• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What to do on HIT/HD rest days?

Energy

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm starting a high intensity training / heavy duty (Mike Mentzer) type training program.

Mike Suggests that you rest until you feel 100% - this can be anywhere around 6-8 days off.

What's the best things to do on these rest days? Surely just sitting on my ass and eating is too easy? (Though chicken and broccoli is starting to drive me crazy!)

But then again the whole idea of resting for 6 days is still thought to be crazy...

Anyway, I was thinking about some cardio but surely that's eating into recovery, anyone have any sources to help me out?

Whenever i do a Mentzer style HIT program i take a good 3-4 days total rest between HIT workouts.

Depending on how intense you're going, how good your recovery ability is, and how well your workouts are progressing, either take less rest or more rest as you need. Eating enough food is also a huge factor.

I'm doing a fullbody HIT program (Ellington Darden style) right now, and im putting other, non-HIT weights sessions in there regularly without detriment to my results or recovery. I'm taking a rest day before and after each HIT session at least, and eating a LOT of food.

I'm also taking more rest if i feel tired, have DOMS, or just don't feel mentally ready for a workout of that intensity. You should be ready and fired up before every workout. If you're not, you probably need more rest.

If you are having trouble adding weight/reps to your sets you probably need some extra rest and food, aswell.

The problem with HIT programs is that this whole rest element is a big question mark, and can't be generalized for everybody. You really need to have a good awareness of your body and limitations to get the most out of it.

I think a little cardio is a good idea, especially if you're doing 6-8 days off. I generally only take 4 off, but like Gaz said it varies person to person.

Thanks for the reply guys,

Today is rest day 4 and I still only feel maybe 70% so I'm resting tomorow also.

Cardio shouldn't eat into my rest too much if I do some tomorrow should it?

I'm doing a fullbody HIT program (Ellington Darden style) right now, and im putting other, non-HIT weights sessions in there regularly without detriment to my results or recovery.

Gaz what is the goal you are trying to achive from your non-HIT weight sessions? strength, muscle growth, maintenance?

At the moment i'm alternating strength and explosive power workouts. Kinda crossfading the end of this HIT program with a westside style strength building program, haha.

Need to take more rest though, since yesterday i did a HIT workout the day after a power workout, and my performance took a huge dip. Just didn't have any opportunity to train with my HIT workout partner this week, lol.

I have never tried this program, but I like incorporating light cardio, like basketball, 1mile run, tennis, to improve recovery. Increased circulation may improve recovery by bringing more nutrients into muscles. But as long as the cardio is not intense or taxing this should help

I have never tried this program, but I like incorporating light cardio, like basketball, 1mile run, tennis, to improve recovery. Increased circulation may improve recovery by bringing more nutrients into muscles. But as long as the cardio is not intense or taxing this should help

I agree with this. I've found that light cardio(15-30min) is beneficial to recovery.

Back