just like the credit card change that they gave bankers 9 months to prepare for by raising rates for no logical reason.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I pay $0.

And have no insurance whatesover. It's risky. I won't do this forever.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I pay $0.

Yeah way to risky for me. That's playing with fire. I have a family to care for now.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I pay $0.

that's crazy, if you ended up in the hospital you would be facing some HUGE medical bills.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

as an small company employer I am paying close to half a million a year in health care premiums for my employees ( 35-40 employees). I don't see how other small or medium size busineses can keep affording it. Since I became partner 5 years ago ( and can look at the books) the premiums have increased 78%...
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bandaidwoman View Post
    Since I became partner 5 years ago ( and can look at the books) the premiums have increased 78%...
    I believe it. Used to be free here. Now its over 400$/month!

Rep Points

My company is 100% match up to 6% of my total income pretax, which is pretty awesome. After the 6% I think it goes to a sub 10%, but hell, 6% pretax is pretty damned substantial.

primeau

Rep Points

I pay $0.

yea, I went for a yr w/o insurance after grad school...didn't have any another option other than medicaid.