• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot

An initiative to legalize marijuana and allow it to be sold and taxed will appear on the November ballot, state election officials announced Wednesday, triggering what will probably be a much-watched campaign that once again puts California on the forefront of the nation's debate over whether to soften drug laws.

The number of valid signatures reported by Los Angeles County, submitted minutes before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline, put the measure well beyond the 433,971 it needed to be certified. Supporters turned in 694,248 signatures, collecting them in every county except Alpine. County election officials estimated that 523,531 were valid.

The measure's main advocate, Richard Lee, an Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, savored the chance to press his case with voters that the state's decades-old ban on marijuana is a failed policy.

"We're one step closer to ending cannabis prohibition and the unjust laws that lock people up for cannabis while alcohol is not only sold openly but advertised on television to kids every day," he said.

Lee, tapping $1.3 million from his businesses, has put together a highly organized campaign that he emphasized Wednesday would be led by a team of experienced political consultants, including Chris Lehane, a veteran operative who has worked in the White House and on presidential campaigns.

"There's all kinds of big professional politicos who are coming on board now to take it to the next level," Lee said.

Opponents have also started to put together their campaign. "There's going to be a very broad coalition opposing this that will include law enforcement," said John Lovell, a Sacramento lobbyist who represents the California Police Chiefs Assn. and other law enforcement groups. "We'll educate people as to what this measure really entails."

The measure, like the medical marijuana initiative, could put California on a collision course with the federal government. The possession and sale of marijuana remain a federal crime.

This month, President Obama's drug czar, R. Gil Kerlikowske, decried legalization in a speech to police chiefs in San Jose.

The initiative would allow adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce for personal use.

Possession of an ounce or less has been a misdemeanor with a $100 fine since 1975, when Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, who was then governor, signed a law that reduced tough marijuana penalties that had allowed judges to impose 10-year sentences.

Legalization supporters note that misdemeanor arrests have risen dramatically in California in the last two decades. The initiative would also allow adults to grow up to 25 square feet of marijuana per residence or parcel.

But the measure, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, goes further, allowing cities and counties to adopt ordinances that would authorize the cultivation, transportation and sale of marijuana, which could be taxed to raise revenue.

Supporters hope this feature will win over voters watching local governments jettison employees and programs in the midst of a severe budget crisis.

Three other marijuana legalization initiatives have been floated this year but are not expected to qualify for the ballot. One failed, one was withdrawn and one remains active.

Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.

Lee countered that the state's experience with medical marijuana shows "the sky didn't fall." He said the measure would allow police to focus on serious crime, undercut Mexican drug cartels and make it harder for teenagers to buy marijuana.

Underscoring the importance the backing of law enforcement will play, Lee's campaign on Wednesday highlighted the support of retired Orange County Superior Court Judge James P. Gray, a former L.A. County deputy sheriff and Torrance police officer.

With polls showing that a slim majority of voters support legalization, the legalization campaign will be trying to appeal to a slice of undecided voters who are mostly mothers. "It's always easier for people to say no than to say yes for an initiative," said Mark Baldassare, the pollster for the Public Policy Institute of California.

Lee hopes to raise as much as $20 million. He will probably be able to tap a handful of wealthy advocates who have supported efforts to relax drug laws, including multibillionaire investor George Soros and George Zimmer, founder of the Men's Wearhouse. Zimmer has donated at least $20,000.

Lovell said he expected to raise less than his opponents but would have enough to get his message out.

'Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.'

Increase by adults maybe but it would make it harder for kids to get , just like alcohol is tough for kids to get these days.. I think it'll make life easier for cops they will have a bunch of stoned out, peaceful people on their hands..

Just what we need. Another substance for people to abuse just like alcohol ultimately leading to unwarranted loss life most likely innocent victims.

Pack your bags honey, We're moving to Cali! :ohyeah:

suitcases.jpg

Decriminalization is about the individual.

Legalization is about collecting Tax $$$$.

Just what we need. Another substance for people to abuse just like alcohol ultimately leading to unwarranted loss life most likely innocent victims.

People already use it. Now the state saves money in court cost, and makes money on the taxes. Everyone wins, oh except for the losers who want to tell people what they can and can't put in their body. Yeah, those people get fucked.

'Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.'

Increase by adults maybe but it would make it harder for kids to get , just like alcohol is tough for kids to get these days.. I think it'll make life easier for cops they will have a bunch of stoned out, peaceful people on their hands..

Unless the Government starts selling weed dirt cheep (which I doubt they will) I bet a lot of kids will still be able to buy it from jo shmo down the street, anytime they please.

Unless the Government starts selling weed dirt cheep (which I doubt they will) I bet a lot of kids will still be able to buy it from jo shmo down the street, anytime they please.

yep getting booze wasn't that hard back in the day..:coffee:

it would be dirt cheap...chronic is Amsterdam was (2005) roughly 30USD for 3.5 grams of dank. In the US it ran 50-60USD for the same.

We have a natural climate for it, and lots of other uses for the it besides recreational smoking. The economies of scale for the US should push the price down to the price of cigarettes. The price plummet would also push organized crime out of the business b/c they simply could beat big agribusiness.

IML Gear Cream!

it would be dirt cheap...chronic is Amsterdam was (2005) roughly 30USD for 3.5 grams of dank. In the US it ran 50-60USD for the same.

We have a natural climate for it, and lots of other uses for the it besides recreational smoking. The economies of scale for the US should push the price down to the price of cigarettes. The price plummet would also push organized crime out of the business b/c they simply could beat big agribusiness.

I cant remember the exact statistics but I had to do an argument where my stance was that all drugs should be legalized. Anyways, digging through the US government stats websites a vast majority of all criminal cases are related to drug use and the most common drug prosecuted was marijuana. A rough estimation going into things like the war on drugs, cost of paying police to prosecute marijuana, prison costs, court costs, and everything else related to the prosecution of marijuana goes in the high billions in California alone... If they legalized it not only would they save these costs but they could tax a majority of it and they would make billions of dollars in revenue. Marijuana has so many medicinal purposes too, if you eat it super healthy.. Its full of antioxidants but than kind of gets cancelled out if you smoke it because of all the carcinogens released from the plant.. My point, legalize it you fools!

Around here you pay 10 a gram for pretty much everything, unless it's some supposedly 'ridiculously awesome' shit. A pack of smokes here is 7 something in most places here. 6.99 if you're lucky. Maines tobacco tax is up to like two dollars and something and there's a bunch of retarded little fucking kids here pushing to get it made even higher to 'discourage underage smoking' like it's going to make a difference. Pretty soon we will be paying 10.00 a pack like all the Canadians

Last edited:
Pretty soon we will be paying 10.00 a pack like all the Canadians

I don't pay that much for cigarettes. Not even close.

People already use it. Now the state saves money in court cost, and makes money on the taxes. Everyone wins, oh except for the losers who want to tell people what they can and can't put in their body. Yeah, those people get fucked.

Everybody wins? Just like they do now because of the repeal of the alcohol prohibition.:geewhiz:

I'm sure you're right regarding increases tax revenues but your obviously a hostile wah..wah..wah..anti-government right wing hippie war protester.:D You sure you're not related to the guy that rammed a car with a child in it the other day because he saw an Obama bumper sticker on it.:thinking:

I don't pay that much for cigarettes. Not even close.

How much n where do u liv? I heard from Vanity that they're very expensive there.

How much n where do u liv? I heard from Vanity that they're very expensive there.

How much do cigarettes cost in Vancouver? I have no idea. I don't smoke. I pay nothing.

IML Gear Cream!

Wait....what?

Yes yes, we all know that the marijuana users are out there gunning people down, robbing old ladies to support their habits, and are going to be the downfall of society... :jerkit:

:haha::haha::haha:

:coffee:

They're gonna tax the shit out of it if the legalize it. don't expect it to be any cheaper than it is now. :coffee:

Excellent point.

As a budding herbalist, I find the legalizing a plant with medicinal properties a good thing.

Of course, if you smoke it, you're a moron.

WTF?? What else you gonna do with it? :geewhiz:

I use a vaporizer, there is no smoke and vaporizing at certain temps yields different outcomes based off the vaporization point of the particular cannabinoids.

Of course, if you smoke it, you're a moron.

WTF?? What else you gonna do with it? :geewhiz:

A tincture, for example.

Or you can make brownies with it. Just remember to mix the pot with the melted butter (let it simmer) before adding it to the rest of the brownie mix.
I really, REALLY don't like the way it feels when ingested. Smoked, it doesn't last as long in my body. The last time I ate it I was stoned for two days and I was TIRED of feeling that way. I'll never do it that way again.

Those vaporizers look interesting!

I really, REALLY don't like the way it feels when ingested. Smoked, it doesn't last as long in my body. The last time I ate it I was stoned for two days and I was TIRED of feeling that way. I'll never do it that way again.

Those vaporizers look interesting!
LoL built

Heres a little tip if ya like to eat the kind bud. As THC is fat soluable its really easy to cook with. Anything that uses vegitable oil (or for built olive oil) works really well. Chop up bud coarsly and add to oil in a small sauce pan put on the stove covered on low heat for 2 1/2-3/ hrs checking often, do NOT let it boil or start to smoke keep the heat low. Stir slowly every 15 min. ( The point is not to cook the bud but to slowly "leech" the THC out. ) Take off heat and let cool. Strain thru a fine strainer or panty hose work well too. Toss the bud its spent now. The oil contains all the THC from your bud. Add it to cake, brownies whatever. No bud smell no bud taste but all the bud kick. Good for taking Lemon cake to work with ya no one will ever know.:thumb: GICH

I know all that hon, I'm old, I've been smoking weed since well before you were born. I do NOT like how it feels when I eat it. It lasts too long. And I think for a living - I won't be taking any with me to work anytime soon - my ADHD is quite bad enough without "assistance" lol -

Thanks though!

Back