• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Why is this not a compound exercise?

CaptainNapalm

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was just curious why the barbell bench press would be considered a compound exercise and the same press with dumbbells falls under isolation. Essentially, the motion and muscles used is identical so I'm wondering if someone can maybe help me understand that. Reason I ask is because I'm incorporating a "compound" only routine over the next few months yet for some strange reason I can press more with dumbbells than with the bar. I want to go as heavy as possible with my next training program so would I be cheating on the diligence of the program if instead of pressing the bar with weights I pressed heavy dumbbells in the same motion. Thanks in advance!

They're both compound movements...if it requires movement from more than one joint and uses several muscle groups its a compound movement. Who told you it was an isolation?

Well Gaz, no one specifically told me it's isolation but the articles I've read here and other countless ones on the net for compound programs they all specify barbell press as the exercise to do and not one mentions dumbbells so I was just wondering why that was. If you say this is compound then I think I'll mix it up a bit then in my routine and alternate doing dumbbells one day for chest and bar the other. Thanks.

You might be better off getting your questions answered in one running thread instead of starting a new thread with every question that pops up. This way clutter is reduced and in the end you have a complete compilation of answers/ideas in one thread instead of scattered across multiple threads. It also helps others that are answering keep track of questions, responses, etc.

Well Gaz, no one specifically told me it's isolation but the articles I've read here and other countless ones on the net for compound programs they all specify barbell press as the exercise to do and not one mentions dumbbells so I was just wondering why that was. If you say this is compound then I think I'll mix it up a bit then in my routine and alternate doing dumbbells one day for chest and bar the other. Thanks.

They're both bench presses so they're both compound movements. The only difference is what you're holding in your hands. You could be holding cinderblocks in each hand and they'd still be compound movements. ;)

Frequently the barbell bench press is viewed as a 'sexier' exercise than the dumbbell press. It's covered in all the magazines and we all know what the first question everyone asks when they see someone who looks like they lift weights.

As T_man said, one achieves better range of motion with the DBs as well. Also, DB bench presses are nice for those that have shoulder/RC issues.

Both exercises can play a role in an individuals routine.

Articles don't mentioned dumbbells because the majority uses barbells.

There is also an ego thing in addition to commercial gyms offering dumbbells that are limited to only 100 pounds. Hardcore gyms I???ve visited range anywhere from 150 - 250

I???m probably the only person in my gym that only looks at barbells for squatting. Everything else is performed using dumbbells.

Back