Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

RFL - UD2 Transition

Rep Points

RFL - UD2 Transition

Hey y'all,

I have had some great success on the Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle MacDonald. A few weeks ago I started on RFL, and lost 10lbs in a little less than 2 weeks. I ate at maintenance for a week, and just started another RFL cycle as a category 2 dieter three days ago (believing that I was still over 15% bodyfat).

Well, I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon when I checked my bodyfat (with calipers), and came out at 13.7%. What this means, according to RFL, is that I am now a Category I dieter, and thus should have no free meals or refeeds until the end of the 12 day cycle.

This is a problem, since I will be traveling and meeting the inlaws over Memorial Day weekend, and it is near impossible to avoid carbs over the family meals without causing a ruckus.

As I see it, I have the following options:

(1) Stay on RFL as a category 2 dieter (even though Im at 13.6% bf)

(2) Switch to RFL as a category 1 dieter, but end the diet after 10 days and go into an intense carb up over memorial day.

(3) switch to UD2

So what do you all think is best for continuing to cut? Im leaning towards options 2 or 3...
    Stats: 6"3, 210lbs, ?? bodyfat (@ 14-15%?), currently on a miserable RFL cut (until the last week of March)

Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by 33sun33 View Post
    Hey y'all,

I have had some great success on the Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle MacDonald. A few weeks ago I started on RFL, and lost 10lbs in a little less than 2 weeks. I ate at maintenance for a week, and just started another RFL cycle as a category 2 dieter three days ago (believing that I was still over 15% bodyfat).

Well, I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon when I checked my bodyfat (with calipers), and came out at 13.7%. What this means, according to RFL, is that I am now a Category I dieter, and thus should have no free meals or refeeds until the end of the 12 day cycle.

This is a problem, since I will be traveling and meeting the inlaws over Memorial Day weekend, and it is near impossible to avoid carbs over the family meals without causing a ruckus.

As I see it, I have the following options:

(1) Stay on RFL as a category 2 dieter (even though Im at 13.6% bf)

(2) Switch to RFL as a category 1 dieter, but end the diet after 10 days and go into an intense carb up over memorial day.

(3) switch to UD2

So what do you all think is best for continuing to cut? Im leaning towards options 2 or 3...

Personally, I would do one of two things... I would switch to a standard 500 calorie deficit diet for a few weeks (until you're past the family visit) or switch over to UD2. If you're BF is accurate and you're indeed at 13.6% I think RFL is overkill. But thats just my opinion. Damayor, Juggernaut, these guys are on RFL right now. They could probably chime in with a better opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cause a ruckus. If you're serious about the diet, they'll just have to understand. Odds are they will respect your fortitude.

I would stick with Cat2, and do the refeed as described in the book....don't go crazy with it. Otherwise, and I believe Lyle addressed something similar on his site, if it turns out you cannot follow the diet, don't get too stressed about it. Just get through the holiday and resume the diet afterwards. Think about it. You didn't get fat in a week's time, so a week lost shouldn't mean the end of your dietary world.

Congrats on your progress!

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    Cause a ruckus. If you're serious about the diet, they'll just have to understand. Odds are they will respect your fortitude.

I would stick with Cat2, and do the refeed as described in the book....don't go crazy with it. Otherwise, and I believe Lyle addressed something similar on his site, if it turns out you cannot follow the diet, don't get too stressed about it. Just get through the holiday and resume the diet afterwards. Think about it. You didn't get fat in a week's time, so a week lost shouldn't mean the end of your dietary world.

Congrats on your progress!
    ^ Smart man. Listen to him.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Im skitzophrenic& so am I
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah, I knew DaMayor could advise you better. He is the RFL king right now.
    Question though guys. Isn't there a point when RFL isn't the best choice for someone? For example, 33sun is already at a semi low bodyfat so does that make RFL too extreme a plan to use? Similarly, UD2 isn't recommended for those with too high a BF percentage. So I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Don't you want to be compared to Chuck Norris? Hmm?? Don't you???

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    ^ Smart man. Listen to him.
    Good teachers.....and a little studying.

I can't respond to the UD2.0 angle just yet...haven't read the book.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

33sun, if you're sure on what to do for UD, you could go ahead with that. Otherwise, do RFL with the cheat as mentioned.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Thanks so much everyone!! I have both books, so Ill take your advice and keep on trucking with rfl/cat 2, before eventually moving on to ud2.
    Stats: 6"3, 210lbs, ?? bodyfat (@ 14-15%?), currently on a miserable RFL cut (until the last week of March)