• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

help Making Gains on Bench

MotivationMonty

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ive just started hitting the gym 2 months ago, its been 4 years since ive touced a weight, prior to then, ive worked out for 5 years where at the time ive always made gains on every body part except for my chest.

Im very experienced on how to work out properly to fit my needs...Full range, amount of reps needed ect... however Ive always had problems making gains on my bench.

So after 2 months of hitting the gym ive made amazingly fast gains(Muscle memory) Except for chest:mad:

2 months ago I started out with the normal 135lbs(60 kilos) and did 2 sets 16reps, 12reps

5 days later after i healed i only made it to 16 reps, then 12..no prob..im getting into it right

now 6 weeks later I am only on 18 reps the first set and 13 the secondand 12 the 3rd..the weight feels lighter but only 2rep, 1 rep gain 2 months later????

Any advice here? My goal is to hit 30 reps of 135

Why do you want to do 30 reps on bench? For the love of god drop those reps somewhere between 3-10 and put some damn iron on the bar.

Why do I want to do 30 reps?

the same reason why you would prefer 3-10...

because that fits what you are looking for in your body :rolleyes:

The way i work out is high rep explosive movements...I want to be strong, and very fast I want to have a thin look but and be fast powerfull at the same time..this is why i want to do 30 reps

but lets just ignore what i just said.

What am i doing wrong for making gains on my chest? I make fast gains on legs(squats) Biceps/tri's, back, stamina

why not my chest?

The way i work out is high rep explosive movements...I want to be strong, and very fast I want to have a thin look but and be fast powerfull at the same time..this is why i want to do 30 reps

but lets just ignore what i just said.

What am i doing wrong for making gains on my chest? I make fast gains on legs(squats) Biceps/tri's, back, stamina

why not my chest?

If you want explosive power start timing your sets within a given rep range and try to beat your times. This is one way to build more 'explosive' power. High reps has nothing to do with being explosive or strong, it's about endurance. This is why you've gained exactly dick in 6 weeks.

That said you do need to mix it up and start upping weights if you want anyone to think of you as being 'strong'.

I'd personally recommend doing timed sets of your 8 rep maximum. This will build power and speed.

As for the reason why you aren't making gains on your chest I'd say that if all you are doing to hit it is flat bench it doesn't surprise me at all. Flat bench isn't all that effective in hitting the chest when compared to DB decline bench or dips - particularly weighted dips.

Beyond that I'd need to know more about what exercises you are doing, how many sets, what reps and what weights.

Since it isn't working for you then try something different. Change up your rep range. Something like this:

Flat Bench 3 sets 10, 8, 6
Inline DB press 3 sets x 8

Doing a higher weight and lower reps will increase your strength and "explosiveness" much more than doing 30 reps of some tiny weight will.

If you want "explosiveness" do cleans, bench press isnt the place to work on "explosiveness" IMO.

The weight you are using is a bit light if you want to get stronger. That is not strength training, that is muscular endurance training.

When you are doing high reps with light weights you are targeting the slow twitch muscle fibers more than the fast twitch fibers. Slow twitch fibers are your endurance fibers because they burn oxygen, fast twitch fibers are your strength fibers that will grow when challenged.
I would be interested to see what you consider gains on your other muscles, especially your bi's and tri's. I am thinking that you may be seeing definition which is a result of the reps.

Why do people ask for help then "roll their eyes" and give a sideways response when given a suggestion, as if they already knew what they wanted to know before asking the question?

Your logic is flawed. As you are seeing from the other replies. Being able to do the "bench movment" 30 times doesn't necessarily equate to explosiveness. How explosive is a marathon runner? Yet he can do the "running movement" way more times than someone else. How explosive is a running back or fighter who reps out 500lb squats? Yet can't do it 30 times?

There will be an area where the law of diminishing returns comes into play. You can be a jack of all trades and a master of none. You can't get but so much "explosive training" by recruiting less muscle fibers via low weight high rep training. And as I said in another post, strenght isn't perpetual. You can't hope to eventually get to repping out 400 lbs for 50 reps. ....especially when you left out half of the equation and felt like not commenting on it which means you really barely have a clue as to your path. That other half of the equation is your nutritional intake. :rolleyes:

IML Gear Cream!
If you want power, train for power - lightish weights, low reps, moderate to high number of sets, and focus on a fast bar velocity.

If you want strength, train for strength - heavy weights, low reps, low sets, and focus on adding weight to the bar.

What you are training for is muscular endurance, which will achieve neither of the above goals because its impossible to maintain explosiveness or high intensity over 30 reps.

And if somebody tries to help you, don't roll your eyes like a smartass. It doesn't make people want to help you any.

Even if the guy really wants to do 135 for 30 times, for whatever nonsensical reason, the best way to do that is not simply lifting 135 over and over.

Look at it this way: one guy has a one repetition maximum of 200 on the bench press, and another guy has a one repetition maximum of 275 on the bench press. Who would you guess can bench press 135 more times? Guaranteed it's the guy moving 275.

It's not until you are bench pressing your talking percentages of 40-50% 1RM or less where this might not hold true. Even then, it's likely the stronger guy has greater absolute, though not necessarily relative, endurance.

Your last response calling me a smartass get one of these... .:rolleyes:

if i felt i was smart..i wouldnt be in the forums asking for advice :rolleyes:

Ill roll my eyes when i want. what i say that to you face? If i feel like your the type of person that will snap and kick the crap out of me... then no..otherwise i will no matter how big you are.

as others replied to me with what they knew, without insult i am not talking about them.

I specifically said i wanted 30 reps, and my first reply was *why do you want 30 reps, for the love of god drop it*

I specifically said i want to do 30 reps.

now as far as my second response..im sorry for the misuse of the word Explosiveness guys...i am looking for muscular endurance...i meant by explosive as in i want to be able to accomplish very fast reps of 30.

I dont want to grow...i am aiming for a thin look basically i want to look kinda skinny with clothes on but be cut and strong..get what im saying? stronger than i look

for whatever nonsensical reason? thats your response to why my goal is 30 reps?

pfft...you guys are jackasses

i said i wanted 30 reps..thats my goal.
im done wasting my time in these forums with you idiots...

i regret even coming to this website

Don't listen to those guys. This is what you need to do. Put 135# on the bar and every week try to bench it 30 times. Sometimes you might only get 18, sometimes only 16 and other times only 12, and after 2 months you might only gain 1 rep, but take my advice and just keep trying.:thumb:

"You call this abuse? You call this abuse you cocksucker? If you can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? If you don't like it, leave. "

Dam dude calm down. You have to be humble to be helped. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Some are just waaaay more efficient, faster, and safer than others. Thats why people are beating around your question. You came back with a smart remark yourself, now you're giving up. People are telling you what to do. Try this, pick a weight you can do for 4 or 5 sets of 8 or so. Your last few reps should be hard. Then do the same with Dumbbells. Do three sets of dips 15 reps. All of these should be done with good form and forceful push with a slower controlled negative phase of at least 1 second. Eat sleep repeat, don't bother trashing or even working your triceps directly. Repeat the next week after ample rest and caloric intake, ahem, then go up five lbs. Repeat, then see where you stand in six weeks by maxing out 135 after a carb load. There, there's one plan. Try it.

On a side note, guys you know that 135 for 30 reps is a bragging mark for young males. It's an ego thing, period. Show me otherwise and I'll eat my hat. So help him out here, he needs it for bragging rights to his buddies. :D

Hi, I'm DaMayor....welcome to IM. :wave:

IML Gear Cream!
Don't listen to those guys. This is what you need to do. Put 135# on the bar and every week try to bench it 30 times. Sometimes you might only get 18, sometimes only 16 and other times only 12, and after 2 months you might only gain 1 rep, but take my advice and just keep trying.:thumb:

Or you can work out in a better way come back to it in 2 months and be able to do it 5-10 more times than last

Chest Growth

It seems to me my man that your problem is that, your genetics may come in to play, also I would increase the weight, cut back the reps, and do a couple more sets ( 4-6 reps ) with about 30-35 more pounds than normal, until you can get this weight up to 10 reps, then repeat the cycle

Or you can work out in a better way come back to it in 2 months and be able to do it 5-10 more times than last

My comment was completely sarcastic because everyone gave him a better approach but he got defensive and did not want to hear that there are better ways to achieve his goals, so I just fecisoulsly recapped his approach like it was the way to go.

Your last response calling me a smartass get one of these... .:rolleyes:

if i felt i was smart..i wouldnt be in the forums asking for advice :rolleyes:

Ill roll my eyes when i want. what i say that to you face? If i feel like your the type of person that will snap and kick the crap out of me... then no..otherwise i will no matter how big you are.

as others replied to me with what they knew, without insult i am not talking about them.

I specifically said i wanted 30 reps, and my first reply was *why do you want 30 reps, for the love of god drop it*

I specifically said i want to do 30 reps.

now as far as my second response..im sorry for the misuse of the word Explosiveness guys...i am looking for muscular endurance...i meant by explosive as in i want to be able to accomplish very fast reps of 30.

I dont want to grow...i am aiming for a thin look basically i want to look kinda skinny with clothes on but be cut and strong..get what im saying? stronger than i look

So you want to be small with great endurance, but strong too? Well, have fun accomplishing adaptations at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. You must realize that by going for both of these goals, you will see some improvement at each end, but far less than if you just picked one specific goal to work on.

Anyway, like I said, you just need to get stronger if you have any hope of lifting 135x30. Also, like I said, that isn't going to happen by lifting 135 and never heavier.

My comment was completely sarcastic because everyone gave him a better approach but he got defensive and did not want to hear that there are better ways to achieve his goals, so I just fecisoulsly recapped his approach like it was the way to go.

Oh haha my bad:doh:.

You were given a bunch of answers up there ^ kid. No sense getting your panties in a bunch.

wow who would want that?

I have never looked at a skinny guy and said "Wow! That guy looks Strong!" I may make a comment that he needs a pizza or two. A 14 inch arm is not impressive no matter how ripped and cut.

Hi, I'm DaMayor.... Welcome to IM! :wave:

Now what was your question? We'd sure love to assist you with your goals!:thumb:

Back