Divine Nutrition


Shoulder pain

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Shoulder pain

  1. #1
    Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER
    FMJ's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,600
    Rep Points
    43802543

    Shoulder pain






    I've been getting a sharp pain in my shoulder for the last few weeks and I'm curious if it could be a tear. It's a very specific pain that only happens when I do flat bench presses. Today while training I did Incline presses, Military press, arnold presses and lateral raises and none of them gave me shoulder pain but when I did the flat presses, every rep caused pain. I noticed when I kept my elbows close to my sides while doing the flat presses, it didn't hurt very much at all, but it I put my elbows out at a 90 degree from my body, then it was pretty significant.
    I cannot make it hurt by moving it in any way though. If I stretch it or just move it around in any possible way, there is no pain at all. It's only during weight training and only during flat presses, doesn't matter the weight either. It could be heavy or light weigh. Doesn't matter. Both cause pain.
    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

  2. #2
    Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER
    DaMayor's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Right Here. No, HERE.
    Posts
    7,855
    Rep Points
    76758723

    I would start calling family members as soon as possbile...this doesn't sound good.

    So, are you stretching? and what's your grip width? What kind of bench are you using? Picnic table bench? Park bench?
    I've noticed that if I use too wide of a grip, my shoulders will let me know immediately. This is why I usually don't bother with BB press these days. DB press movements seem to give the option to adjust laterally as required....for me anyway.

  3. #3
    Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER
    FMJ's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,600
    Rep Points
    43802543

    Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    I would start calling family members as soon as possbile...this doesn't sound good.

    So, are you stretching? and what's your grip width? What kind of bench are you using? Picnic table bench? Park bench?
    I've noticed that if I use too wide of a grip, my shoulders will let me know immediately. This is why I usually don't bother with BB press these days. DB press movements seem to give the option to adjust laterally as required....for me anyway.
    Wise ass...

    Yeah, I'm stretching.. plus, as you know, I'm doing the inclines now before the flats so I'm plenty warmed up before getting to them. Grip is kinda wide.. but that's only because my triceps usually fatigue before my chest does so I try to keep the grip further out. Think that could be part of the problem? I would opt for db's but I the heaviest I own are 35's. That wouldn't be good enough even for the high rep depletion work.
    And it's not a picnic or park bench. I prefer piano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

  4. #4
    Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER
    DaMayor's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Right Here. No, HERE.
    Posts
    7,855
    Rep Points
    76758723

    Just from my experience recently, especially in reference to Bench press, (I have only been doing DB presses for a long time) I get a pinching, semi-sharp sort of pain if my grip is too wide. Of course, in my case, this could be because I haven't done bench press in so long. I have found that if I change my hand position, either with DB's or a Hammer~type machine, that it seems to eliminate the problem.
    Yeah, I forgot you're working out at home....hmmm. We'll just have to put a Mason Jar with your picture on it out on the counter for DB donations.

  5. #5
    Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER
    FMJ's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,600
    Rep Points
    43802543

    Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    We'll just have to put a Mason Jar with your picture on it out on the counter for DB donations.
    You never run out of em do you. lol
    I'll try it again with a narrower grip and see if it helps. I do think you may be onto something.. the wide grip is something new I've been doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

  6. #6
    The Original Jackass
    irontime's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    If not here, then on some porn site.
    Posts
    5,292
    Rep Points
    9884476

    Get the same thing if I go heavy with BB, I basically said fuck it as it ruins several days worth of lifting and just stick to dumbells now.


















    .......but it was more serious than just that, the doctor later told me it was anal warts spreading to my shoulder
    If god were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on man, he would kill himself.
    - Alexander Dumas (1802 - 1870)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Prince's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    63,400
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    I've been getting a sharp pain in my shoulder for the last few weeks and I'm curious if it could be a tear. It's a very specific pain that only happens when I do flat bench presses. Today while training I did Incline presses, Military press, arnold presses and lateral raises and none of them gave me shoulder pain but when I did the flat presses, every rep caused pain. I noticed when I kept my elbows close to my sides while doing the flat presses, it didn't hurt very much at all, but it I put my elbows out at a 90 degree from my body, then it was pretty significant.
    I cannot make it hurt by moving it in any way though. If I stretch it or just move it around in any possible way, there is no pain at all. It's only during weight training and only during flat presses, doesn't matter the weight either. It could be heavy or light weigh. Doesn't matter. Both cause pain.
    Thoughts?
    I have the same issues with flat barbell presses, and I just don't do them, except once in awhile on the Smith machine, but I cannot go heavy on them.


    IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15






    IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15



  8. #8
    BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR
    sassy69's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    On the squat rack
    Posts
    2,692
    Rep Points
    765515120

    You may have some bit of tendonitis going on. Do you do rotator warmups?



    I had a bone spur removed, along w/ some arthritis in the AC joint and some frayed tendons cleaned up a year ago. The recovery went well and I competed twice last year. Then I helped a friend move, and managed to jack it really good back in November. I had it x-ray'd in January to make sure I didn't tear anything - was only more inflamation from tendonitis & bursitis. So I got a cortisone shot, took a week off from upper body stuff and have worked my way back to some great new PRs on incline press, but flat bench hurts like a mother. I used to be able to do 90 - 110 lb skull crushers, but now 40-50 lb hurts. I can do everything except flat bench angle. I did the ice thing, spent more time doing a lots of shoulder warm ups and have slowly been working my way back up - starting w/ pushups, decline pushups, but have generally stayed away from 90 degree presses and found other ways to exercise the things I usually do - e.g. instead of skull crushers, I do supersets of rope extensions and more recently able to do weighted dips again.

    Shoulders are weird because there's so many little pieces that come together at that joint and its so easy to tweak one thing and have it propagate to peripheral muscles & tendons that will engage to make up for a pain in part of the shoulder. The imbalances start to show up as pain in the weaker or overworked secondary muscles.

  9. #9
    Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER
    FMJ's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,600
    Rep Points
    43802543

    Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    You may have some bit of tendonitis going on. Do you do rotator warmups?



    I had a bone spur removed, along w/ some arthritis in the AC joint and some frayed tendons cleaned up a year ago. The recovery went well and I competed twice last year. Then I helped a friend move, and managed to jack it really good back in November. I had it x-ray'd in January to make sure I didn't tear anything - was only more inflamation from tendonitis & bursitis. So I got a cortisone shot, took a week off from upper body stuff and have worked my way back to some great new PRs on incline press, but flat bench hurts like a mother. I used to be able to do 90 - 110 lb skull crushers, but now 40-50 lb hurts. I can do everything except flat bench angle. I did the ice thing, spent more time doing a lots of shoulder warm ups and have slowly been working my way back up - starting w/ pushups, decline pushups, but have generally stayed away from 90 degree presses and found other ways to exercise the things I usually do - e.g. instead of skull crushers, I do supersets of rope extensions and more recently able to do weighted dips again.

    Shoulders are weird because there's so many little pieces that come together at that joint and its so easy to tweak one thing and have it propagate to peripheral muscles & tendons that will engage to make up for a pain in part of the shoulder. The imbalances start to show up as pain in the weaker or overworked secondary muscles.

    Hmm, Honestly, I can't say I've ever did those warmups but I will try it for a few weeks and see if it helps. I'd rather not ditch flat presses but certainly not going to continue them if this keeps up. As I mentioned, I've only started doing the wider grip presses in an effort to keep my tri's uninvolved but Spend tri's are better than injured shoulders! lol
    I'll try both a narrower grip preceeded by warmups and hope it helps.
    Incidentally, I also do skulls, low weight, med and high and it doesn't irritate the shoulder either.
    Thanks for the suggestions Sass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

  10. #10
    BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR
    sassy69's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    On the squat rack
    Posts
    2,692
    Rep Points
    765515120

    ^^ Every upper body day I do the following warmup - takes 5-10 minutes and lets you work most every angle of the shoulder just to get the blood flowing.

    In 1 set, all to shoulder height:
    - front raises w/ neutral grip - 10 reps w/ 10 lb db
    - same but angled to 45 degrees from front - 10 reps w/ 10 lb db
    - side raises, pronated grip - 10 reps w/ 10 lb db
    x 3 sets

    Cable inside + outside (elbow to sides, standing upright, rotating towards front + towards back), both arms 20 lb cable setting x 20 reps) x 3 sets

    and then go hit it.

    Frankly I would add these all the time going forward. If you've got the start of some sort of irritation, tthey never really seem to go away fully - so these warmups will work towards always supporting your upper body work & protecting your shoulders. W/ age and wear & tear, you will continue to stress that joint, so making this part of "preventative maintenance" will contribute towards a longer future in lifting and with less pain for greater lifts.

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    england
    Posts
    23
    Rep Points
    10

    I was having the same probs mate and went to the doc and she said its a rotator cuff tear .BB benching is strictly a no no for me now i couldnt even lift the bar but because the angle changes with the db i can go heavy with em just need a spot gettin em up to start.the warm up sassy mentioned with the elbows close to the body really helps me before a workout just wish i had known about it before i got the injury.

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    england
    Posts
    23
    Rep Points
    10






    Also mate take some ibuprofen to stop the inflammation that seems to really help me as i really notice when i forget

Similar Threads

  1. Got Shoulder Pain?
    By Will Brink in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
  2. Shoulder Pain?
    By powerfulcapo in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM
  3. Shoulder Pain
    By rockhardly in forum Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM
  4. shoulder pain
    By riggo in forum General Health & Awareness
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 06:40 AM
  5. Shoulder pain
    By Lost Grizzly in forum Training
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->