What to do on HIT/HD rest days?

Rep Points

What to do on HIT/HD rest days?

I'm starting a high intensity training / heavy duty (Mike Mentzer) type training program.

Mike Suggests that you rest until you feel 100% - this can be anywhere around 6-8 days off.

What's the best things to do on these rest days? Surely just sitting on my ass and eating is too easy? (Though chicken and broccoli is starting to drive me crazy!)

But then again the whole idea of resting for 6 days is still thought to be crazy...

Anyway, I was thinking about some cardio but surely that's eating into recovery, anyone have any sources to help me out?

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Whenever i do a Mentzer style HIT program i take a good 3-4 days total rest between HIT workouts.

Depending on how intense you're going, how good your recovery ability is, and how well your workouts are progressing, either take less rest or more rest as you need. Eating enough food is also a huge factor.

I'm doing a fullbody HIT program (Ellington Darden style) right now, and im putting other, non-HIT weights sessions in there regularly without detriment to my results or recovery. I'm taking a rest day before and after each HIT session at least, and eating a LOT of food.

I'm also taking more rest if i feel tired, have DOMS, or just don't feel mentally ready for a workout of that intensity. You should be ready and fired up before every workout. If you're not, you probably need more rest.

If you are having trouble adding weight/reps to your sets you probably need some extra rest and food, aswell.

The problem with HIT programs is that this whole rest element is a big question mark, and can't be generalized for everybody. You really need to have a good awareness of your body and limitations to get the most out of it.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Goonie Goo Goo

Rep Points

I think a little cardio is a good idea, especially if you're doing 6-8 days off. I generally only take 4 off, but like Gaz said it varies person to person.

Rep Points

Thanks for the reply guys,

Today is rest day 4 and I still only feel maybe 70% so I'm resting tomorow also.

Cardio shouldn't eat into my rest too much if I do some tomorrow should it?

I'm doing a fullbody HIT program (Ellington Darden style) right now, and im putting other, non-HIT weights sessions in there regularly without detriment to my results or recovery.
    Gaz what is the goal you are trying to achive from your non-HIT weight sessions? strength, muscle growth, maintenance?

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

At the moment i'm alternating strength and explosive power workouts. Kinda crossfading the end of this HIT program with a westside style strength building program, haha.

Need to take more rest though, since yesterday i did a HIT workout the day after a power workout, and my performance took a huge dip. Just didn't have any opportunity to train with my HIT workout partner this week, lol.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

I have never tried this program, but I like incorporating light cardio, like basketball, 1mile run, tennis, to improve recovery. Increased circulation may improve recovery by bringing more nutrients into muscles. But as long as the cardio is not intense or taxing this should help

Goonie Goo Goo

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tkxii View Post
    I have never tried this program, but I like incorporating light cardio, like basketball, 1mile run, tennis, to improve recovery. Increased circulation may improve recovery by bringing more nutrients into muscles. But as long as the cardio is not intense or taxing this should help
    I agree with this. I've found that light cardio(15-30min) is beneficial to recovery.