• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Curt James' training journal

^Thank you. That's honestly good to know.

See a lot of loose form, almost standing up and pulling to the belt line. I assume variety or switching things up never hurts, but the strict form is what I saw in those early bbing mags and books.

I'd prefer strict form/lower weight over increased risk for injury any day.

^True. True.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Back/Biceps
Pull ups (negatives) 3 sets of 5
5, 5, 5
Lat Pull Downs 3 sets of 8-10
120 X 10, 10, 10
One armed dumbbell rows 3 sets of 8-10
60 X 8, 8, 8
Seated rows 3 sets of 8-10
120 X 10, 10, 10
Bicep curls 3 sets of 8-10
65 X 12, 12, 12
Hammer curls 3 sets of 8-10
30's X 10, 10, 10
Cardio, Life Fitness 3.5 speed @ 3.5 incline X 20 minutes

I do BB rows like the video, except when I try to use too much weight :). Some bodybuilders are at an incline when rowing. I'm pretty sure Dorian Yates would be at an incline when doing Yates rows.

Do you guys use straps when rowing?

Well, I guess I'm a pussy then cause when the weight gets too heavy, I use straps. Esecially lately for deads. Why should I not use the heavy weight if the only thing not letting me is my grip?
Basically, delay growth of my larger musles for my forearms?
Doesn't make sense.

Purchased a package of Ketostix and the strip says nada. No change. :mad:

And so I Google and find this:

"Lots of newbies panic over ketostix colors or worship ketostix color and allow it to dictate their eating. You can be purple and not lose and beige and be a big loser. Don't let the stix upset you.

The stix don't tell you all about ketosis and are only a tool you should be using if you have made a change in the foods you are eating and want to see if it has knocked you out of ketosis. There are physical indicators of Ketosis you will experience that are much more reliable. The taste in your mouth, smell of your pee, your breath, the loss of appetite, the craving control, and of course the weight and inches lost eating all the food.

Note: If your ketostix do not turn purple despite the fact that you are doing everything correctly, you may still show a decrease in appetite, an improvement in well-being, a loosening of your clothes and a slow but steady weight loss and reduction in inches. This simply means that you are not producing enough ketones to register on the strips but enough to burn fat. Remember, the strips are tools; making them change color is not the sole object of the game. (Taken from page 138 of the DANDR.)

Moreover, in most cases the LTS (lipylosis testing strips) will no longer turn pink or purple once you are taking in 50 or more grams of carbs a day, so they are of no use as people get above that level of carb intake. [DANDR,Lipolysis Testing Strips: Proof Positive,
Chapter 11}

Hint:
Take these things into consideration if you think you are in ketosis but the stix are not showing positive results:

Check the expiration on the bottle to be sure the strips are still good. The seal on a new bottle should not be broken.

Partially used bottles can possibly be defective if they have been stored for any length of time and exposed to moisture or high temperatures.

The color of your ketone testing stix isn't important to your weight loss. All the stix measure is the amount of excess ketones your body created from your fats both dietary and storage left over after you have burned up all the ones you are using for energy at that time.

For both of the following examples all numbers are made up:

You can alter the amount in your urine by drinking more water and eliminating them more frequently in smaller concentration. If you pee 200 ounces of water you will have a lower concentration on your stix then if you pee 50 ounces of water for the same total amount of ketones eliminated from your system. Say 8,000 ketones "peed" out. The 50 ozer would show 160 dark purple and the 200 ozer would show 40 and be moderate. Same ketone total amount but 2 different colors on the stix. For this example stix are measured in ounces of pee not dL

Another is exercise:

Every one in this example eats the same amount of the exact same foods, is in the same metabolic category, and has the same height and weight, and drinks the same amount of water.

Person A is very muscular and produces 10000 Ketones a day from diet and stored fat, burns 10000 in energy expenditure and has 0 excess ketones to pee on those stix hence they never change

Person B works out like crazy and produces 10050 ketones also from diet and stored fats, burns 10000 in energy expenditures and pees out 50 turning the stix light pink.
Person C produces 6000 ketones burns 6000 and has no color change
Person D produces 6000 ketones is an exercise slug and burns 2000 giving her 4000 to pee out making the stix dark purple.

All of them are stix slaves so person A says I'm losing weight but I'm not in ketosis why?

Person B says my stix are only pink and I'm losing weight what am I doing wrong?
Person C says I'm not in ketosis and I'm not losing weight what am I doing wrong?
Person D is doing the whoopee dance and in about 3 weeks will be posting I've been dark purple since day 1 and have stopped losing weight what am I doing wrong?"

Saturday is my weigh-in, so I'll let that be the measuring stick rather than purple on that test strip.

I do BB rows like the video, except when I try to use too much weight :). Some bodybuilders are at an incline when rowing. I'm pretty sure Dorian Yates would be at an incline when doing Yates rows.

Do you guys use straps when rowing?

Straps are for pussies. Bare, raw and brute, if you cant do the weight-fuck it...dont do it.

I'm proud of every callous I have.

No straps although I have a pair. Not rowing right now. Was curious about form, though.

Well, I guess I'm a pussy then cause when the weight gets too heavy, I use straps. Esecially lately for deads. Why should I not use the heavy weight if the only thing not letting me is my grip?
Basically, delay growth of my larger musles for my forearms?
Doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

And I normally used a mixed grip to combat the bar rolling out of my hands.

Straps are for pussies. Bare, raw and brute, if you cant do the weight-fuck it...dont do it.

I'm proud of every callous I have.
Straps are for pussies when it comes to deadlifts, because it is a competition lift, and they are not allowed, so why use them.

But when doing BB rows it gets to a point where the forearms give out. Since this is not a forearm movement, imo straps actually allow better back development because you can use heavier weight with good form. If forearm develop is what you want, then wrist curls, and wrist rollers are what you need.

Oh, and btw, I am proud of every callous I have also. I do not own straps, but after this discussion, I think I will get a pair :)

Last edited:
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chest/Shoulder/Triceps
Incline DB benches 3 sets of 8-10
50's X 10, 10, 9
Chest Machine 3 sets of 8-10
85 X 10, 10, 8
Dip machine 3 sets of 8-10
135 X 6, 7, 6
Pec deck 3 sets of 8-10
115 X 10, 7, 6
Seated DB Press 3 sets of 8-10
30's X 8, 4, 4
Single-arm machine tricep extensions 3 sets of 8-10
40# X 10, 10, 10 (last set, assisted left arm with right hand, reps 7-10)
40# X 10, 10, 30# X 10
Treadmill 3.5 incline 3.5 speed X 10 minutes

Shortchanged myself for time. Rushing to get sets in before 10 p.m. closing time. Maybe 30 seconds rest between sets and only ten minutes cardio.

On the treadmill now.

I like straps because it allows me to use double overhand grip on heavy pulls & shrugs.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chest/Shoulder/Triceps
50's X 10, 10, 9
85 X 10, 10, 8
135 X 6, 7, 6
Pec deck 3 sets of 8-10
115 X 10, 7, 6
30's X 8, 4, 4
40# X 10, 10, 10 (last set, assisted left arm with right hand, reps 7-10)
40# X 10, 10, 30# X 10
Treadmill 3.5 incline 3.5 speed X 10 minutes

Shortchanged myself for time. Rushing to get sets in before 10 p.m. closing time. Maybe 30 seconds rest between sets and only ten minutes cardio.

On the treadmill now.

Good workout! Almost identical routine as I did tonight except for the treadmill.

Straps are for pussies when it comes to deadlifts, because it is a competition lift, and they are not allowed, so why use them.

But when doing BB rows it gets to a point where the forearms give out. Since this is not a forearm movement, imo straps actually allow better back development because you can use heavier weight with good form. If forearm develop is what you want, then wrist curls, and wrist rollers are what you need.

Oh, and btw, I am proud of every callous I have also. I do not own straps, but after this discussion, I think I will get a pair :)

I own straps, but I'm too @#$% stupid to use them. :wits:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Good workout! Almost identical routine as I did tonight

Thank you. It's a nice routine. I've followed it before.

except for the treadmill.

Well, I only got ten minutes in before time was up. I guess I could have walked in circles in the gym parking lot for another ten minutes. :thinking:

Or, yeah, arrived at the gym at a reasonable time.

This is so ridiculous Jersey. So many guys talk about checking an ego at the door.. this is just as bad! Firstly, Not too many guys here are doing competative deadlifting.. some are and to that extent, I agree with you, they shouldn't be using straps. But allot of us are deadlifting to increase size and strength and when your weights are limited DRASTICALLY by your forearm strength, well, then Jug is right, don't even bother doing the movement. If I didn't use straps when I deadlift, then I would only be moving 175 pounds instead of 235. So if I routinly lifted 60lbs less than my max weight on deads, how beneficial would those lifts be for me?
But just for the sake of not being a "pussy" I should make that sacrifice?
Give me a break. That's like saying someones a sissy for running a marathon while wearing sneakers. Just egotistical B.S.

This is so ridiculous Jersey. So many guys talk about checking an ego at the door.. this is just as bad! Firstly, Not too many guys here are doing competative deadlifting.. some are and to that extent, I agree with you, they shouldn't be using straps. But allot of us are deadlifting to increase size and strength and when your weights are limited DRASTICALLY by your forearm strength, well, then Jug is right, don't even bother doing the movement. If I didn't use straps when I deadlift, then I would only be moving 175 pounds instead of 235. So if I routinly lifted 60lbs less than my max weight on deads, how beneficial would those lifts be for me?
But just for the sake of not being a "pussy" I should make that sacrifice?
Give me a break. That's like saying someones a sissy for running a marathon while wearing sneakers. Just egotistical B.S.

If it's not a marathon over broken glass in bare feet then it doesn't even count.

cnorrisTP.jpg

The stix don't tell you all about ketosis and are only a tool you should be using if you have made a change in the foods you are eating and want to see if it has knocked you out of ketosis.

The only reason I use the things. There were a few days in weeks past when I had only a trace amount of ketones present....but I lost four pounds the same week.:shrug:

Secondly, as stated in the write-up, the concentration of ketones will indeed vary in relation to one's water intake. PSMF causes one to void FREQUENTLY, so the stix may not be telling the whole story.

How many grams of carbs are you consuming per day?:thinking:

if you must get something for the haul, and I dont recommend many things-except my Beyond Nutrition All in 1 for post workout recovery :thumb: I'd recommend Haulin Hooks. They've served many of my clients well.
Still, I am raw with both the row and the deadlift.

IML Gear Cream!
I find that adding chalk to a mixed grip permits a heavier weight to be used.
the mixed grip has helped especially when I was doing strongman deadlifting. I did a brief stint with strongman lifting last year and loved it. After my competitive bodybuilding days are over-I'm nearing 43 and dont want to wear a banana hammock forever, I plan on moving into strongman.

I've heard the theory that "if you need straps you should work on strengthening your grip". Yeah, there's sound logic in that but, I also think there's logic in not worrying about your grip when you're working your back. About a thousand years ago, at my very strongest ever, I was repping 500 lbs in the deadlift. There was no way I could do that without straps. I tried my ass off to increase my grips strength but just couldn't do it. I decided I wasn't going to sacrifice my back development just for the sake of vanity.

And in rows it's even worse since you're not using an alternating grip. Straps are a NECESSITY for total lat development while rowing......................In my oh so humble opinion. ;)

The only reason I use the things. There were a few days in weeks past when I had only a trace amount of ketones present....but I lost four pounds the same week.:shrug:

Secondly, as stated in the write-up, the concentration of ketones will indeed vary in relation to one's water intake. PSMF causes one to void FREQUENTLY, so the stix may not be telling the whole story.

How many grams of carbs are you consuming per day?:thinking:

Six tablespoons of natty peanut butter would be 18 grams and 1 scoop of Fiberlyze is 9.5 grams for 27.5 grams of carbs unless I picked up the hi-carb chicken by mistake.

I eyeballed the chicken portions early on, taking in four ounces of breast instead of eight. Fixed that. And I suspect I've been overdoing the pb, so I'm reducing the size of my spoonful from here on out.

Have a metal TBSP measure for my EVOO but measuring the pb was just a pita, so I was eating two heaping teaspoons instead of actually measuring. It's been three weeks of following the keto diet and I'm not seeing what I expected. :geewhiz:

Otoh, I'm not sure what I expected. Was 202 with gym clothes and this a.m. I jumped on the scale and was 197 lbs. Probably the exact same weight allowing for the adidas and gym gear. :mad:

Last Saturday a.m. I weighed 194.3 on my home digital and so I'll see what this Saturday reveals.

My bladder must be >< size as I've always had issues there. Have a younger brother who would put that character in the one Adam Sandler skit to shame. His bladder must fill his entire lower body.

YouTube Video

^Add spinach. They list the bag as containing about 6 grams of carbs. I'm eating at most a half bag of baby spinach. Probably more like a third of the bag. for two additional grams of carbs for a total of 29.5 grams of carbs per day.

Ketogenic is a term referring to a ketone based diet, hence the term "in ketosis." This is caused by the consumption of ultra low carbohydrates - under 100 grams per day for sure, but most often I think, under 30-40 grams - in order to force the body into ketosis. Ketosis is the point where there is not enough glucose to fuel the system, particularly the 100 grams or so it takes to fuel the brain, which forces the liver to produce ketones for fuel.

After a period of time, between 1-4 days normally, the brain adapts to using the ketones for fuel. After a longer period of time, between 2 and 4 weeks, the body begins to efficiently use bodyfat for fuel and decreases the use of ketones to fuel the muscles.

From Low-Carb Diet Tips

Okay, so with that information (the 4 weeks part) I don't feel as concerned or ticked off. lol

Patience!

For me personally, Peanut Butter is the deal breaker. (I love the stuff) Followed by mixed nuts. It is calorically dense, high in (sometimes not the greatest) fat, has a few carbs and that one or two grams of sugar that will shut Ketosis down (for me anyway).
I've found that I have to stay at or below 20 grams per day. I have also become dang near obsessive with label reading.....which isn't bad, really, considering how many things/macros we take for granted.

You'll get it, brother!

I find that adding chalk to a mixed grip permits a heavier weight to be used.

Chalk-friendly gyms are as rare as hen's teeth, unfortunately. Where do you lift?

if you must get something for the haul, and I dont recommend many things-except my Beyond Nutrition All in 1 for post workout recovery :thumb: I'd recommend Haulin Hooks. They've served many of my clients well.
Still, I am raw with both the row and the deadlift.

Never heard of either...

Beyond Nutrition

Haulin Hooks Review

Appreciate the info, juggernaut.

the mixed grip has helped especially when I was doing strongman deadlifting. I did a brief stint with strongman lifting last year and loved it. After my competitive bodybuilding days are over-I'm nearing 43 and dont want to wear a banana hammock forever, I plan on moving into strongman.

For some reason I always think everyone else is 20 years old. Glad there are a some over-40 types around.

Straps are a NECESSITY for total lat development while rowing......................In my oh so humble opinion. ;)

I read through your entire journal. Your opinion is one worth listening to, imo. ;)

In fact, I ordered 1-Andro Rx based on the comments made in your journal. Will be adding the following stack to my daily routine beginning today, April 1, 2010.

1-Andro Rx
Week 1 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 2 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 3 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 4 ??? three capsules, three times per day.
Week 5 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 6 ??? one capsule, three times per day.

Anabolix-Matix

Week 1-6 - two capsules, two times per day.

Followed by PCT with 6-TRIONE (6-OXO replacement).

6-TRIONE (6-OXO REPLACEMENT) 60 CAPS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

imlstack.jpg

Feedback, suggestions, recommendations, expressions of sincere "Wtf?" are requested. Thanks. :nerd:

For me personally, Peanut Butter is the deal breaker. (I love the stuff) Followed by mixed nuts. It is calorically dense, high in (sometimes not the greatest) fat, has a few carbs and that one or two grams of sugar that will shut Ketosis down (for me anyway).
I've found that I have to stay at or below 20 grams per day. I have also become dang near obsessive with label reading.....which isn't bad, really, considering how many things/macros we take for granted.

You'll get it, brother!

Son of a...

I didn't calculate the 1/3 cup of raw cashews.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"On average, a 1.5 ounce serving is equivalent to about 1/3 cup of nuts[/SIZE][/FONT]," according to [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Maureen Ternus, registered dietitian and nutrition coordinator for the International Tree Nut Council's Nutrition Research & Education Foundation.

And [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]a handful equals about 1-ounce, so 1.5 ounces would equal one and a half handfuls.

30 grams of raw cashews contain 9g of carbs, according to carbs in cashews - Bing

Online Conversion offers that 30 grams is about 1 ounce which would put 1.5 ounces around 13.5 grams of carbs. Adding that to the previously noted 29.5 grams of carbs and I'm sitting on 43 grams of carbs per day. :mooh:

So I would have to shave off 23 grams to meet your level of dedication.

I'm going to stay the course another two weeks at least before making any adjustments, but reducing the amount of cashews and servings of peanut butter would probably be a relatively painless fix.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reposting the workout and menu just to keep it in my face.

Weight Training: 3 times a week

Monday: Back/Biceps
Pull ups (negatives) 3 sets of 5
Lat Pull Downs 3 sets of 8-10
One armed dumbbell rows 3 sets of 8-10
seated rows 3 sets of 8-10
bicep curls 3 sets of 8-10
hammer curls 3 sets of 8-10

Wednesday: Chest/Shoulder/Triceps
Pec deck 3 sets of 8-10

Friday: Legs
Leg press 3 sets of 8-10
DB lunges 3 sets of 10
Leg extensions and Leg curls superset 3 sets of 8-10

Cardio for 20 - 60 minutes at end of each workout (Life Fitness treadmill)

Meal Plan:

Meal #1
5 whole eggs (Omega-3 eggs) with 3 additional egg whites
Meal #2
Shake: 45g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)
Meal #3
8 oz chicken with one handful cashews
Meal #4
Shake: 45g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)
Meal #5
8 oz salmon, swordfish, or red meat with a green salad with 2 tablespoon of EVOO
Meal #6

Shake: 50g whey with 1 heaping teaspoon of All Natural PB (no sugar added)

Once per week: High calorie, high carb, cheat meal eating whatever I want for one hour (in place of Meal #6)

In all fairness, Joe Franco and I own Beyond Nutrition. :)
Chalk-friendly gyms are as rare as hen's teeth, unfortunately. Where do you lift?

Never heard of either...

Beyond Nutrition

Haulin Hooks Review

Appreciate the info, juggernaut.

For some reason I always think everyone else is 20 years old. Glad there are a some over-40 types around.

I read through your entire journal. Your opinion is one worth listening to, imo. ;)

In fact, I ordered 1-Andro Rx based on the comments made in your journal. Will be adding the following stack to my daily routine beginning today, April 1, 2010.

1-Andro Rx
Week 1 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 2 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 3 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 4 ??? three capsules, three times per day.
Week 5 ??? two capsules, three times per day.
Week 6 ??? one capsule, three times per day.

Anabolix-Matix

Week 1-6 - two capsules, two times per day.

Followed by PCT with 6-TRIONE (6-OXO replacement).

6-TRIONE (6-OXO REPLACEMENT) 60 CAPS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

imlstack.jpg

Feedback, suggestions, recommendations, expressions of sincere "Wtf?" are requested. Thanks. :nerd:

Friday, April 2, 2010

Leg press 3 sets of 8-10
390 X 10, 10, 8
DB lunges 3 sets of 10
40's X 10, 10, 10
Leg extensions and Leg curls superset 3 sets of 8-10
L.E.
145 X 10, 10, 10
L.C.
135 X 10, 10, 10
20:00 treadmill 3.5 speed 3.5 incline

Back