Crossfit...

Thread: Crossfit...

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Crossfit...

Im going to the Texas Regionals in Ft Worth this weekend...
    Im hoping to get into crossfit and make it to Regionals and the Games next yr.

Anyone do crossfit?
    www.freesamplesshakes.com code:mb431236

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
    Im going to the Texas Regionals in Ft Worth this weekend...
    Im hoping to get into crossfit and make it to Regionals and the Games next yr.

Anyone do crossfit?
    No, but my friend who is a personal instructor swears by it. He is constantly trying to get me to do it and says it the 'best thing that ever happened to him' lol sad hey. He's just got back from Milan in Italy were he done a long weekend being instructed on how to become a cross fit instructor, did sound amazing and really tough what he had to do whilst over there.
    All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/on...journal-4.html

Rep Points

its a little bit cult-like for my tastes.

but its that "cult-like" atmosphere that motivates a lot of people to get in shape and stick with it. so if it helps reduce obesity a little bit, then so be it.

my problem though is that they are TOTALLY against supplements. But then they partner with Progenex for their overpriced hydrolysates.

Placebo Abuser

Rep Points

I am going to start a crossfit routine soon. After I sit down tomorrow and read all the information on it and talk to some ppl about it. I wil summarize what all I find out and tell you what I am going to do.
    "Train like God is watching"

Placebo Abuser

Rep Points

All the reading I have been doing into CF and I am still blank on the subject. I mean it's pretty simple I guess. On the website they have a WOD (workout of the day) in which you visit daily, print it or write it down, look up the exercises if your confused about what exactly they are,and then you go to where ever it is you plan to do the workout and you get to it. It seems like exactly what I need to be doing ,but I hate the idea of having to learn all this shit, then adjust to it, then try to master it. Alot of shit and little time.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
    Anyone do crossfit?
    Nope. Not a fan. Good general principals, but too much emphasis on exercise intensity - I mean, their mascot is Rhabo the Clown, and a friend of mine almost died (seriously, he had the second-worst numbers EVER and almost ended up on dialysis) from rhabdomyolysis after attending a "boot camp", so I don't appreciate the attempt at humour in associating a life-threatening condition with a clown.

I do like the emphasis on compound and free movement patterns, and the general dietary guidelines. Overall, crossfit isn't a bad philosophy.

But I don't do philosophies. I just do what works.

My .02
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Agree w/ Built - the basic premises are great, but the main body of the Crossfit movement seems to be overly focused on intensity, particularly for beginners, and overtraining in general - I think we all know this sort of thing requires conditioning. I can move a lot of weight and do hours of cardio, but I believe I'd be keeling over if I went to a boot camp w/o some change in my training to get conditioned for it.

I think there's a bit of overkill in the competitive nature of it, and that's what drives people vs learning good form and managing "load".

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Placebo Abuser

Rep Points

Thanx ladies!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

After going to regionals I like even more and will be going into it fulltime...
    www.freesamplesshakes.com code:mb431236

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Agree w/ Built - the basic premises are great, but the main body of the Crossfit movement seems to be overly focused on intensity, particularly for beginners, and overtraining in general - I think we all know this sort of thing requires conditioning. I can move a lot of weight and do hours of cardio, but I believe I'd be keeling over if I went to a boot camp w/o some change in my training to get conditioned for it.

I think there's a bit of overkill in the competitive nature of it, and that's what drives people vs learning good form and managing "load".
    I agree with Built and Sassy. Crossfit has a some great fundamentals - work hard, train all the energy systems through a multitude of movements, train the entire body. However, it is highly unspecific and I don't really see a progression to it. I think the nonspecific nature of it is good for some disciplines, but even then I think there should be some sort of progression and periodization.

There is a difference between training hard and training smart. Both can be done at the same time. I can make a workout of that day that will make you puke, anyone can, that doesn't mean it is good.

I have seen some Crossfit videos of people taking Olympic lifts to failure...their form degradation was some of the worst I have ever seen. They were all over the place. Plus, they were doing it on concrete, just a bad idea for the joints.

This may be just my crazy opinion, but Crossfit often appears to me as a zealous cult.
    Last edited by fufu; 06-12-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.