Nutritional data

Rep Points

Nutritional data

Reading on a side of sausage I was using for lasagna and it was in the ball park of 16g fat, 0 carbs, 10g protein, maybe 180 calories per 4oz serving. When I cook it, a lot of fat comes off that is not transfered into my sauce.

How does one accurately keep track of calories if nutritional data is for the food in raw form(I should ask, when you use meats are the nutritional datas set for raw or cooked) when you cook a lot of the fats off. I am just trying to input things into fitday.

I am guessing the overall answer will be to use the worst case scenario since I am cutting.
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You have to make an educated guess. The only way to be exact would be to weigh the grease runoff with digital scales and make calculations accordingly.

Rep Points

Okay so the data on packaging is infact for food that is in its current form(raw)? I have a really really good scale, and it may not be worth the hassle since worst case calculations are best for my cut anyways. This was really something I have always pondered.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
    Okay so the data on packaging is infact for food that is in its current form(raw)? I have a really really good scale, and it may not be worth the hassle since worst case calculations are best for my cut anyways. This was really something I have always pondered.
    Normally,yes.

I have found that it best to structure your macros around, as you said, the worst case scenerio. (i.e., as if you were going to consume all macronutrients on the label) This way, you can't go wrong. If you start trying to figure out rendered fat/waste percentages, you might make matters worse. Besides, grease rendered from meats isn't 100% fat.

Wait a minute.....Entering Lasagna into Fitday? Lasgana? You're Cutting?

Rep Points

I knew someone woukd catch onto that lasagna part. Homemade, whole wheat pasta, my own sauce, hot italian sausage, low fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta, low fat mozerella. I had about 800 calories in my piece. I tend to play it safe all day so i can eat a good dinner. Tonight is an 8oz "prime" grade ribeye with veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor View Post
    Normally,yes.

I have found that it best to structure your macros around, as you said, the worst case scenerio. (i.e., as if you were going to consume all macronutrients on the label) This way, you can't go wrong. If you start trying to figure out rendered fat/waste percentages, you might make matters worse. Besides, grease rendered from meats isn't 100% fat.

Wait a minute.....Entering Lasagna into Fitday? Lasgana? You're Cutting?

Rep Points

okay, lets get picky.

I bought some 90% lean ground beef/sirloin to make burgers(and they were mighty good) and i yielded a 7oz burger. I havent a clue what I started with but should I just take the raw nutritional data for the cooked food so then I am on the worst case scenario like early stated?

Did I mention homemade burgers are a million times better than frozen disks?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Ok I think you are getting a bit picky here.

In reality how much change in the macros are going to be lost? Maybe a couple grams of fat? A whopping 18 calories.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IainDaniel View Post
    Ok I think you are getting a bit picky here.

In reality how much change in the macros are going to be lost? Maybe a couple grams of fat? A whopping 18 calories.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    I agree, unless one is on a diet like PSMF/RFL where the maximum fat/carb intake is 20 grams (each)....those few grams might have an impact. Otherwise, I wouldn't get O.C.D. about it.

It depends on your goals, and your diet.....which doesn't seem too strict considering you're eating lasagna and burgers, lol.

Rep Points

You guys are right. Thanks. Being a math person makes me want to tally everything.