• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Tanning Salons Feel The Heat

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!

There???s been talk in the Senate of imposing a tax on elective surgeries. It appears that???s been cut and the focus has shifted to indoor tanning. The Senate???s health care bill is calling for a 10 percent tax on tanning services. A recent New York Times article shared???

Dr. David M. Pariser, the president of the American Academy of Dermatology, said his association proposed that an indoor-tanning tax be considered in place of the cosmetic tax, and that it contacted the offices of senators. ???We made the case this will reduce health care costs by hopefully reducing skin cancer in the future ??? that???s the point ??? and also raise a little revenue now,??? Dr. Pariser said.

The tax is set to take effect in July, 2010.

The NY Times article went on to say, ???any provider of indoor tanning, presumably including gyms that have only a bed or two, must add the 10 percent tax to their services.??? It will be interesting to see how this hits small business owners of tanning salons as well as gym owners with tanning services. Another interesting piece in the article???

Taxing tanning-bed services makes sense to Dr. Darrell S. Rigel, a melanoma researcher and a past president of the American Academy of Dermatology. ???The rates of melanoma are rising among young women, who are the biggest users of tanning beds,??? he said. ???We are seeing melanomas on these women where the sun doesn???t normally shine but where tanning beds shine,??? namely on breasts and pubic areas.

Taxing tanning-bed services makes sense to Dr. Darrell S. Rigel, a melanoma researcher and a past president of the American Academy of Dermatology. “The rates of melanoma are rising among young women, who are the biggest users of tanning beds,” he said. “We are seeing melanomas on these women where the sun doesn’t normally shine but where tanning beds shine,” namely on breasts and pubic areas.

...and of course the Doc knows what's best...

One thing he does know that Congress can't seem to grasp is that taxing an activity reduces said activity thereby rendering it an ever diminishing source of revenue.

So what is the next activity Congress will tax to make up the shortfall?

Also, I wonder where is the quote from a doctor concerning Vitamin D deficiency prevalent among Americans in general these days?

Last edited:
There are a lot of places that have one or two beds. Most gyms have a couple. I know where my wife got her wedding dress they had 2.

...and of course the Doc knows what's best...

One thing he does know that Congress can't seem to grasp is that taxing an activity reduces said activity thereby rendering it an ever diminishing source of revenue.

So what is the next activity Congress will tax to make up the shortfall?

Also, I wonder where is the quote from a doctor concerning Vitamin D deficiency prevalent among Americans in general these days?

:thumb:

why don't we tax food even more since obesity is taxing our health system more so than any other disease process?

also, tax equipment involved in extreme sports such as rock climbing shoes and rope etc. to reduce the burden of accidental injuries incurred with free falls over 100 feet on our health system etc.

why don't we tax food even more since obesity is taxing our health system more so than any other disease process?

also, tax equipment involved in extreme sports such as rock climbing shoes and rope etc. to reduce the burden of accidental injuries incurred with free falls over 100 feet on our health system etc.

That's a good question. The tanning thing is just the beginning. I don't really think people have any idea where this gov't. controlled healthcare is really going. There will be no end to the taxes on risky behavior and food they deem 'unhealthy'.

Smoking is quite the conundrum isn't it? It's extremely detrimental to the public health in mass yet the gov't., both state and now federal, rely heavily on the tax revenue. What are they going to do?

This whole thing is going to be a disaster.

Not that I go enough, but man, I need to cover my junk up.

Putting tax on tanning salon will greatly help the economy there are lots of tanning salon if they collect tax from them it will give them a high profit in that industry

Putting tax on tanning salon will greatly help the economy there are lots of tanning salon if they collect tax from them it will give them a high profit in that industry

Are you saying that the tax will force some salons out of the industry thereby providing the survivors a larger market share?

IML Gear Cream!

I absolutely agree with you because this is also a business. I am just curious what are the reactions in the part who manages tanning salon. I think the price may be affected it because of the implemented 10% tax.

Back