• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Thrash metal fans, behold! The glory days have returned!!

Phineas

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
YouTube - Overkill - Ironbound (2010) (Blitz sounds pissed in this one!)

YouTube - Overkill -Bring me the night (that riff screams Diamond Head)

While just about all of the original thrash bands are still around and making music, we all know it's not quite the same thing. I think Slayer's newest album was one of the closest to recapturing the essence of the old days, but even then I think their music was more one-dimensional. I love Seasons in the Abyss because it's more progressive, but a lot of their other stuff is too repetitive.

Megadeth's new album is awesome, but only some of the songs can really be called thrash. Metallica's "Death.." was hailed as the mighty return to a Justice crossed with Black album sound, but it's not really. It's more progressive, and has some thrash elements, but to me comes off as a cheap attempt to please all fans. It's a great album, but lacks true passion and aggression.

Exodus is still making really heavy metal, but I think they've become caught in the muddy, down-tuned sound of modern metal and have lost sight of what they were about.

Testament's newest album was amazing, Nothing bad to say about it, however...

Overkill's new album Ironbound is mind-blowing. I haven't heard an album sound so true to the classic sound since the end of the classic thrash era in the early-90s. The sound is pure, classic thrash, yet doesn't sound re-hashed just to sound "old school". These guys show more aggression and honesty than they did on their original classic 5 albums.

I'm calling this the best thrash album since Dark Angel's "Time Does Not Heal" in 1992.

I can't vote against Exodus' progression, then again I like really heavy stuff too.

Over Kill vocals remind me too much of the dude from Accept, like he is TRYING hard to sound like a badass, that kills it for me. The first songs progression, doesn't even flow, like there are 3 songs just thrown together here. IMHO :shrug: The main riff is almost totally lifted from Exodus as well.

Nothing like being stuck in the late 80s and early 90s! :)

I can't vote against Exodus' progression, then again I like really heavy stuff too.

Over Kill vocals remind me too much of the dude from Accept, like he is TRYING hard to sound like a badass, that kills it for me. The first songs progression, doesn't even flow, like there are 3 songs just thrown together here. IMHO :shrug: The main riff is almost totally lifted from Exodus as well.

Overkill was around when Accept wasn't even famous yet. Also, the song Ironbound flows very similar to many of the most famous metal songs ever. Master of Puppets has the same kind of mellow breakdown in the middle. That's the sign of interesting thrash metal; it takes you by surprise.

Also, what exodus song do you think the riff is a ripoff of? The only similarity I see is in Bring me the night where the riff reminds me of Diamond Head's "The Prince". But, honestly, without getting just plain ludicrous, how many riffs are there left to be invented?

Nothing like being stuck in the late 80s and early 90s! :)

I'd rather be there then stuck with the music now a days.

I think Testament have always been the most consistent. If not in the exact same style, at least in the quality of what they've put out.

What is it with thrash bands been really fucking inconsistent? Slayer seem to have been on a good record/bad record cycle since the dawn of time. Megadeth lost their way for a good few years, lots of bands simply fell off the face of the earth, and to be honest the less said about Anthrax the better.

Can i get a fuck yeah for the Stormtroopers of Death?

YouTube Video

Or even Send More Paramedics? Great band from the UK. Singer was cool as hell, had a beer with him on their tour bus after a Cardiff show once.

First one has an ambient intro, but its fucking worth the wait. The video is hilarious.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

how many riffs are there left to be invented?

I'll dig through to find what its reminding me of, but I hear you and thought the same myself. How many ways are there of doing metal before its going to be accused of thievery somewhere? This is probably part of the reason it got old for a lot of people, and whatever still had guitar in it, evolved into other things.

I still prefer metal for the gym, but I also happen to love techno quite a bit lately, an odd combo (except for Fear Factory fans maybe).

I'd rather be there then stuck with the music now a days.

Me too, those were some great times. In high school it was all about discovering these new kinds of music, hearing Sepultura for the first time (Beneath The Remains) was a huge fucking eye opener, I was instantly hooked on anything heavier than Metallica. Nothing like discovering something "new" and fucking great.

I think Testament have always been the most consistent. If not in the exact same style, at least in the quality of what they've put out.

What is it with thrash bands been really fucking inconsistent? Slayer seem to have been on a good record/bad record cycle since the dawn of time. Megadeth lost their way for a good few years, lots of bands simply fell off the face of the earth, and to be honest the less said about Anthrax the better.

The Ritual pretty much caused the breakup to start with them, Alex and Louie, and I for one didn't really like it even though that ballad got played to shit and back on MTV. I'm glad Alex is back, but I also was glad they grew some fucking balls after things were temporarily getting soft as shit (thank you James Murphy and Chuck Billy!).

Megadeth still makes SOME good music, Dave apologized eventually and said he was sorry for not having it like he used to - but seriously writing has to get hard eventually. After all, IMO Metallica's first 5 albums were fucking GREAT despite growing in new directions each time, but now its just shit (sorry peeps). Anthrax I still like, yep.

SOD also great!

The Ritual pretty much caused the breakup to start with them, Alex and Louie, and I for one didn't really like it even though that ballad got played to shit and back on MTV. I'm glad Alex is back, but I also was glad they grew some fucking balls after things were temporarily getting soft as shit (thank you James Murphy and Chuck Billy!).

Megadeth still makes SOME good music, Dave apologized eventually and said he was sorry for not having it like he used to - but seriously writing has to get hard eventually. After all, IMO Metallica's first 5 albums were fucking GREAT despite growing in new directions each time, but now its just shit (sorry peeps). Anthrax I still like, yep.

SOD also great!

Totally agree about Metallica. The new album sounds good on first listen, but sitting here now i can't remember one riff off the top of my head. I think about their 80's albums and boom, a million riffs all at once!

After after this long listening to them, i still can't decide who i like better - Metallica or Megadeth. At least Mustaine is writing good music NOW, i guess, haha.

IML Gear Cream!
Okay guys, how about a list of the definitive Thrash Metal albums? This thread has made me wanna headbang again.

By number of albums that are great I'd have to go with Metallica, but by best album I'd totally have to go Rust in Peace - Megadeth. Pure genius from beginning to end, even the arrangement. Peace Sells, Whos Buying? is also great IMO, even though it was not the better lineup.

For Testament I'd have to go Souls of Black, although most prefer Practice What You Preach - also great.

Sepultura, Schizophrenia - not as polished as later works but for me, best thrash of their albums.

Slayer, Reign In Blood.

Metallica for me, probably Kill em All - not the most talent or polish, but most enjoyable for me, even with some "lifted riffs."

Exodus, either Pleasures of the Flesh or Fabulous Disaster, tough call for me... by favorite song probably Chemikill.

I'll have to continue later, back to work...

Just saw Overkill a few weeks ago! Yes there new stuff is very respectable!

If you want to take a blast from the past or catch up on some missed years check out this podcast...these guys a definitely cut from the same cloth and put on a great music/talk show.... the past few weeks they have been doing a series on the top 10 most influential metal years. '85 and '87 is all about thrash!

Requiem Metal Podcast

Man I'm gonna do a Candlemass, Saint Vitus style metal revival band....

I might have to get that new overkill album along with the new Kalmah album. Im usually Kalmah and iron maiden all the way....

YouTube Video

Back