• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Calisthenics-Matt Furey

maltesecorsair

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi there everyone :hiya:
Ummm, I d/l some e-books and one of them is Matt Furey's "combat conditioning" which-as far as I can understand it-claims that exercises like Squats, Pushups and back bridges gives you more strength,conditioning, endurance,flexibility etc than doing an exercises with weights. Is that true? The book says things like: "These exercises are not bodybuilding exercises designed to get you ripped.Yes,you will stronger and more muscular. Your body will also get leaner.But the primary purpose of these exercises is the development of functional fitness. That means strength, endurance and flexibility.Bodybuilders do not have functional athletic muscles.Their muscles are tight, stiff and cramped and in a combat situation they are the first to get injured. Bodybuilders dont have much for endurance either. And surprise surprise... in most cases, despite their big showy muscles, they aren't very strong. If you want bodybuilder muscles, study bodybuilding. If you want functional fitness, study combat conditioning."
Does this mean that just doing bodyweight exercises trumps over training with weights? That even if I manage to do the weighted workouts until I half-kill myself doing them, all I would get is some showy muscles which doesn't have any real world use/capabilities? I am really confused as to what I should be doing 'cause I do want improvements in strength and endurance, not just looking good. I am confused as to what I should be doing to achieve that. Someone, please do advise me !!

Calisthenics are not the way to go. They're a good substitute for when you cant get a workout in, but stick with weights and good nutrition. Have you ever done weight training before?
Sir? WTF?

Bodybuilders aren't very strong?

You ever met one who isn't?

Juggernaut, sorry about the 'sir', I didn't mean to make you seem old, my apologies. And no I haven't done any kind of weight training for any reasonable period of time, just did a few days sometime ago and now I am trying to start doing it in earnest.
Built, sorry ma'am I didn't mean it as if people here aren't very strong, I was just asking that coz of that e-book saying bodybuilders aren't strong. I take it that you strongly disagree, I personally dont know any body builders so I was just wondering if that e-book was saying the truth.
Thank you for the replies, I guess that book was talking crap.

I believe it is. No worries, you're a newb to the game. Follow anything Built tells you what to do. For starters, read her sig. follow what Gazhole writes as well. He and Built both have very easily digestable reading styles that have a lot of forethought in the way they write.

IML Gear Cream!
Juggernaut, ty for the reply(leaves out the 'sir' :p) Ty for the pointers, I am reading Built's sig and trying to find out my bodyfat %. (I suck at math.)

Built, sorry ma'am I didn't mean it as if people here aren't very strong, I was just asking that coz of that e-book saying bodybuilders aren't strong. I take it that you strongly disagree, I personally dont know any body builders so I was just wondering if that e-book was saying the truth.
Thank you for the replies, I guess that book was talking crap.
I haven't read the book so I'll reserve comment.

I'm a middle aged woman going through menopause and I squatted 205 for a triple last week. I'll leave you to decide if that's strong or not. :)

Listen - decide on what it is that you want for your own physique and fitness goals, post that up and we'll help you find the most direct path.

We will? I mean, yeah we will!!!

Built, I'm still waiting on that RDL video.
I haven't read the book so I'll reserve comment.

I'm a middle aged woman going through menopause and I squatted 205 for a triple last week. I'll leave you to decide if that's strong or not. :)

Listen - decide on what it is that you want for your own physique and fitness goals, post that up and we'll help you find the most direct path.

Juggernaut, I dont go to any gym, I am just doing some workouts at home.
Built, ma'am, I just have a vague idea of what I would like to transform into, I am fat now and I want to lose the fat, get rid of my big tummy, and also get stronger. I now weigh 187 pounds, I used to weigh 209 about a month ago,so I happily lost some weight with my at-home workouts but I fear it's getting harder to lose the weight now- I will have to reduce my food intake further I think. You squat 205 pounds ma'am? *Feels a lot self-conscious as I cant even lift 10% of that.* I dont have a clear cut goal of how I want to look, just feel that losing weight to about 145 pounds would be great. *I fear that is too vague a notion of how I want to look like?* I am 34 now and frankly, I dont have the genetics to build up a body-builder type look. I'd gladly take up any advice you could give me, I would like to workout at home rather than a gym though.

ma'am...sir....come on lighten up!
Please dont take offense to this, but I'm having problems figuring out if you are a girl or guy.
Who said you dont have bber genetics? The very least you'll be able to do is build your body to a threshold you never thought possible; thats quite an accomplishment in itself.

jaugernaut and built
if you both dont mind, please give me some workouts to do so i can transpform my current body into a more built looking athlete. i'm 54.. played semi pro ice hockey, was close to the age division american record in the mile run and currently bike race at the pro 1-2 level. i do train and have since gymnastics at 5 years old.. never stopped , but train to get stronger in my specific sport i was/am playing. please write up a program for me to follow to be a better looking thicker athlete. i will never ever be a bodybuilder, but i'll try to look like one with your workouts
currently, and just about my whole life..6'145#. solid. very solid, fit. super fit, but not bodybuilding looking fit.
i do know a bit about training, but not specific bodybuilding training. i do wat a ton of healthy foods, have since birth,as doing 4-5 hour hard training rides does burn the calories. i know this will have to stop, as my goal is to bulk up..but surley not to get fat. i'll take the slower way to always look fit. i seen so many young guys eat crap, their face and belly explodes in fatness and they just look terrible.i work out at home . i have the equipment, so a program is what i need.
yesterday i started my new way of training, to look better, and i did 4 sets pullups. 3 sets deadlifts. 2 sets dumbell rows, and 2 sets hang cleans. for my back.
thanks for any program you make up

thanks alot

step, read Built's sig. It's a great place to start. Then, after you figure out what your goals are, it seems to me you might be a good fit for her BGB training. I will also add that I dont like bodypart training such as what you put up for back. I've made her routine the goto routine for me, and it has worked wonders on both shoulders and back width. Deads should be first by the way.
Patrick Ward put out a great ebook called Take Charge. It is a great investment in learning time and is a useful resource for me when design programs for my clients.

Ask me any question you want, but I think I speak for several when I say to read a lot, and sift through the bullshit. I'll be more than happy to help you.

did chest and shoulders today
did bench presses... 4 sets
did dips .... on a narrow dip station in my basement. then on a wider dip station in my garage. 3 sets each station.
then shoulder presses... 4 sets
good, or no????
thanks

IML Gear Cream!
truthfully, no. I dont like high volume bodypart training. I think your time would be better served utilizing Built's routine. Sorry.
Also, chest to shoulder training is not an ideal routine.

Mat's a washed out old fart trying to supplement his fixed income with a bunch of overemphasized half truths.

Plan your goals and work with intensity. Don't over think easy shit like this.

Juggernaut, ummm I am a guy, (and I probably use 'sir' and 'ma'am' a lot probably because I was a loner for a long period of my life and I feel kind of awkward when dealing with people.) Thank you for your encouragement, and I guess you are right, I probably can turn my body into a way better shape than it is now,and indeed that would be an accomplishment if I could bring it off.
Hoglander, did you mean 'matt furey',sir? I dont know anything about him, I just got a book of his and I guess you are right, from what you and the others are telling me :)

Back