Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

UPDATE: Peru Court Sentences Van Der Sloot to 28 Years

'Van der Sloot' Google search stuns slain woman's brother

By Ashley Fantz

CNN UPDATED: 07:12 PM EDT 06.07.10(CNN) -

It was unlike Stephany Flores Ramirez not to come home on time. An avid poker player, the Peruvian 21-year-old lived with her father and knew he was expecting her after a night at a Texas Hold 'em tournament on May 30 in Lima.

"My father called me and said Stephany didn't come home, help me," Stephany's older brother Enrique Flores told CNN on Sunday. "So I went to the house and we started calling all the numbers of my sister's friends that I had and we called the police.

"Eventually, authorities found surveillance video of the young woman at the hotel where the tournament was held.

They found footage of Joran van der Sloot sitting next to Stephany, he said.

"At first, it was a relief because I saw her and that gave me hope," Enrique Flores said. "The people at the hotel told us, 'Yeah, she was with this guy. He seemed nice. He looked like Brad Pitt.'"

Van der Sloot is widely known as a suspect in the high-profile 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba.

The Dutch 22-year-old has repeatedly denied involvement in that case. He has twice been arrested and released but has not been charged.

Flores' battered body was found last week in a hotel room registered to van der Sloot. Hotel videotape clearly shows the two entering a room together May 30 at 5:16 a.m. local time.

Three hours and 20 minutes later, he left the hotel by himself carrying a backpack, telling the hotel staff not to bother "his girl," police said.

The Flores family is well known in Peru. Patriarch Ricardo Flores is a politically connected former race car driver. The four Flores sons, including Enrique Flores, run a successful event-planning business.

After police showed Enrique and his father the surveillance tape, they again began trying to find out more from people at the hotel, and obtained information about the man on the tape.

"They gave us his social security number and his name," the brother told CNN.

"We came back home and searched his name on the Internet. I cannot tell you the shock we felt."

"My wife typed 'Joran van der Sloot' into Google and started screaming for me to see," Enrique Flores told CNN on Sunday.

"I couldn't believe it. How could it be that guy?""All I have been doing is reading about Natalee Holloway and what her family has gone through," Flores said.

Stephany Flores was a trusting young woman, her family said. "My sister is very friendly ... always smiling, always nice to everyone," said Enrique Flores. "I think about how she felt with him, that she probably did not think ... and it is ... so hard to think about that."

"My sister was the only girl in our house, the queen of our family," he continued. "What she wanted, she got. She loved to play soccer" and would organize matches with her friends in the family's backyard.

She was in her third year studying business administration at University of Lima, and ran the merchandising arm of the family entertainment and event-promotion business, Enrique Flores said.

"She had a lot of friends," he said. "A lot of people are crying."

About an hour after Enrique Flores found out who the man on the videotape was, police called to say they had found his sister's body.

Investigators believe a tennis racquet found in the room was used in the killing, said Carlos Gonzalo, a spokesman for Peru's Interior Ministry.

When authorities knew who they were looking for, they found van der Sloot traveling alone in a taxi in Chile. Authorities said he had bloody clothes with him. He was taken into custody and transported to Peru where he remains jailed.

A Peruvian judge extended for another week the investigation into van der Sloot and he will remain jailed in Lima, Gonzalo said.

On Saturday, wearing a bulletproof vest, van der Sloot was paraded before reporters in Peru. He is the sole suspect in Flores' slaying, but he has not been formally charged, said Carlos Neyra, an official with the Peruvian National Police criminal investigation division.

Van der Sloot has a lawyer, officials said Sunday. The Netherlands Embassy says it is working with Peruvian authorities, Dutch officials have said the country will not pay for a defense attorney.

In Alabama on Thursday, the FBI announced van der Sloot is being charged in the United States for allegedly trying to extort $250,000 from someone related to the Holloway case. Van der Sloot allegedly promised to disclose the location of Holloway's body.

In the hours after his sister's wake, Enrique Flores is gripped with grief, sadness and determination. He cannot stand to talk for long about his sister until his voice cracks and he asks if the interview can please end. One sentence, though, before it does."We just want justice," he said.
    Last edited by Curt James; 01-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Holy Shit!

At least they finally got the son of a bitch, and also we have some closure on the Natalee Holloway case.

I am The Mad Hatter
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

That's so fucked up that they had him twice and let him right back out to kill again. On what bullshit technicality was he released?

He definitely don't look like Brad Pitt, but I'm sure he was perfectly capable of getting a girl. I don't understand why decent looking young men do shit like this and throw their lives away when they could have made something of themselves.
    Last edited by SYN; 06-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    little.girl.little.girl.you.should.close.your.eyes .that.view.is.gettin'.me.high

Thats Dr. Keke to you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SYN View Post
    That's so fucked up that they had him twice and let him right back out to kill again. On what bullshit technicality was he released?

He definitely don't look like Brad Pitt, but I'm sure he was perfectly capable of getting a girl. I don't understand why decent looking young men do shit like this and throw their lives away when they could have made something of themselves.
    Usually caused by a genetic propensity for having psychopathic tendencies.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

He fucked up now Chile don't play the Keystone cops Aruba played, plus it was a local girl with a prominent family....all kinds of fucked in the ass....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

I am The Mad Hatter
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    He fucked up now Chile don't play the Keystone cops Aruba played, plus it was a local girl with a prominent family....all kinds of fucked in the ass....
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe instead of jail he'll get face down in a pit somewhere. If only.
    little.girl.little.girl.you.should.close.your.eyes .that.view.is.gettin'.me.high

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

According to Peruvian authorities, he has reportedly confessed. Just saw that on CNN.

May get up to 35 years. No death sentence or life sentence in Peru.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Love it...this cock smoker got away with it before and now he will suffer. Who knows how many other women he has killed.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

A D M I N I S T R A T O R

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points

Why does it seem there is a tendency for people who commit these types of crimes to want to get caught eventually ?
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/images/b...dpharma728.gif

" A cookie without sugar is just a cracker" ~ ancient voodoo proverb
    "A man with infinite patience is never left waiting."~ROID's past incarnation

I am The Mad Hatter
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ROID View Post
    Why does it seem there is a tendency for people who commit these types of crimes to want to get caught eventually ?
    I think it's because on some level they're disgusted by themselves and know they need to be stopped.

Metrosexual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SYN View Post
    I think it's because on some level they're disgusted by themselves and know they need to be stopped.
    Not exactly. It's actually a superiority complex; but what's the point of being so superior when nobody knows it's you? It's the desire for acknowledgment of their work that causes them to get caught.

Studying serials killers is a hobby of mine.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Peru Prison Conditions According to Human Rights Report

The conditions in Peruvian prisons was one of the sections looked at in the 2009 U.S. Department of State Human Rights Report, published March 11 2010.

As of last year there were 44,800 inmates (2,794 women) locked up in Peruvian prisons and conditions are described as 'harsh'. If a prisoner has money they can purchase luxuries such as cell phones, meals from outside and drugs. For a prisoner who is poor these small luxuries are not possible.

All prisons are considered overcrowded with poor sanitation, lack of nutrition from the food with unsanitary kitchen conditions and epidemic levels of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. There is also unreliable running water, kitchen facilities and some prisoners having to sleep in hallways due to lack of space.

"Prison guards and fellow inmates reportedly abused prisoners. There were deaths of inmates in prisons, most attributed to fellow inmates, but some were due to negligence by guards. Guards received little or no training or supervision. Corruption was a serious problem, and some guards cooperated with criminal bosses who oversaw the smuggling of guns and drugs into prisons."
    Source: state.gov

It is not known where Joran Van Der Sloot may be jailed if he is found guilty and sentenced to prison time in Peru, but this is an overview of two maximum security prisons and the likely conditions found inside these prisons. "
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

I am The Mad Hatter
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Not exactly. It's actually a superiority complex; but what's the point of being so superior when nobody knows it's you? It's the desire for acknowledgment of their work that causes them to get caught.

Studying serials killers is a hobby of mine.
    Yes this is much more likely, but there has to be a few of them, at least the smaller time ones like this kid, who know what they did is wrong and that they are a sick sick person who needs help...or a death sentence.

I am The Mad Hatter
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gears View Post
    can we just be blunt for a second and acknowledge that Vanderknob is gonna get his asshole stretched to insane dimensions inside that peruvian joint?
    I hope he likes cock meat sandwiches.