• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Protein bars vs Protein Shakes

CaptainNapalm

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What is your take on protein bars as an alternative to protein shakes. I would really prefer to supplement with these rather than weigh protein powder since it's more convenient and the bars don't taste as sweet which I can't stand in your typical weigh protein shake. I've heard some people trash talking protein bars claiming that most of them are not of good quality. Any thoughts?

Protein bars tend to have more shit in them to hold the stuff together as a bar - so I'd go w/ protein shake - you can mix it w/ whatever and control where the calories are going. E.g. mix w/ water vs milk, add in natty PB, etc.

Hey Sassy,

Are there any bars that you would recommend, or even meal supplement bars for when your stuck on the go?

most protein bars are either candy bars with protein, or sugar alcohol bars with protein. there are a few that are good with a decent profile, zero impact bars being one of the most widely available.

Protein bars tend to have more shit in them to hold the stuff together as a bar - so I'd go w/ protein shake - you can mix it w/ whatever and control where the calories are going. E.g. mix w/ water vs milk, add in natty PB, etc.

Agree 100% with sassy,most of the time even my shakes are just water and isolate protein to avoid unnecessary cals!

Hey Sassy,

Are there any bars that you would recommend, or even meal supplement bars for when your stuck on the go?

If I'm absolutely stuck I'll carry Pure Protein. An example of when I'd carry them is when I have to fly. Along w/ a bag of almonds and some protein pancakes. And the primary reason I carry them is that I can't bring PB on the plane. My fav mobile food is protein mix + PB + water in a pudding.

Otherwise I don't like protein bars too much - they work, but they sit in my stomach like a ton of bricks later.

I love protien bars, but protien shakes are the only way your gonna get 100% of the protien you put in because as a liquid they go straight into you body where as bars have to be broken down

I love protien bars, but protien shakes are the only way your gonna get 100% of the protien you put in because as a liquid they go straight into you body where as bars have to be broken down

I'm not totally clear what you mean here.. you can get comparable protein from either - its the additional shit that goes into protein bars to keep them in bar form and palatable that makes them less than optimal forms of nutrients.

I agree on the bars, with all the additives it is crazy just read the ingredients panel on it and you will be amazed how big the list is, even from a calorie perspective they have more calories than a candy bar.

If you want protein on the go; a bag of nuts is pretty ideal, I would also agree with making your own snack with protein mixed with it for example protein pancakes or muffins.

Beef/turkey Jerky is another option, though you need to watch the sodium here. And finally, good old fashion cheese sticks which has calcium, protein and taste awesome.

IML Gear Cream!
I don't even think it is fair to compare them. Protein bars on average have 1,000 ingredients. The only times I ever eat protein bars are for times where I don't have a blender/shaker bottle, and that's only on vacations. The ones I get (met-rx big 100) are pretty good tasting, but not as easy on the stomach as I'd like. I've found this to be true of all the bars I've tried.

When it comes to bars, I'm just not a fan.

Last edited:
big difference - protein bars are usually loaded with carbs man.

if you want protein, stick to shakes.

big difference - protein bars are usually loaded with carbs, including lots of sugar, man.

If you want protein, stick to shakes.

^<b><u>^

Bars all the way.i make my own and have a recipie that is amazing! No filler other than oats and peanut butter. On and there topped with melted chocolate but you could leave that part off if you want to.

Natural quest bars are OK. Still have sugar alcohols but they're lower in cals than most and have lots of fibre.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Protein bars have way too many carbs in them protein powder has next to none. Although a protein bar will fill you up more, a whey shake is much healthier.

Some of these protein bars are like having a whey shake and a snickers together. I would rather have the whey shake and a snickers personally lol

IML Gear Cream!
Sometimes protein bars are useful, because they are far more convenient than shakes. I do quite a bit of hiking, overnight backpacking, camping etc... protein bars are perfect for these types of activities. Otherwise I go with shakes.

Some of these protein bars are like having a whey shake and a snickers together. I would rather have the whey shake and a snickers personally lol

Thats true thats why I stay away from protein bars.

Sometimes protein bars are useful, because they are far more convenient than shakes. I do quite a bit of hiking, overnight backpacking, camping etc... protein bars are perfect for these types of activities. Otherwise I go with shakes.

As meal replacement and specific situations like that they make sense. Especially clif bars. Those fuckers are DELICIOUS

the perfect snack is whey powder with oats
period

The only benefit to store bought protien bars is they are convenient to carry around when you need one...So if you need to carry bars around in a pack or car to eat go for it...But protien powders are much better quality and much better for absorption rate.

Back