• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Wanting some opinions

Phedder

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Figured it was about time I posted, been reading the forums for a few weeks and I must say there is some fantastic information here, very useful. I'm a 19 year old student at Otago University in Dunedin, New Zealand. I'm studying towards a bachelor of physical education, double majoring in exercise prescription and management and exercise science. I've been training on and off for about 2 years now, and I feel i'm at a point where I should either cut and get back the appearance I want, or bulk for a bit and get some more muscle and strength before getting ripped again. I want to keep up my aerobic fitness/sprinting speed as well, for health and functionality reasons.

I'm 6'1 and currently 86kg or 190lbs, I like the definition I had at 80kg or 175lbs and 8% BF, but I want to add 5kg or so of muscle to that definition. I plan on bulking to about 205lbs then dropping back to my current weight of 190lbs but being around 8% BF at that weight, whereas I'm currently around 13-14% ( Used an impedance machine to test the 8% and i'm just guessing at my current level)

Anyway here's my current regime;
Monday - Gymnastics class for 50mins and dance class for 50mins, Gym can sometimes be like HIIT and dance is usually a mild cardio.

Tuesday- DB chest press 4 sets 8-10 reps
DB incline chest press 3 sets 8-10 reps
DB military press 3 sets 8-10 reps
Chin ups/pull ups 2 sets of each, until failure.
Seated rows 3 sets 8-10 reps
5 minutes or so of Abs

Wednesday- Same as monday

Thursday- Same as Tuesday

Friday - HIIT, I jog 10 min to a field where I sprint the length of a rugby field and then jog around it back to the starting point and sprint the length again. I do this between 6-10 times depending on how I feel and then jog 10 mins back home.

Saturday - Same as Tuesday

Sunday - rest

I like simple routines which is why I do the same resistance training routine 3 times a week, and I don't train legs because I do a lot of walking and I use them a lot in class on Monday and Wednesday, aswell as HIIT friday. I feel my legs are big enough/strong enough and I'd rather use them for running than lifting.

Not sure on what my calorie intake is but it's definately higher than what i'm metabolizing as i've been gaining weight for the last 2 months or so. I'd say I get 45-50% of calories from Protein, 30-35% from Carbs and 20% from fats.
I have a protein shake after exercise every day and I'm going to start on one cycle of Creatine and L-glutamine in the next week or so. Most of my carbs come from Pastas and whole grain multi grain bread. Most of my fats are from cheese and milk, and protein is from eggs and all meats really, poultry, beef, fish.

I know that's a long read and if you've gotten this far I thank you, I figured it's best to get it all up there in one hit to save the usual questions I see from you guys on these types of posts. Just wanting some opinions from you guys of anything you disagree with/would change and also things you think I'm doing right and should keep up with. Thanks =)

You shouldn't neglect legs. If you're training your upper body and not your lower you'll develop severe muscle imbalances and could potentially endure injuries (plus you'll look ridiculous!). Besides, the leg muscles are the largest in the body; why would you not take advantage of the growth hormones released from training them with squats and deadlifts? A program isn't a program without squats and deads. Those two lifts require more muscle, power, and focus than any other.

Also, just to be clear, when you say military press are you talking about in the standing position? I ask because a lot of people post programs with military press but they actually mean shoulder press, which is the seated variation. Military press -- which also includes bringing the DBs/BB down to your shoulders/chest -- is much harder.

I don't do weights with legs because I do sprint interval training, use them a lot in gymnastics, and walk a minimum of 4-5km a day to uni and back. My legs are strong and big enough for my liking, and i'm in no way disproportionate nor will I be training to the point that I would be. I could start each session with 4 sets of leg press I suppose to get some more anabolic benefit, but I always find free weight leg exercises uncomfortable, I know my form won't be great. Yeah I suppose I am doing shoulder press not military press. Do you think the program I posted is a decent overall upper body regime though? Enough push/pull etc, intensity, volume.

sounds like you fuck a lot of sheep . . I hear you kiwi's are into that shit . .

. . anyway enough of your bad habits.

If you want to put on some LBM you cannot neglect working the legs. Squats, Lunges and Deadlifts.

Also I hear Gears certainly help.

I just don't want any soreness that will affect the rest of my daily life. If someone could suggest and exercise with a number of sets and reps to try that shouldn't result in much soreness I'd be more than willing to throw it into my program and give it a go. I've never done legs before and managed to put a solid 10kg of muscle on in the last 2 years, but I take it much of that would be natural growing and initial benefits from being completely untrained.

TheCapt'n, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'gears'? You don't mean supplements do you?

I just don't want any soreness that will affect the rest of my daily life. If someone could suggest an exercise with a number of sets and reps to try that shouldn't result in much soreness I'd be more than willing to throw it into my program and give it a go. I've never done legs before and managed to put a solid 10kg of muscle on in the last 2 years, but I take it much of that would be natural growing and initial benefits from being completely untrained.

TheCapt'n, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'gears'? You don't mean supplements do you?

I just don't want any soreness that will affect the rest of my daily life. If someone could suggest and exercise with a number of sets and reps to try that shouldn't result in much soeness I'd be more than willing to throw it into my program and give it a go. I've never done legs before and managed to put a solid 10kg of muscle on in the last 2 years, but I take it much of that would be natural growing and initial benefits from being completely untrained.

I do four sets of Squats and Deads.
Squats on leg day at 4x10/8/8/6 increasing weight each time. (I am a few inches taller than you ,and squats are a bitch for me.)
I do Romanian Deadlift's on back day a little heavier then I probably should since I don't get to go too heavy on Squats. But I use a hook grip (One palm facing me and one facing away). 4x10/10/8/8. Also adding weight. I rest about 45 Secs to 1 minute between sets. Since you do a full body routine I am not sure of how many sets you should be doing. And I promise you if you lift these correctly and moderately heavy, then you will be sore for a few days after the first couple of times you do these.
I also bounce my ass up and down right before i start a set of deads. < this definitely has some effect.

Last edited:

Gears, my innocent friend, are the route of all evil.

I didn't realize it posted three times, sorry my internet can be terrible sometimes. I don't want to do legs on tuesdays because I have gymnastics the next day, but I'll try starting thursday with some leg presses and saturdays with some deadlifts, does this sound ok?

I didn't realize it posted three times, sorry my internet can be terrible sometimes. I don't want to do legs on tuesdays because I have gymnastics the next day, but I'll try starting thursday with some leg presses and saturdays with some deadlifts, does this sound ok?

Squats < Leg Press

Along with women.

ahaha.

Whats with squat < leg press?
Your implyin leg press is =/< squat? I didnt know that. I suck at squat. I don't think I actually perform a true squat. I cant quite get my legs to a 90 degree angle, definitely can't get my butt to drop..

I suck at squat. I don't think I actually perform a true squat. I cant quite get my legs to a 90 degree angle, definitely can't get my butt to drop..

Start with light weights, practice your form, and increase your flexibility. If you don't have someone that can watch you squat and intelligently comment on your form, use a video camera, upload it to YouTube, and post it here.

You do not want to miss out on squats. I think it's the king of all lifts. It uses heavy weights, it activates the biggest muscles in the body, and it sits on your god damn back.

If you don't do them, you're screwing over your efforts at the gym.

Start with light weights, practice your form, and increase your flexibility. If you don't have someone that can watch you squat and intelligently comment on your form, use a video camera, upload it to YouTube, and post it here.

You do not want to miss out on squats. I think it's the king of all lifts. It uses heavy weights, it activates the biggest muscles in the body, and it sits on your god damn back.

If you don't do them, you're screwing over your efforts at the gym.

Oh I do em, just probably not correctly ,which is probably worse then omitting the lift. Even tho it is chest and tri day, ima record a set of them with moderate weight ( moderate for me is like 185lbs ), and see if i can get some feedback

Say what now?! Squats are less than leg presses?

After looking where Phedder said he was going to do leg press I'm pretty sure king phineas meant Squat > leg press

Say what now?! Squats are less than leg presses?

Doesn't that mean squats are better than leg press? I thought it was the direction that the wide part is facing means greater than that one because it's as though it's eating it?

Well, either way I meant squats are superior to leg press.

Doesn't that mean squats are better than leg press? I thought it was the direction that the wide part is facing means greater than that one because it's as though it's eating it?

Well, either way I meant squats are superior to leg press.

The open end means "greater" and the small end means "lesser."

Good, for a second there you had me worried. You've said all kinds of smart shit, and then tossed out the notation that squats were less than leg presses. A chilling moment.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
The open end means "greater" and the small end means "lesser."

Good, for a second there you had me worried. You've said all kinds of smart shit, and then tossed out the notation that squats were less than leg presses. A chilling moment.

Hahaha, no I'm squats all the way. I've already left 4 girls at the altar to go do some squats!

I don't want to be sore? Come on...

You shouldn't be sore after every workout. Are you sore after every upper body workout.

And yes, squats>leg press

And yes Phineas the alligator mouth EATS the bigger one because he's hungry.

:coffee:

Gotta squat. I squat, and I had double-herniation surgery last year, along with some nerve repair. You want to talk about soreness affecting your daily life? I couldn't tie my own shoes for months...

Nut up and put in the work.

Lifting isn't my life, it's a part of it. Gymnastics is part of my course and I don't want to have decreased performance because I have sore legs. I lift because I enjoy it and it makes parts of life easier and more enjoyable, now if it made some parts of my life more difficult and less enjoyable what's the point in the first place? I've started doing some light leg work to ease my body into it and also improve my form, i'm glad I have started and hopefully i'll see some results, but i'm not going for massive gains in the first place.

MDR, was that double herniation surgery due to weight lifting?

You asked for opinions about your training. If you don't want to squat-don't. But without it there is a huge hole in your training, and in my opinion, a huge flaw. Yes, I was injured in the gym. It happens. I mentioned it because if you want to make progress, you must be willing to make sacrifices. Sounds like you are pretty limited by your mind-set. By the way-I competed in football for four years in college and as a powerlifter for over ten. You can compete in sports and still work hard in the gym. If your not going for real gains, your program sounds perfect.

Lifting isn't my life, it's a part of it. Gymnastics is part of my course and I don't want to have decreased performance because I have sore legs. I lift because I enjoy it and it makes parts of life easier and more enjoyable, now if it made some parts of my life more difficult and less enjoyable what's the point in the first place? I've started doing some light leg work to ease my body into it and also improve my form, i'm glad I have started and hopefully i'll see some results, but i'm not going for massive gains in the first place.

MDR, was that double herniation surgery due to weight lifting?

You won't get massive just from doing squats and/or deadlifts. They're very effiicent exercises, but mass comes from years of dedicated, structured, INTENSE training and -- above all else -- calculated diet.

I agree. Diet is crucial to gaining size and strength. As is years of training and experience. Listening to the advice of the people who have had some degree of success is also very important. The great thing about this sport is there is always more to learn. Nobody approaches their genetic potential without the drive and determination to do so.

Back