• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Raising insulin levels immediately post workout...

N3t5layer

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ive heard alot about taking in nutrients immediately post workout. I have been taking the common protein, strawberries and flax with creatine and glutamine. I dont use the dextrose transport creatine because of the excess sugars..... is it a good idea to consume sugar immediately after workout? If it is, aside from dextrose, does it matter how high on the glycemic index the sugar is or is it better that I get a good insulin spike to transport the nutrients as quick as possible?

It will work for many metabolisms but negates the efforts for some on a "lean bulk" trying to add LBM with as little BF as possible.

We never know how much sugar each individual can comsume and what degree of insulin sensitivity they have. :D

DP

A post workout meal consisting of about 50-100g dex/malto and protein ain't gonna ruin a lean bulk.

Besides, to add muscle you need extra calories.

Extra calories over a long period of time is bound to result in some fat accumulation.

You'll prolly find a post workout meal like that benefical.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but a good post-workout shake is: your protein, about 8oz. of milk, one or two bananas, and about 3 teaspoons of dextrose, you can add more dextrose if you like, then put in a blender and mix together. It almost tastes like a milk shake and is so addicting.

2 bannanas in 8 ounces of milk?

Here is my response to a similar question on another board. Higher Glycemic, the better.
There are a few key reasons. The main ones are that the carbs post-workout should be absorbed quickly to get to the muscles faster. this will cause a greater insulin response which is an anabolic hormone when manipulated properly, and after lifting it is mainly anabolic to muscle and not to fat since the muscles are more sensitive to carbohydrates after a workout due to the upregulation of various enzymes (i believe glut-4). On top of that, the high carbs will quickly blunt the elevated levels of cortisol (which if too high breaks down muscle tissue) that normally rise from lifting, this will allow less muscle loss and more anabolism. Also, potentially, the high carbs can cause greater muscle to be built than w/ out the carbs. The carbs also help transport amino acids in the protein to muscles faster and more efficiently and more of the protein is used towards muscle tissue since there are carbs that are meeting fuel needs rather then protein broken down via gluconeogenesis to meet some of the bodies energy needs.

BTW, the most recent research shows 1-1.5g per kg of bodyweight w/ about 1/3 as much protein is ideal for these benefits. Preworkout protein (about 15 min before lifting), Then post-workout carbs followed w/ a slower protein can probably cause the same benefit as high gi carbs w/ whey isolate or hydrolized protein. (Bcaa's can help as well)

the caesin in milk can hamper the digestion of whey, milk and whey is definelty not the optimum post workout combination.

skim milk or whole milk takes between 90-120 minutes to digest. Another great reason not to consume milk post workout.

Normally my post workout "drink/meal" is a bottle of Blue Thunder. I always forget to write down all the nutrients but I think for the most part it does the job.

When I don't have any at home I'll toss down 2 scoops of Cell-tech and then follow that with in 30 minutes of Protein powder in water w/10g L-Glutamine

I used to drink them all the time PB they aren't to bad, except for the price...

Back