Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Straps are for pussies when it comes to deadlifts, because it is a competition lift, and they are not allowed, so why use them.
    This is so ridiculous Jersey. So many guys talk about checking an ego at the door.. this is just as bad! Firstly, Not too many guys here are doing competative deadlifting.. some are and to that extent, I agree with you, they shouldn't be using straps. But allot of us are deadlifting to increase size and strength and when your weights are limited DRASTICALLY by your forearm strength, well, then Jug is right, don't even bother doing the movement. If I didn't use straps when I deadlift, then I would only be moving 175 pounds instead of 235. So if I routinly lifted 60lbs less than my max weight on deads, how beneficial would those lifts be for me?
    But just for the sake of not being a "pussy" I should make that sacrifice?
    Give me a break. That's like saying someones a sissy for running a marathon while wearing sneakers. Just egotistical B.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    This is so ridiculous Jersey. So many guys talk about checking an ego at the door.. this is just as bad! Firstly, Not too many guys here are doing competative deadlifting.. some are and to that extent, I agree with you, they shouldn't be using straps. But allot of us are deadlifting to increase size and strength and when your weights are limited DRASTICALLY by your forearm strength, well, then Jug is right, don't even bother doing the movement. If I didn't use straps when I deadlift, then I would only be moving 175 pounds instead of 235. So if I routinly lifted 60lbs less than my max weight on deads, how beneficial would those lifts be for me?
    But just for the sake of not being a "pussy" I should make that sacrifice?
    Give me a break. That's like saying someones a sissy for running a marathon while wearing sneakers. Just egotistical B.S.
    If it's not a marathon over broken glass in bare feet then it doesn't even count.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

The stix don't tell you all about ketosis and are only a tool you should be using if you have made a change in the foods you are eating and want to see if it has knocked you out of ketosis.
    The only reason I use the things. There were a few days in weeks past when I had only a trace amount of ketones present....but I lost four pounds the same week.

Secondly, as stated in the write-up, the concentration of ketones will indeed vary in relation to one's water intake. PSMF causes one to void FREQUENTLY, so the stix may not be telling the whole story.

How many grams of carbs are you consuming per day?

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    And I normally used a mixed grip to combat the bar rolling out of my hands.
    I find that adding chalk to a mixed grip permits a heavier weight to be used.

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Straps are for pussies when it comes to deadlifts, because it is a competition lift, and they are not allowed, so why use them.

But when doing BB rows it gets to a point where the forearms give out. Since this is not a forearm movement, imo straps actually allow better back development because you can use heavier weight with good form. If forearm develop is what you want, then wrist curls, and wrist rollers are what you need.

Oh, and btw, I am proud of every callous I have also. I do not own straps, but after this discussion, I think I will get a pair
    if you must get something for the haul, and I dont recommend many things-except my Beyond Nutrition All in 1 for post workout recovery I'd recommend Haulin Hooks. They've served many of my clients well.
    Still, I am raw with both the row and the deadlift.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    the mixed grip has helped especially when I was doing strongman deadlifting. I did a brief stint with strongman lifting last year and loved it. After my competitive bodybuilding days are over-I'm nearing 43 and dont want to wear a banana hammock forever, I plan on moving into strongman.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

IDIOT SAVANT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I've heard the theory that "if you need straps you should work on strengthening your grip". Yeah, there's sound logic in that but, I also think there's logic in not worrying about your grip when you're working your back. About a thousand years ago, at my very strongest ever, I was repping 500 lbs in the deadlift. There was no way I could do that without straps. I tried my ass off to increase my grips strength but just couldn't do it. I decided I wasn't going to sacrifice my back development just for the sake of vanity.

And in rows it's even worse since you're not using an alternating grip. Straps are a NECESSITY for total lat development while rowing......................In my oh so humble opinion.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    The only reason I use the things. There were a few days in weeks past when I had only a trace amount of ketones present....but I lost four pounds the same week.

Secondly, as stated in the write-up, the concentration of ketones will indeed vary in relation to one's water intake. PSMF causes one to void FREQUENTLY, so the stix may not be telling the whole story.

How many grams of carbs are you consuming per day?
    Six tablespoons of natty peanut butter would be 18 grams and 1 scoop of Fiberlyze is 9.5 grams for 27.5 grams of carbs unless I picked up the hi-carb chicken by mistake.

I eyeballed the chicken portions early on, taking in four ounces of breast instead of eight. Fixed that. And I suspect I've been overdoing the pb, so I'm reducing the size of my spoonful from here on out.

Have a metal TBSP measure for my EVOO but measuring the pb was just a pita, so I was eating two heaping teaspoons instead of actually measuring. It's been three weeks of following the keto diet and I'm not seeing what I expected.

Otoh, I'm not sure what I expected. Was 202 with gym clothes and this a.m. I jumped on the scale and was 197 lbs. Probably the exact same weight allowing for the adidas and gym gear.

Last Saturday a.m. I weighed 194.3 on my home digital and so I'll see what this Saturday reveals.

My bladder must be >< size as I've always had issues there. Have a younger brother who would put that character in the one Adam Sandler skit to shame. His bladder must fill his entire lower body.

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

^Add spinach. They list the bag as containing about 6 grams of carbs. I'm eating at most a half bag of baby spinach. Probably more like a third of the bag. for two additional grams of carbs for a total of 29.5 grams of carbs per day.

Ketogenic is a term referring to a ketone based diet, hence the term "in ketosis." This is caused by the consumption of ultra low carbohydrates - under 100 grams per day for sure, but most often I think, under 30-40 grams - in order to force the body into ketosis. Ketosis is the point where there is not enough glucose to fuel the system, particularly the 100 grams or so it takes to fuel the brain, which forces the liver to produce ketones for fuel.

After a period of time, between 1-4 days normally, the brain adapts to using the ketones for fuel. After a longer period of time, between 2 and 4 weeks, the body begins to efficiently use bodyfat for fuel and decreases the use of ketones to fuel the muscles.

From Low-Carb Diet Tips

Okay, so with that information (the 4 weeks part) I don't feel as concerned or ticked off. lol

Patience!

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

For me personally, Peanut Butter is the deal breaker. (I love the stuff) Followed by mixed nuts. It is calorically dense, high in (sometimes not the greatest) fat, has a few carbs and that one or two grams of sugar that will shut Ketosis down (for me anyway).
    I've found that I have to stay at or below 20 grams per day. I have also become dang near obsessive with label reading.....which isn't bad, really, considering how many things/macros we take for granted.

You'll get it, brother!

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    Chalk-friendly gyms are as rare as hen's teeth, unfortunately. Where do you lift?

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    if you must get something for the haul, and I dont recommend many things-except my Beyond Nutrition All in 1 for post workout recovery I'd recommend Haulin Hooks. They've served many of my clients well.
    Still, I am raw with both the row and the deadlift.
    Never heard of either...

Beyond Nutrition

Haulin Hooks Review

Appreciate the info, juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    the mixed grip has helped especially when I was doing strongman deadlifting. I did a brief stint with strongman lifting last year and loved it. After my competitive bodybuilding days are over-I'm nearing 43 and dont want to wear a banana hammock forever, I plan on moving into strongman.
    For some reason I always think everyone else is 20 years old. Glad there are a some over-40 types around.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB View Post
    Straps are a NECESSITY for total lat development while rowing......................In my oh so humble opinion.
    I read through your entire journal. Your opinion is one worth listening to, imo.

In fact, I ordered 1-Andro Rx based on the comments made in your journal. Will be adding the following stack to my daily routine beginning today, April 1, 2010.

1-Andro Rx
    Week 1 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 2 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 3 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 4 – three capsules, three times per day.
    Week 5 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 6 – one capsule, three times per day.

Anabolix-Matix

Week 1-6 - two capsules, two times per day.

Followed by PCT with 6-TRIONE (6-OXO replacement).

6-TRIONE (6-OXO REPLACEMENT) 60 CAPS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

Feedback, suggestions, recommendations, expressions of sincere "Wtf?" are requested. Thanks.

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    For me personally, Peanut Butter is the deal breaker. (I love the stuff) Followed by mixed nuts. It is calorically dense, high in (sometimes not the greatest) fat, has a few carbs and that one or two grams of sugar that will shut Ketosis down (for me anyway).
    I've found that I have to stay at or below 20 grams per day. I have also become dang near obsessive with label reading.....which isn't bad, really, considering how many things/macros we take for granted.

You'll get it, brother!
    Son of a...

I didn't calculate the 1/3 cup of raw cashews.

"On average, a 1.5 ounce serving is equivalent to about 1/3 cup of nuts," according to Maureen Ternus, registered dietitian and nutrition coordinator for the International Tree Nut Council's Nutrition Research & Education Foundation.

And
    a handful equals about 1-ounce, so 1.5 ounces would equal one and a half handfuls.

30 grams of raw cashews contain 9g of carbs, according to carbs in cashews - Bing

Online Conversion offers that 30 grams is about 1 ounce which would put 1.5 ounces around 13.5 grams of carbs. Adding that to the previously noted 29.5 grams of carbs and I'm sitting on 43 grams of carbs per day.

So I would have to shave off 23 grams to meet your level of dedication.

I'm going to stay the course another two weeks at least before making any adjustments, but reducing the amount of cashews and servings of peanut butter would probably be a relatively painless fix.

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Reposting the workout and menu just to keep it in my face.

Weight Training: 3 times a week

Monday: Back/Biceps
    Pull ups (negatives) 3 sets of 5
    Lat Pull Downs 3 sets of 8-10
    One armed dumbbell rows 3 sets of 8-10
    seated rows 3 sets of 8-10
    bicep curls 3 sets of 8-10
    hammer curls 3 sets of 8-10

Wednesday: Chest/Shoulder/Triceps
    Incline DB benches 3 sets of 8-10
    Chest Machine 3 sets of 8-10
    Dip machine 3 sets of 8-10
    Pec deck 3 sets of 8-10
    Seated DB Press 3 sets of 8-10
    Single-arm machine tricep extensions 3 sets of 8-10

Friday: Legs
    Leg press 3 sets of 8-10
    DB lunges 3 sets of 10
    Leg extensions and Leg curls superset 3 sets of 8-10

Cardio for 20 - 60 minutes at end of each workout (Life Fitness treadmill)

Meal Plan:

Meal #1
    5 whole eggs (Omega-3 eggs) with 3 additional egg whites
    Meal #2
    Shake: 45g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)
    Meal #3
    8 oz chicken with one handful cashews
    Meal #4
    Shake: 45g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)
    Meal #5
    8 oz salmon, swordfish, or red meat with a green salad with 2 tablespoon of EVOO
    Meal #6

Shake: 50g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)

Once per week: High calorie, high carb, cheat meal eating whatever I want for one hour (in place of Meal #6)

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

In all fairness, Joe Franco and I own Beyond Nutrition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Chalk-friendly gyms are as rare as hen's teeth, unfortunately. Where do you lift?

Never heard of either...

Beyond Nutrition

Haulin Hooks Review

Appreciate the info, juggernaut.

For some reason I always think everyone else is 20 years old. Glad there are a some over-40 types around.

I read through your entire journal. Your opinion is one worth listening to, imo.

In fact, I ordered 1-Andro Rx based on the comments made in your journal. Will be adding the following stack to my daily routine beginning today, April 1, 2010.

1-Andro Rx
    Week 1 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 2 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 3 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 4 – three capsules, three times per day.
    Week 5 – two capsules, three times per day.
    Week 6 – one capsule, three times per day.

Anabolix-Matix

Week 1-6 - two capsules, two times per day.

Followed by PCT with 6-TRIONE (6-OXO replacement).

6-TRIONE (6-OXO REPLACEMENT) 60 CAPS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

Feedback, suggestions, recommendations, expressions of sincere "Wtf?" are requested. Thanks.

Elite Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Rep Points

Friday, April 2, 2010

Leg press 3 sets of 8-10
    390 X 10, 10, 8
    DB lunges 3 sets of 10
    40's X 10, 10, 10
    Leg extensions and Leg curls superset 3 sets of 8-10