• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Questions about Primal Living diet, Marksdailyapple.com & Good Calories, Bad Calories

ArnoldsProtege

VandelayIndustries
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been reading a lot of material lately in favor of a primal diet: meat, fish, eggs, green vegetables, wild herbs and spices, fruits and berries, nuts, cutting out almost all refined carbohydrate and sugar. Mark Sisson of Marksdailyapple.com has this outlined thoroughly, and has some pretty good science to back up his diet.

I also am reading Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, which asserts that refined carbohydrate and sugar are the predominant cause of obesity and a myriad of diseases; heart disease, diabetes, etc. and that the fat hypothesis that the majority of people believe, is wrong.

All of this has led me to a diet of predominantly eggs, lean meats, nuts, fruits (though I am not eating very high carb ones just yet) and green veggies. I used to eat 2 slices of whole grain toast and 2 eggs for breakfast; that has since changed to 4 eggs and a few slices of peameal bacon. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks, cutting out the carbs from my meal and replacing it with more lean protein or fats.

I have lost 5 lbs, and am eating MORE then I used to. I feel full of energy and am never bloated, and oddly have been feeling very mentally charged lately. Training has been easier then I anticipiated.I am wondering what other people think of a predominantly fat/protein way of living. The whole concept with "primal living" is to bring your lifestyle back to the paleolithic era- train often, move a lot, eat organic, natural food similar to what our ancestors thousands of years ago ate, and lead an active life. Indulgence is okay, as long as you stay the track for the most part.

Thoughts? Anyone tried before me? With success, failure? I am curious as to what the nutritionists and science minded individuals of this board think, because as of right now, I see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. As a former fatty, nothing has yet to compare to the satiety and results I have gotten from eating "primal".

any one familliar with either the website or the book? or the "primal" diet? or keto diets? any takers?

think of a predominantly fat/protein way of living.

This is certainly a very comfortable way of living. Comprising the majority of your intake with fat and protein is likely more satiating than a carbohydrate-heavy diet.

Feel free to eat this way for as long as you wish.

^Agree.

I love my fats and proteins. So satiating!

Scout, Mark's Daily Apple is a site dedicated to "primal living" and has many, many recipes! I havent even delved into most of them, as I am so smitten by my fat loss from plain chicken, eggs, steak, pork, and green veggies. Soon I am going to actually start making dishes, but the past few weeks its just been

A)turn on bbq
B) grill assorted meat
C) steam green/fibrous vegetable
D) bask in meaty goodness

I feel the best I have in months, am eating a lot, and am losing weight. Its fantastic. I still have my dad and grandfather though telling me to be careful, limit my fat, eat more carbs, careful not to get heart disease, high cholesterol, dont eat so many eggs, etc... these myths are all dispelled in Good Calories,Bad Calories, but it is still hard. A paradigm is a paradigm for a reason, and it takes revolutionary acts to shift it.

I also am experimenting with intermittant fasting, wich takes a lot of willpower, and is definitely hard at first, but it is rewarding. I used to eat bad food because it was the only food available; now though, if I dont have a healthy meal of mainly fats/proteins, I just cant bring myself to eat something like pizza, or fast food, or even foods I once thought were ok. The idea of 60 grams of carbs in a "healthy" sub is no longer appealing to me.

IML Gear Cream!
Jugg, I think he's saying he's had HIS out already.

Have your gallbladder out. A high fat diet ain't so comfortable anymore :(
Damn. That sucks. :(

Thanks for the website and all your help guys. Anyone recommend a fat burner that works as well?

Just get your diet and training worked out. When you hit a stall, you can look into the fatburners. They don't really burn that much fat; the most you can expect to get from any of them is a bit more energy and a bit of appetite suppression. Welcome while cutting, but it won't do it for you. You really need to figure the diet out first.

Jugg - not much, no. They do raise metabolism slightly, but not enough to compensate for overeating.

So then would say that I should spend more time and effort on diet and cardio than worrying about what dosage to use with either compound?

Yup. Ephedrine is a pretty decent appetite suppressant I found, and the energy boost is pretty good for maintaining intensity in the gym.

Since ephedrine is a beta-agonist, it may help to lose some of the "stubborn" lower back/ab fat (or ass fat for women), but it's still no replacement for a caloric deficit. I'd also wait to run the ECA stack until you're at a lower bodyfat imo (10-12%) just because I'd rather have them be at their most effective when it's hardest to lose the fat. If you use it all the way down, I'd think you would build a tolerance and they would become less effective.

I'm bulking now, and feel like a fat fuck, but I'm keeping the fat low, at 15-16%. After the holidays I'll get serious and start cutting for a June contest.

I'm bulking now, and feel like a fat fuck, but I'm keeping the fat low, at 15-16%. After the holidays I'll get serious and start cutting for a June contest.

Sounds like me.

And to the OP man there are lots of books and diets and suggestions out there! I could probably find a few that would say the opposite. What are you going to do when you read something that says something else?

Sounds like me.

And to the OP man there are lots of books and diets and suggestions out there! I could probably find a few that would say the opposite. What are you going to do when you read something that says something else?
Agreed. You pick a methodolgy that suits both your lifestyle, budget and training goals and go with it.

any one familliar with either the website or the book? or the "primal" diet? or keto diets? any takers?

Looks like a waste of money to me. Not sure why I would need to read 4 books to learn how to eat like a Cave Man. Seems pretty straight forward: eat all natural foods, avoid processed foods and refined sugars, keep protein and natural fats high.

Well, considering its two books and not four, and that the current paradigm in medicine is to eat a low fat diet high in carbohydrate and protein (medicine/general public, as fitness minded people tend to look past trends). So no, I would not say it is obvious or straightforward as you presume. With all the ideas out there now that fat is bad, steak is the enemy and butter kills you,while leaving out important statistics and caveats. it takes some time and research to find an optimal way of living and eating, and I still get dirty looks and puzzled faces when I eat just eggs for breakfast and no toast, or two chicken breasts for dinner without adding a carb loaded side.

Also, I was not just referring to those specific books, but the ideas of ketosis, high fat and protein/low carb diets, and other ways of eating that are not the standard. My parents still tell me that I am going to get heart disease and high cholesterol from eating steaks, and eggs, and pork while skipping potatoes and white rice wich they cook most of.

Besides, whats wrong with reading books? Good Calories,Bad Calories is a thorough rebuttal of the current health and diet axioms. It is a scientific analysis of a super important topic, is dealt with in a fair and stimulating way, and happens to be a page turner. You will definitely think differently about medicine and will start to question the origins and validity of some major health ideas out their now (based on objective evidence, of course)

IML Gear Cream!
Easy fella, I'm just expressing my opinions which is what you requested..."I am curious as to what the nutritionists and science minded individuals of this board think"

The website is selling 4 books:

Special Offer - Buy 3, get 4th FREE 3 x $26.99 = $80.97 for 4 books $80.97

There's nothing wrong with reading books and there's nothing wrong with holding onto your money either. I'm always a bit hesitant when someone is touting his or her nutrition program and hawking books and supplements at the same time. If one eats properly there shouldn't be a need for supplements and it's not keeping with his philosophy of the "cave man" diet, as I don’t believe primordial man had access to supplements. Again, these are just my opinions free to spend your money as you see fit.

Last edited:
Supplements just make it easier to get in the right stuff. Cave men also didn't live in cities with grocery stores or factory-farmed chicken. ;)

Easy fella, I'm just expressing my opinions which is what you requested..."I am curious as to what the nutritionists and science minded individuals of this board think"

The website is selling 4 books:

Special Offer - Buy 3, get 4th FREE 3 x $26.99 = $80.97 for 4 books $80.97

There's nothing wrong with reading books and there's nothing wrong with holding onto your money either. I'm always a bit hesitant when someone is touting his or her nutrition program and hawking books and supplements at the same time. If one eats properly there shouldn't be a need for supplements and it's not keeping with his philosophy of the "cave man" diet, as I don???t believe primordial man had access to supplements. Again, these are just my opinions free to spend your money as you see fit.
is there a reason why youre coming off as a dick?

is there a reason why youre coming off as a dick?

Not sure why you feel that way. Sorry if I've offended anyone. I'm just of the opinion that if you buy every new book that comes out about a new diet plan you will soon be parted from your money. I also feel that there are way too many worthless supplements with unproven safety profiles on the market.

Not sure why you feel that way. Sorry if I've offended anyone. I'm just of the opinion that if you buy every new book that comes out about a new diet plan you will soon be parted from your money. I also feel that there are way too many worthless supplements with unproven safety profiles on the market.
I didn't think you were being a dick - the way you just said it was how I read it. Don't worry about jugg, he types faster than he can think sometimes. (jugg, you know I love you... )

There are some good reads out there. But you're wise to do some research of your own, too, if only so you know whose books to read.

I didn't think you were being a dick - the way you just said it was how I read it. Don't worry about jugg, he types faster than he can think sometimes. (jugg, you know I love you... )

There are some good reads out there. But you're wise to do some research of your own, too, if only so you know whose books to read.

Help on my diet, help on my training, and now help on my post; Built, your the best!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I see where you are coming from now, and I agree. A healthy dose of skepticism is vital to any critical analysis. Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is a very well researched and documented work, and is in the same vein as Mark Sissons website and book (about primal living), but Taubes book is by far the better read and worth buying. It is a research book addressing the prevalent paradigms in health and medicine, particularly regarding fat and its correlation (or lack thereof) with heart disease, asserting that it is the sugar and refined carbohydrates that have been the bane of advanced civilizations existences. THAT is one hell of a book, has a bibliography of 100 pages, and has been a work in progress for 4 years.

The primal book, on the other hand, is Mark Sissons pitch for his ideas (wich are based a lot on the ideas that taubes, among others, have been putting forward). I would not buy that book mainly because his website offers so much free content, though I am sure it is very useful,

all of that is sort of off topic, as I am mainly interested in what the fine fitness enthusiasts here think about that kind of diet, as in, a primarily fat/protein, eating steak, eggs and other high fat foods that have been tauted as causing heart disease and a myriad of health issues. This is concerning, as I have my entire familly telling me that I am being stupid, and I shouldnt eat 3-5 eggs every day because of cholesterol, and I shouldnt eat red meat very often, and I have to limit my fat and start eating more carbohydrates. I cannot help but have doubts in my head when I suck down 10 ounces of steak for dinner, fat and all, that I may be doing something negative for my health.

Keep in mind that I still track my macros (wich has become easier since I stopped eating grains) and I am eating below maintenance wich is surprisingly easy with the reduction of refined carb in my diet. I have since lost 8 lbs and am feeling leaner then I have in months... and I have not changed my routine whatsoever, only my diet. For me anyway, as a former fatty, this is how I plan on eating for the rest of my life. Its almost like a dream diet come true: eat lots of meat and fish (love), healthy fats (avocados, almonds and olive oil, oh my) and copious amounts of fruits and veggies, also love, wich can easilly be substituted for my carb intake once I get to where I want to be and maintain.

I just cant help but feel a nagging impulse in the back of my head, from all of the contrary medical ideas out there, and the constant scrutiny of my familly and others when they see me eating a giant steak for dinner with asparagus and nothing else, that I am going to drop dead from a massive heart attack.

I eat a high-fat diet. I am a middle-aged woman who was obese at 38, on Metformin, and contemplating Lipitor. I had struggled with my weight from my early twenties to my late thirties.

Now 46, my cholesterol is enviable, I maintain sub-20% bodyfat year round, and I had steak and eggs for breakfast yesterday.

I eat red meat almost daily, real whipping cream, butter, egg yolks, high-fat cheeses, raw nuts, olive oil and avocados - these are the staple foods of my diet.

I eat almost no grain and very little sugar. Lots of vegetables, some fruit, lots of meat.

Does this help?

Back