NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Training after eating

Rep Points

Training after eating

How long should you wait? I usually wait about an hour or so.

Also is it bad to wake up and go train on an empty stomach?

Placebo Abuser

Rep Points

I usually wait around hour too if my day goes where I have to eat that close to lifting. I usually plan my lift around my eating schedule so it's right before a meal. And I know cardio is good in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't think it would hurt too much to train on an empty stomach. I would try to get some carbs and protein before. Maybe a protein bar or energy bar before?
    "Train like God is watching"

Rep Points

BC lifter, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I'm in Victoria. Built (one of our moderators) is in Vancouver, too.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    BC lifter, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I'm in Victoria. Built (one of our moderators) is in Vancouver, too.
    Cool man I live in Vic too. Esquimault to be exact. I got a rec pass so Ive been hopping around the rec centre gyms, mainly train at Perkes or the Commonwealth. My pass is expiring soon though and Im looking for a different gym. Where do you train?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BC Lifter View Post
    Cool man I live in Vic too. Esquimault to be exact. I got a rec pass so Ive been hopping around the rec centre gyms, mainly train at Perkes or the Commonwealth. My pass is expiring soon though and Im looking for a different gym. Where do you train?
    Cool, man!

I train at the downtown YMCA. It's 32/month, which is about the best deal you'll find here. Also, we have a lot of serious, experienced athletes, so the level of performance is high. It really helps give you extra motivation.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BC Lifter View Post
    How long should you wait? I usually wait about an hour or so.

Also is it bad to wake up and go train on an empty stomach?
    If you can have a small snack soon after training that would be smart. I've read some posts here lately where it seems the whole "window of opportunity" argument for replenishing carbs after training is overblown. So, I'm not 100% but I feel much better if I eat something small within 30 minutes. Something like a mixture of organic yogurt, quick oats, and whey isolate. However, if you're going to supplement with whey isolate after training just note that fat will slow the absorption process, so aim for a low-fat protein fix.

I've heard there are benefits to training on an empty stomach, but I'm not one for weird diet and training ideas. The way I see it: for me to have a truly intense, healthy workout I need fuel. And so, I never train without food in me.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I like to train 1/2 hour after I eat. I think 20 mins to an hour is good. I like to eat closer to when I'm going to train. I train heavy with low reps. It's a mental thing for me. I feel stronger when I have full stomach. Now if I'm doing HIIT or cardio then I usually eat about an hour before.
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

Rep Points

Sometimes I am eating right before going to gym,lol.

Rep Points

I usually get up and train first thing, so I throw down a protein shake and get going. Any real food takes too long and tends to make me feel a bit sick.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

BC Lifter - if you feel fine to train an hour after eating, go ahead and train. Ideally, training empty ain't so grand, but if you eat a good meal at bedtime, train in the AM and then eat right away afterward, you're fine.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Thanks Built.

DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

you can become a fat-burning machine with fasted AM training . . . BCAAs and caffine to avoid catabolism
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapt'n View Post
    you can become a fat-burning machine with fasted AM training . . . BCAAs and caffine to avoid catabolism
    How can caffeine prevent catabolism? I would think if anything it would accelerate it.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Caffeine mobilizes FFAs. With FFAs to burn for energy the body need not scavenge muscle.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Caffeine mobilizes FFAs. With FFAs to burn for energy the body need not scavenge muscle.
    Good to know.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have more on this in the "daredevils" article linked in my sig.

Please note this won't matter much at all until you are beyond lean - and looking to SHRED.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Rep Points

It depends on what you eat. If I eat light carb rich meals before a workout I'm usually good to train right after the meal but I certainly wouldn't be training for at least a good hour or more if I just pounded back a 12 ounce steak with baked potato. I really don't think it truly makes a world of a difference, it's what you're comfortable with.